TonyAtRest

Default AVR-1801 Receiver Shuts Down

I have a Denon AVR-1801 receiver that shut down while watching a DVD commentary
track at low volume and now everytime I turn it back on it shuts down again
after about 5 seconds. I re-set it ("Initialization of the Micoprocessor") but
it still shuts down. I have had it about 4 years and this is the first
problem, but it is of course no longer under warranty. Is it worth having
someone look at it which I assume will cost at least 50 bucks just to take it
in? Or should I just forget it and buy a new one because even if I get it
fixed pretty cheap, I will still have a 4 year old unit which would be likely
to break down again soon. I have a low budget right now, going through a
divorce. Thanks...

Tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976
chung

TonyAtRest wrote:

I have a Denon AVR-1801 receiver that shut down while watching a DVD commentary
track at low volume and now everytime I turn it back on it shuts down again
after about 5 seconds. I re-set it ("Initialization of the Micoprocessor") but
it still shuts down. I have had it about 4 years and this is the first
problem, but it is of course no longer under warranty. Is it worth having
someone look at it which I assume will cost at least 50 bucks just to take it
in? Or should I just forget it and buy a new one because even if I get it
fixed pretty cheap, I will still have a 4 year old unit which would be likely
to break down again soon. I have a low budget right now, going through a
divorce. Thanks...

Tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976

Could it possibly be something intermittently shorting out the speaker
terminals? Have you tried disconnecting all the speakers and see if the
receiver still shuts down?
TonyAtRest

Could it possibly be something intermittently shorting out the speaker
terminals? Have you tried disconnecting all the speakers and see if the
receiver still shuts down?

Oh of course; I even tried it in a different outlet. I got it fixed--cost
$120.88 for "resisitors R141 and R142." Cost 88c for parts and $120.00 for
labor.