Joseph Oberlander

Default Looking for speaker recomendations - Under $1500 / pair

AndyB wrote:

My target price (subject to change based on input of course)
is to spend under $1500 for the pair.

The equipment I will drive them with is
Cambridge Audio A500 65W Integrated amp (and phono pre-amp) 65 watts
RMS (8 Ohms) / 85 watts RMS (6 Ohms)
Cambridge Audio D500se CD Player
Dual CS-500 Turntable with Surve V15-MR cartridge

Fine basic setup. I have a simmilar Dual turntable and cartridge,
though not as nice - lol. Acceptable for everyday listening
on a budget.

The room is a 20'D X 40'W X 7'H with accoustic tile ceiling

Not a fan of acoustic tiles myself. 20*40 is a big room, btw.

I am not looking for something "too bright" as I can find
bright speakers a little overpowering after a while. However,
I am interested in good imaging and a detailed sound stage.

Good - that helps some.

KEF and Tannoy are top choices for a more mellow top-end,
as are Magnepans and the Ellis Audio 1801b(plus a few others)

The Magnepans have a very bright top-end, but it is so dispersed
and clean that it doesn't hit you in the face like a typical
tweeter. The fact that the Magnepans have almost no fatigue
fom listening helps some, too.

I always EQ out most everything above 16khz anyways on
brighter speakers. The Tannoys and KEFs were the first speakers
in a long time that I didn't have to do this to.

For low end extension I have room (in the room and in the budget)
for a subwoofer if needed, so I am considering small speakers on
stands as well as floor standers. Small speakers on stands tend
to be a little cheaper since the cabinets are cheaper. I already
have a set of nice sand filled stands to use.

Good. Most speakers, like a pair of Tannoy Saturn 6/8 towers
will do fine without a subwoofer. You may have to get the bass
up a bit, though, if your room is a bit "dead" - or use an equalizer
to boost the bass some. My home - very live sound. My father's
carpeted filled with plush furniture living room - needs about
2-4db bass boost.

My typical listening levels are not very loud. I don't need
to shake the house, but sometimes I do like to hear an orchestra
sound powerfull. My musical tastes are all over the map. I would
say I mostly listen to classic rock, experimental rock, and blues,
and female vocals in general but almost anything is fair game.

(Is it reasonable to run magnepans off this amp, or am I under powered?)

It needs to be able to drive 4 ohms. That's pretty much all it
needs - most any power level will do as long as it is reasonable.
(20wpc tube amps are kind of iffy)

One speaker that cought my eye is the CDM1 NT from B&W

I listened to this. It is not as good as the big Mirage FRX and
Tannoy R series towers, let alone the Saturns. The Mirage FRx-nine
is a sweet speaker, btw - subwoofer built into each speaker and
very clean top-end for the price.

The Tannoy lacks the bass impact, but is smooooooth. MOst realistic
sounding voices that I've heard out of a commercial speaker at
this price.

Another choice, which would be perfect is a used mint condition
pair of KEF 104/2 speakers. These were THE reference speaker
for almost a decade and still are amazing speakers for the
price. A pair plus re-foaming should cost about $1300 or so.

I have heard a lot of good things about Paradigm, but I can't seem
to find much info online.

Paradigm and MIrage are pretty simmilar sounding - both solid
performers for the price.

For the subwoofer I am condering building the 10" Titanic Vance
subwoofer kit from Parts Express.

I good tower will make a subwoofer for music moot.

One last q:

- What is your maximum price if you were to factor in the
price of the subwoofer into a single pair of full-range
speakers?