MS

"Julian" wrote in message

MS wrote:

The SP PA, on the other hand, has a three position switch for gain (0db,
29db, and 50 db), and a rotary dial for "level". (Could someone please
explain the difference between "gain" and "level"?

Julian wrote:

You immediately answer your question:

No I didn't. (Rest of quote of my previous message, that Julian is referring
to, appears below this message, and more of his response.) Yes, I said that
it looks like one would leave the three positions gain switch (on the SP)
set to one place, and use the rotary continuous level dial for fine-tuning
it.

However, as I said, the Reactive PA has no gain multi-position switch, only
a continuous rotary dial. But in this case the continuous rotary dial
controls gain itself, which they (Reactive) asserts is much better, than
having the rotary dial control level, as the SP PA does.

Therefore, my question was not whether a rotary dial is used for fine
tuning, which is rather obvious, but what is actually the difference between
gain and level, and is there really an advantage (as Reactive asserts) in
having the rotary dial control gain rather than level?

I also mentioned that it seemed simpler to have the one control of the
Reactive rather than the two of the SP. If the one control was only the
three-position gain switch, with no rotary dial (like the Church Audio PA),
I'd consider that a distinct disadvantage, with no possibility of
fine-tuning the setting, just three settings to choose from. But with the
one setting being a continuous rotary dial, controlling gain directly, that
might be preferable. I really don't know, just asking.

You write: "If the knob (rotary level dial on SP PA) increases level or
decreases it from the preset gain switch..........".

Which does it do---increase or decrease? I have seen no documentation that
explains it. Anyone know?

MS wrote:

The 0 db setting gives no pre-amp function at all, I guess then
functioning like a battery box, the 50 db setting is probably too high

for
most uses, so I would guess most users leave the gain setting to 29db,

and
do fine setting with the rotary level dial.

Julian wrote:

If the knob increases level or decreases it from the preset gain
switch then you could fine tune each setting. If you wanted less than
29 dB gain, setting the switch to zero and using the level knob might
do it. Probably 29 will be a most usual setting, but If you are
recording bird calls or something really really quiet you'll want the
full 50 dB and then some. You get the basic idea, and all 3 switch
settings can be useful.

Julian