chung

Default Dithering Digital Audio

Svante wrote:
Rajappa Iyer wrote in message news:d9HFb.112679$8y1.349794@attbi_s52...
"Karl Uppiano" writes:

I decided to start a new thread about Digital Audio and Dithering from the
thread "Volume and Dynamic Range Question".

[ good explanation snipped ]

Incidentally, there's a nice explanation of dither with plots at

http://www.cadenzarecording.com/dither.html

That should hopefully help in clearing up some misconceptions about
dither.

rsi

Hmmm... Figure 2 in that page has an error. The sine wave is not
quantised to 16 bits, it is quantised to 16 levels, or 4 bits. The
same error appears in the text at numerous places.
So I guess the page could add at least one misconception as well...
:-)

No, I don't think that was an error. The author was showing a low-level
sine wave. In other words, only the lowest 4 bits of the possible full
16 bits were used to represent the sine wave. You can think of the sine
wave as having a peak that is around -72dB relative to full scale.

What seems a little strange is that in fig. 8, there are now only 14
levels. But overall, the author did a good job of explaining dither.