Harry Lavo

Default The very best of classical surround stereo - Pollini's Chopin

Deutsch Gramophone is not noted for its lifelike engineering, but when it
comes to SACD they are doing something right. Of the several DG's I've
heard, none have been bad and most much better sounding than their stereo cd
versions. Moreover, they seem to be going back to the master tapes and
avoiding all compression. But nothing prepared me for this.

DG's 1976 recording of Maurice Pollini playing Chopin Polonaises is
absolutely stunning. The piano (not indicated) is located on the stage of
the Grosser Saal of the Vienna Musikverein. The ambience in the rear
channels appears to be real, distant ambiance and not a synthetic
reproduction. Moreover, since this is a solo instrument DG's engineers
haven't much chance to muck up the sound with two much multimiking, as is
their want. As a result, the piano is presented as a solid image at a
believable stage distance, with just enough of the outstanding hall
acoustics to give the piano the warm acoustics appropriate to Chopin. This
is far and away one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard, in any
medium. The lower registers in particular combine with the halls acoustics
to stunning effect.

As to the performance, well, Pollini is top-notch and these are beautifully
realized performances. Combined with the exquisite sound, this is a must
have disk for anybody with a SACD player and a multichannel setup. And a
highly recommended one for everybody else (it is a hybrid). Two thumbs up
and five stars on this one.

Harry. Lavo
"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" - Duke Ellington