Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default Problem Advents

On 2/4/2015 4:25 PM, wrote:
Maybe somebody here might have a useful suggestion.

I have a pair of Advent Legacy speakers which I bought in the late 80's,
new, driven by an SR-3A Nakamichi receiver. About 16 years ago the foam
in the woofers basically disintegrated and I had them rebuilt by a lab
in PA, can't remember the name. They sounded really great afterwards.
Anyway, they sound pretty bad now - sort of mushy and fuzzy.. Can't
make out the lyrics easily to well produced songs. The foam around the
woofers still looks perfect. I have Audio-technica headphones and the
receiver is very clear through them. I played some music through the
Advents at volume and headphones at the same time to see if the clarity
was breaking down with a load larger than the headphones, and the
Advents sounded fuzzy and the A-T's sounded clear. Any ideas regarding
cleaning the sound of these babies up? Gotten attached to them over the
last 35 years:-)

Hello,

I agree with what Dave Platt said. there is also the possibility of a
tweeter or crossover problem. You can check that both tweeters are
working by listening up close, you should be able to hear sound coming
from the tweeter.

I'm guessing that the speaker rebuilder you used was Bill LeGall at
Millersound:

http://www.millersound.net/contact.htm

I've had great service from him.

Regards,