Arny Krueger

Default Yet Another Headphone Question !!

"SST" wrote in message
news
A little melodramatic?

Well "SST" you're the guy who introduced and keeps adding profanity into
this thread:

"SST" wrote in message
. net

"How the hell are you listening to them with your NJB?"

If you read the thread with a tad more comprehension you would see I
was speaking from experience.

There's not one word of evidence of that in your post. OK, so you can read
the HD580 spec sheet, good for you!

I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Well dooh!

The lack of drive equates to a thin, lifeless sound.

If you're deaf enough, I guess so.

If this is acceptable to you then enjoy.

Somehow I have a hard time equating what I hear from my 580s as being "thin,
lifeless sound".

Its certainly not for me. I have been an avid listener for
very many years and have become a bit fussy with what is acceptable.

You are making this 56-year-old who generally likes his music loud scratch
his head. As I just said upthread, I've recently reviewed this with some
other old codgers like me who happen to use 580s with a any of number of
portable players, and we just don't get it. Maybe its the fact that we've
been protecting not intentionally abusing our ears all of our lives that
makes a difference.

For **** and giggles I will try my HD600's on a variety of portables
again and describe the lack of luster to you.

If luster is what you want, perhaps Sony 7506s would be more to your liking.
I've got those too. So what?

I will need to find or buy a 1/4 inch to micro adapter first (got one

somewhere, I'm sure).

How tedious does a person have to be to even mention such a trivial thing as
a 1/4" to 3.5 mm headphone adaptor.

I will then borrow a buddy's HeadWize phoneamp and describe what
you're missing.

IMO, that must involve what I would find to be ear-splitting sound levels.

You know "SST" you're not the only guy in this discussion with a headphone
amp. I have one too (Rane) and it can get really loud, but in this
application, I just don't feel the need for it.

I am friends with a couple of marketing people over
at Sennheiser, I'm ask them for their opinion but I am sure they will
agree that the output stage of a portable is way to low to properly
drive a set of 300 Ohm headphones.

Can we take them at their word when they say:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/p...phones/580.htm

"The HD 580 can be connected directly to HiFi systems of the highest
quality, in particular DAT, DCC, and CD players. "

The NJB3 headphone jack puts out 1 volt RMS, which seems to be typical of
most of the DAT and CD players I've worked with lately.