Posted to rec.audio.pro
DDSA DDSA is offline

Default Zoom H2 or H4 for piano recording?

From your priviledged point of view, which is the best choice for acustic
piano recording between Zoom h4 and h2.

p.s. I will use only internal microphones.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

On Oct 2, 10:47 am, "DDSA" wrote:
From your priviledged point of view, which is the best choice for acustic
piano recording between Zoom h4 and h2.

p.s. I will use only internal microphones.

Based on my H2 2weeks of acoustic & rock festivals and my knowlege of
H4 issues the answer IMHO is... H2

Kevin T

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

DDSA wrote:
From your priviledged point of view, which is the best choice for acustic
piano recording between Zoom h4 and h2.

Whichever you decide on, you will have to keep the unit
close to the piano so that you can avoid the noise that
you will hear with higher gain settings.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DDSA DDSA is offline

Thank you for your opinions.
I think waiting to hear a piano sample with H2 before buying it.
All H4 piano samples (in pianoforum.com) sounded me a bit dry, without soul.
For example: http://www.box.net/public/v5n7nl7t6r Lack of high tones?
Do you agree?
I hope that H2 with 4 microphones will do a better job.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 3, 3:32 am, "DDSA" wrote:

All H4 piano samples (in pianoforum.com) sounded me a bit dry, without soul.
I hope that H2 with 4 microphones will do a better job.

There are bad piano recordings made with extremely fine microphones.
Do you expect that anyone posting a piano recording made with a
recorder like this on the Internet is a competent engineer recording a
good piano in a good room? Buy one. Record your piano with it.
Experiment with placement. If you can't get a satisfactory recording,
send it back.

But . . . is there ANY way that you can make a piano recording that
you'll be happy with? Do you really expect Nirvana from a $200
recorder with built-in mics? They're not bad but if I really cared,
I'd always use better mics. The H4 and H2 are great for "sound
grabbing" and will let you make a passable recording when you wouldn't
ordinarily be able to record. And while it's no Mytek or Lavry or even
Apogee, the digital part isn't bad enough to ruin a good source.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

On Oct 3, 3:32 am, "DDSA" wrote:
Thank you for your opinions.
I think waiting to hear a piano sample with H2 before buying it.
All H4 piano samples (in pianoforum.com) sounded me a bit dry, without soul.
For example:http://www.box.net/public/v5n7nl7t6rLack of high tones?
Do you agree?

Its a joint stereo 160 MP3 its high freq "souls been lossy compressed"
try lossless
I hope that H2 with 4 microphones will do a better job.

4 is not neccessily better than 2 but IMHO
a good H2 placement w/ a good piano in a a good room would sound
better than an H4
and MUCH better than any $200 commercially available digital recorder.

Kevin T