Paul Stamler

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
news:xI%oe.33206$wr.6267@clgrps12...
"Joseph Oberlander" wrote:

Every time you splice a wire you loose 2-4db per splice.

I beg your pardon? How do you figure that?

And even if that were true, that wouldn't explain the relays clicking in and
out, because the splices would be adding resistance which would presumably
reduce current draw.

Two possibilities. First, something is putting a very low-resistance load on
the line, possibly a strand of one of the wires shorting to the other
conductor. It's very thin, so it's not a dead short, but it's still enough
that when the volume goes up, it draws enough current to kick the amp into
protection mode.

Second, the added capacitance of the longer wire is causing the amp to go
unstable, and the protection circuits are kicking in because of that.

I'd rate the first idea as most probable, the second as improbable but not
impossible. Go get some 12 gauge wire, enough to do the run with no splices,
and when you strip it and connect it, keep an eye open for stray strands.

Peace,
Paul