Kurt

Default Looking for speaker recomendations - Under $1500 / pair

On 14 Jul 2003 04:47:47 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote:

Jack Dotson wrote:
When properly set-up and with the right amplification I don't think there is
a better deal in the speaker world than the Maggie's.

I concur. The MMGs for instance, at $550 a pair, are shockingly good
for that amount of money.

People rag on them and say they aren't full range and so on - but
name me ONE $550 speaker that does what it does. For what it is,
it is a superb deal. Incredible, in fact - and a sign of just how
overpriced and shoddy conventional speakers in that price range
really are.

I bought my first set of Maggies (MMG) about 8 months ago. I was a
confirmed Vandersteen fan, having graduated from the 1b's to the 2Ce.
I built myself a set of stands for about $25 at Home Deopt, see the
URL below for the instructions I used:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/magnapan1.htm

This puts the MMG's up in the air about 8 inches and vertical. On the
stock stands the soundstage sounded somewhat like it was coming up out
of the floor. The MMG's paired with a HSU VTF-2 sub is pure heaven.
For the first time in over 30 years I am listening to the music
instead of the speakers. These things are so incredibly open and
balanced it is unbelievable. It took me about a week to integrate the
sub (crossover and volume) and about 95% of the time you don't even
know it is there. I sold my Vandy 2Ce's after only two days with the
MMG's!

For $1050 for the MMG's and the HSU VTF-2, that leaves you $450 to
buy a bigger amp (audiogon, ebay, etc) and use your Cambridge as a
preamp. The MMG's have a 60 day home trial and the VTF-2 has a 30 day
trial. The only way to accurately evaluate a speaker system in your
listening room.

I truly love this setup, I would encourage you to investigate this
angle. I have included a couple of links below.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/magnepan_mmg.htm

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/hsu_vtf2.htm

http://www.magnepan.com
Check out "The offer we hope you can't resist" link

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_119590_2741crx.aspx
VTF-2 user reviews

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Spea...4_1594crx.aspx