Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] alteregoband@gmail.com is offline

Default Tips for initial setup of sound reinforcement

I'd like to ask a question, since I could not find the answer I was
looking for by searching the NG. Our band is just starting to play,
and we need some tips on getting the most out of our equipment.

How does a pro tweak EQ, gain, effects, etc? I am mostly referring to
the order. I have these steps in mind and I'm not sure which order
they should be in. In addition, I'm looking for recommended baseline
EQ, crossover, etc. settings that are commonly used for various
instruments, boards, effects, and so on.

We are a 6-piece, with:

Drums/vox
Keys
Bass/vox
Guitar/vox
Guitar/vox
Lead vox

The equipment (as much as I remember):
Lexicon effects processor
Mackie CR-1605
Crossover
Subs
Mains
Monitors
Snake
Separate amps for subs, main and monitors

What order should we do this in? Are there any recommended baseline
settings? Are we missing anything?

Get instruments sounding good through the board by tweaking amps/DIs/
preamps/etc.
Refine mic placement.
Set approximate levels.
EQ each channel.
Make each channel as wet as it needs to be.
EQ mains.
Get satisfactory monitor mix.
Adjust crossover.

I know this is A LOT to ask, and I am admittedly a NOOB. So I would
like to express my appreciation in advance to anyone who would like to
help.

Regards,
CORK