Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

Old June 29th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

Hello,

I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.

Does that mean a high-ohm rating has a correlation to sound quality?

Old June 29th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore

genericaudioperson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
> at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.
>
> Does that mean a high-ohm rating has a correlation to sound quality?

No.

Graham

Old June 29th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"genericaudioperson" wrote ...
> I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
> at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.

The higher impedance ones are more likely the ones designed
for the more "conventional" market. The lower-impedance ones
(32 ohms, etc.) sound more like they were designed for the iPod
crowd.

(Lower impedance for iPod, because portable players like iPod,
et.al. run on a lower voltage and it takes a lower impedance to get
equivalent power (=sound levels).

> Does that mean a high-ohm rating has a correlation to sound quality?

No. There is no real correlation between impedance and "sound quality".

Old June 29th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey]

Hi Richard

Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.

No matter what studio you visit in the world they will always have
those earphones....TV... Radio .... whatever.

There will always be individual DJ's and home Hi-Fi buffs who will
swear by differing makes and models but the standard has, and it
seems, will always be DT100.

They can be purchased in various Impedance values. Basically,
impedance has nothing to do with quality, only to do with loudness.
So, the higher the impedance the lower the loudness....Okay? In
simple terms. I am sure that a lot of contributors will have a lot to
say about that statement? I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM
speaker will be much louder than an 8 OHM speaker when driven by the
same amp.?

This stuff has always been 'black magic'.

Dec [Cluskey]

Old June 29th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86[_2_]

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

> I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM
> speaker will be much louder than an 8 OHM speaker when driven by the
> same amp.?

All other things being equal, it will be about 3dB louder.

In which universe does 3dB qualify as "much louder"?

Might want to re-examine that theory.

Old June 29th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

> I base my theory on the fact that a 4 ohm speaker will be
> much louder than an 8 ohm speaker when driven by the
> same amp?

Much?

Given an amp that's a constant voltage source, a 4-ohm (not OHM) speaker
will pull twice the power that an 8-ohm speaker does. That's 3dB -- only a
_slight_ difference in loudness. And that assumes both speakers have the
same efficiency -- which they probably don't. The 4-ohm speaker could very
likely play at a lower level.

Old June 29th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys

"Dec [Cluskey]" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi Richard
>
> Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
> to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
> always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.
>
> No matter what studio you visit in the world they will always have
> those earphones....TV... Radio .... whatever.
>
> There will always be individual DJ's and home Hi-Fi buffs who will
> swear by differing makes and models but the standard has, and it
> seems, will always be DT100.
>
> They can be purchased in various Impedance values. Basically,
> impedance has nothing to do with quality, only to do with loudness.
> So, the higher the impedance the lower the loudness....Okay? In
> simple terms. I am sure that a lot of contributors will have a lot to
> say about that statement? I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM
> speaker will be much louder than an 8 OHM speaker when driven by the
> same amp.?
>
> This stuff has always been 'black magic'.
>
> Dec [Cluskey]

I don't think I'd call Ohm's Law "black magic" ;o)

Old June 29th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore

"Dec [Cluskey]" wrote:

> Hi Richard
>
> Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
> to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
> always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.

They sound rubbish though.

Graham

Old June 29th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

genericaudioperson > wrote:

>I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
>at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.
>
>Does that mean a high-ohm rating has a correlation to sound quality?

No, not at all. But the cheaper ones tend to be lower impedance so they
will be louder with portable gear that has limited voltage drive (due
to running on batteries).

You'll still find a few 600 ohm ones too. That used to be the industry
standard for years and years. They sound great plugged into an Ampex,
not so good plugged into an iPod.

Old June 29th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore

"Dec [Cluskey]" wrote:

> I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM speaker will be much louder than an
> 8 OHM speaker when driven by the same amp.?

Only if you think 3dB is 'much louder' !

Most ppl wouldn't.

Graham