Max. size of USB flash-drive for car decks?

Old April 22nd 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.audio.car
Tom[_4_]

Default Max. size of USB flash-drive for car decks?

What's the largest size of a USB flash-drive (aka thumb-drive) that someone
has used successfully in a car deck with a USB port? And what was the make
& model of deck & flash-drive?

I keep reading about device errors above 2GB to 4GB but I was hoping to use
2X or 4X that capacity for MP3, WMA, etc.. An example would be the A-DATA
PD2 16GB model for <$200. Specs on various head units say a "USB mass
storage device" w/USB 2.0 should be fully readable but I don't know what to
believe. Thanks for any info.

Tom
Old April 22nd 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi

On Apr 21, 7:35 pm, Tom > wrote:
> What's the largest size of a USB flash-drive (aka thumb-drive) that someone
> has used successfully in a car deck with a USB port? And what was the make
> & model of deck & flash-drive?
>
> I keep reading about device errors above 2GB to 4GB but I was hoping to use
> 2X or 4X that capacity for MP3, WMA, etc.. An example would be the A-DATA
> PD2 16GB model for <$200. Specs on various head units say a "USB mass
> storage device" w/USB 2.0 should be fully readable but I don't know what to
> believe. Thanks for any info.
>
> Tom

I used a 2 gigabyte SD card before... worked most of the time, but
some songs the head unit completely skipped over. When I plugged the
SD card in the computer, it worked perfectly. So it must have been
the head unit itself. But anyways, if you are going to buy a 16 GB
flash card for around 200 dollars, you might want to consider buying a
30 gig iPod for 225 dollars instead with a good aux in with the head
unit.

Old April 22nd 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.audio.car
Tom[_4_]

Mariachi > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Apr 21, 7:35 pm, Tom > wrote:
>> What's the largest size of a USB flash-drive (aka thumb-drive) that
>> someone has used successfully in a car deck with a USB port? And what
>> was the make & model of deck & flash-drive?
>>
>> I keep reading about device errors above 2GB to 4GB but I was hoping
>> to use 2X or 4X that capacity for MP3, WMA, etc.. An example would be
>> the A-DATA PD2 16GB model for <$200. Specs on various head units say
>> a "USB mass storage device" w/USB 2.0 should be fully readable but I
>> don't know what to believe. Thanks for any info.
>>
>> Tom

> I used a 2 gigabyte SD card before... worked most of the time, but
> some songs the head unit completely skipped over. When I plugged the
> SD card in the computer, it worked perfectly. So it must have been
> the head unit itself. But anyways, if you are going to buy a 16 GB
> flash card for around 200 dollars, you might want to consider buying a
> 30 gig iPod for 225 dollars instead with a good aux in with the head
> unit.

Something tells me an SD card is not as electronically-adept for this
purpose as a "thumb" drive but I have no evidence.

The iPod angle may seem practical but I don't want to worry about keeping
anything charged or deal with moving parts and finding a docking place.
Solid state is the main angle. I also want something tiny that I can hide
in the car. I like USB decks with rear cables so you don't have the flash-
drive sticking out of the face. They could recess a front USB port so the
stick barely protrudes.

I'm not understanding why larger flash drives are harder to read, or why
manufacturers remain vague about max. storage size (e.g.
www.kenwood.com/usb/). FAT 16 & FAT 32 issues have been mentioned, but that
Kenwood link doesn't list them as size limitations. With 2GB flash-drive
prices under $35 it could be economical to get a handful vs. one larger
stick. Surely someone has tested at least an 8GB flash-drive?

Tom
Old April 23rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.audio.car
John[_28_]

>I also want something tiny that I can hide
>in the car. I like USB decks with rear >cables so you don't have the

flash-
>drive sticking out of the face. They could >recess a front USB port so

the
>stick barely protrudes.

I agree with you, I've always been a big fan of Alpine, but their usb
adaption requires some extra hardware.

--
John
Old May 22nd 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.audio.car
CT

On Apr 21, 11:19 pm, Tom > wrote:
> Mariachi > wrote roups.com:
>

> > On Apr 21, 7:35 pm, Tom > wrote:
> >> What's the largest size of a USB flash-drive (aka thumb-drive) that
> >> someone has used successfully in a car deck with a USB port? And what
> >> was the make & model of deck & flash-drive?

> >> I keep reading about device errors above 2GB to 4GB but I was hoping
> >> to use 2X or 4X that capacity for MP3, WMA, etc.. An example would be
> >> the A-DATA PD2 16GB model for <$200. Specs on various head units say
> >> a "USB mass storage device" w/USB 2.0 should be fully readable but I
> >> don't know what to believe. Thanks for any info.

> >> Tom

> > I used a 2 gigabyte SD card before... worked most of the time, but
> > some songs the head unit completely skipped over. When I plugged the
> > SD card in the computer, it worked perfectly. So it must have been
> > the head unit itself. But anyways, if you are going to buy a 16 GB
> > flash card for around 200 dollars, you might want to consider buying a
> > 30 gig iPod for 225 dollars instead with a good aux in with the head
> > unit.

> Something tells me an SD card is not as electronically-adept for this
> purpose as a "thumb" drive but I have no evidence.
>
> The iPod angle may seem practical but I don't want to worry about keeping
> anything charged or deal with moving parts and finding a docking place.
> Solid state is the main angle. I also want something tiny that I can hide
> in the car. I like USB decks with rear cables so you don't have the flash-
> drive sticking out of the face. They could recess a front USB port so the
> stick barely protrudes.
>
> I'm not understanding why larger flash drives are harder to read, or why
> manufacturers remain vague about max. storage size (e.g.www.kenwood.com/usb/). FAT 16 & FAT 32 issues have been mentioned, but that
> Kenwood link doesn't list them as size limitations. With 2GB flash-drive
> prices under $35 it could be economical to get a handful vs. one larger
> stick. Surely someone has tested at least an 8GB flash-drive?
>
> Tom

This past weekend I bought an in-dash system with USB port. I wanted
to buy a 2GB flash drive and basically stick my whole cd collection on
it and carry it with me wherever I go. The system also reads CD-R, CD
+R so you can put MP3's on a disc, but you are limited to ~750 MB of
space on a disc. Anyway, the owner's manual for mine states that for
USB, the file limit is ~48,000 files. I don't think the mebabyte size
is the issue, but the fact that there are too many files on a stick to
process? But then, who has 48,000 music songs on a disc anyway?

Old May 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.audio.car
flak_monkey[_17_]

You could get a 2.5 or 1.8 inch portable hard drive, mount it under the
seat, and do the USB that way. That's what I'd do.

--
flak_monkey
Old May 22nd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Member02[_18_]

or install a laptop with full internet and video capability.

oh yeah.

--
Member02
Old May 28th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Tom[_4_]

More research and actually trying it has answered my questions. As long as
you obey the allowable folder/file structure, the device should work. This
is Kenwood's spec. from http://www.kenwood.com/audiofile:

Maximum number of folder layers: 8
Maximum number of folders (per device): 500
Maximum number of files (per folder): 4096
Maximum number of files (per device): 15000

15,000 songs would fill 60-80gb in typical use! I'm sure flash will reach
that capacity soon enough.

I now have a 16gb 2.0 flash drive over 2/3rds full and it reads with no
errors (except DRM files synced with Windows Media Player 11 get ignored).
The flash drive takes about 15 secs to load on power-up. As long as you
don't unplug it, the last song position is remembered after you turn off
the deck. Very convenient to not walk through folders again.

To be conservative, I'd group music into as few folders as possible. You
can sort tracks in any order by naming them: 01 Song5, 02 Song3, 03 Song8,
etc.. Folders help with category sorting and navigation speed if the deck
lacks ID tag genre sorting.

When the last file in a folder is reached, playback moves to the first file
in the next folder, based on nesting levels and folder names. USB's main
weakness is getting gapless playback to work outside a computer. For me
there's no turning back to discs now.

Tom
Old May 28th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.audio.car
flak_monkey[_19_]

Tom;679585 Wrote:
> More research and actually trying it has answered my questions. As long
> as
> you obey the allowable folder/file structure, the device should work.
> This
> is Kenwood's spec. from http://www.kenwood.com/audiofile:
>
> Maximum number of folder layers: 8
> Maximum number of folders (per device): 500
> Maximum number of files (per folder): 4096
> Maximum number of files (per device): 15000
>
> 15,000 songs would fill 60-80gb in typical use! I'm sure flash will
> reach
> that capacity soon enough.
>
> I now have a 16gb 2.0 flash drive over 2/3rds full and it reads with no
> errors (except DRM files synced with Windows Media Player 11 get
> ignored).
> The flash drive takes about 15 secs to load on power-up. As long as you
> don't unplug it, the last song position is remembered after you turn
> off
> the deck. Very convenient to not walk through folders again.
>
> To be conservative, I'd group music into as few folders as possible.
> You
> can sort tracks in any order by naming them: 01 Song5, 02 Song3, 03
> Song8,
> etc.. Folders help with category sorting and navigation speed if the
> deck
> lacks ID tag genre sorting.
>
> When the last file in a folder is reached, playback moves to the first
> file
> in the next folder, based on nesting levels and folder names. USB's
> main
> weakness is getting gapless playback to work outside a computer. For me
> there's no turning back to discs now.
>
> Tom

this is great to know. Were you to use a really fast flash drive, i bet
that the media would access even faster.

--
flak_monkey
Old May 28th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Shug

On 28 May, 18:07, Tom > wrote:
> More research and actually trying it has answered my questions. As long as
> you obey the allowable folder/file structure, the device should work. This
> is Kenwood's spec. fromhttp://www.kenwood.com/audiofile:
>
> Maximum number of folder layers: 8
> Maximum number of folders (per device): 500
> Maximum number of files (per folder): 4096
> Maximum number of files (per device): 15000
>
> 15,000 songs would fill 60-80gb in typical use! I'm sure flash will reach
> that capacity soon enough.
>
> I now have a 16gb 2.0 flash drive over 2/3rds full and it reads with no
> errors (except DRM files synced with Windows Media Player 11 get ignored).
> The flash drive takes about 15 secs to load on power-up. As long as you
> don't unplug it, the last song position is remembered after you turn off
> the deck. Very convenient to not walk through folders again.
>
> To be conservative, I'd group music into as few folders as possible. You
> can sort tracks in any order by naming them: 01 Song5, 02 Song3, 03 Song8,
> etc.. Folders help with category sorting and navigation speed if the deck
> lacks ID tag genre sorting.
>
> When the last file in a folder is reached, playback moves to the first file
> in the next folder, based on nesting levels and folder names. USB's main
> weakness is getting gapless playback to work outside a computer. For me
> there's no turning back to discs now.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm new to this group, and found your research very interesting.

I'm currently looking for a head unit that has both inbuilt DAB and a
USB port, and I didn't even think that USB Drive size would be an
issue.

I've got an old 40G 2.5" drive in a USB enclosure that I was thinking
of putting in the glove compartment, then taking the lead out the back
of the GC and then round into the back of the head unit.

Note, I'm NOT talking about what I'd call a USB thumb drive - this is
an old laptop drive.

>From your research, do you foresee any problems with this setup?

Cheers

shug