Steven Sullivan

Default What is so high end about high end?

Nousaine wrote:
"Dennis Moore"
wrote:

Nousaine,

You tell me you don't do this for love of music. But for simple
realism in playback. And you wonder why you may not
have the same experience as one who does sometimes have
emotional experience to music.

Who says I don't have emotional experiences to music? I just have given up the
conceit that I buy/use audio equipment to increase that enjoyment in respect to
the art. The art doesn't change with the reproduction devices.

I watched Susan Tedeschi perform last night in a small open-air ampitheater and
I loved every minute of it. It didn't lack realism even though not a single
note was 'acoustical' but played back over a large PA system.

Did I break a tear over "Miss You"? Sure. Does play back of that song on my
home system produce the same tear? On a musical level, of course.

On a 'realism' level? .... no, because her Susan-ness wasn't 30 years in front
of me.

But I won't tell myself for one minute that I enjoy reproduced audio for the
love of music. If the 'music' strikes me with enough power I can enjoy it on my
1941 Zenith AM table radio.

...replicating the experience of millions and millions people over the years,
who have 'connected' to music via equipment that wouldn't pass even the least
stringent 'audiophile' muster.

--
-S.