AndyB

Default Looking for speaker recomendations - Under $1500 / pair

I am looking for speaker suggestions so I have some
idea what to go listen to. The choices are staggering.

My target price (subject to change based on input of course)
is to spend under $1500 for the pair.

The equipment I will drive them with is
Cambridge Audio A500 65W Integrated amp (and phono pre-amp) 65 watts
RMS (8 Ohms) / 85 watts RMS (6 Ohms)
Cambridge Audio D500se CD Player
Dual CS-500 Turntable with Surve V15-MR cartridge

The room is a 20'D X 40'W X 7'H with accoustic tile ceiling

I am not looking for something "too bright" as I can find
bright speakers a little overpowering after a while. However,
I am interested in good imaging and a detailed sound stage.

For low end extension I have room (in the room and in the budget)
for a subwoofer if needed, so I am considering small speakers on
stands as well as floor standers. Small speakers on stands tend
to be a little cheaper since the cabinets are cheaper. I already
have a set of nice sand filled stands to use.

My typical listening levels are not very loud. I don't need
to shake the house, but sometimes I do like to hear an orchestra
sound powerfull. My musical tastes are all over the map. I would
say I mostly listen to classic rock, experimental rock, and blues,
and female vocals in general but almost anything is fair game.

(Is it reasonable to run magnepans off this amp, or am I under powered?)

One speaker that cought my eye is the CDM1 NT from B&W

I have heard a lot of good things about Paradigm, but I can't seem
to find much info online.

For the subwoofer I am condering building the 10" Titanic Vance
subwoofer kit from Parts Express.

I was also consider the Odin MK III Kit (Madisound or Zalytron) for
speakers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AndyB