Bob Marcus

Default What is so high end about high end?

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message ...
"Nousaine" wrote in message
. net...

Why don't you or Harry include bias controlled listening in your methods?

It's
not that hard. Be more inclusive and tolerant.

"
"It's not that hard?" Reading RAHE posts makes it look like a very
involved process, especially since RAHE members argue at length about the
validity of the methods, the conduct of the tests, and the credibility of
the results.

Remember, some people here want to make it seem as hard as possible,
because they don't want to deal with its implications.

Indeed, if you want to do publishable research, it is quite a chore
getting everything right. But as this is only a hobby, you don't have
to take it that far, if you don't want to.

But if there is a simple method I would like to see instructions. I
am considering comparing three amps I own. Normally I would have just
substited and listened to each a few days, comparing opinions with my wife
as we went along, but I will consider bias controlled listening.

Do you have a way to plug in two amps at once and switch between them?
You also need a way to level-match them. That's done at the speaker
terminals with a voltmeter, and I'll let someone who knows what
they're talking about explain that process.

All you need is an assistant who, without your knowledge, flips a coin
and decides which amp gets plugged into which output. That way, you're
comparing two amps, level-matched, without knowing which is which. You
can switch between them at will (which means you can switch back and
forth fairly constantly, or you can listen for a long time to one,
then to the other).

This isn't perfect. Just knowing that they're two different amps might
be enough to make you think they sound different. (Really! Our brains
aren't as reliable as we think.) But you might find that, listening
blind, it's a lot harder to spot the distinguishing characteristics
that seemed so obvious when you knew which amp was which.

bob