David Finton

Default Confused by new Beyerdynamic headphone models

I'm wondering if someone can help me sort out the differences
between the new Beyerdynamic headphones. I'd like to replace
my trusty Beyerdynamic DT990 phones from the late '80s. So
I went to Beyer's web site:
http://www.beyerdynamic-usa.com/com/product/index.htm
The model numbers don't seem to be ordered by quality or
price anymore, and they seem designed for different uses.
So merely picking the highest number might not result in the
most accurate sound. Some of the history is contained in their
PDF catalog.

Their new line-up includes:

DT 880 -- updated version of their old flagship model. They
seem to have recycled the name because they were so proud of
the original 880's. These come in a nice aluminum storage box.

DT 990 -- updated with new technology and features from the
DT 990 Pro, which superseded the original DT 990.

DT 931 -- cutting edge computer design. . .

The other funny thing about their catalog is that the descriptions
are very poetic, and (I think) ambiguous about how the models
differ.

A friend loaned me her Sennheiser 580's over the weekend, and I
was comparing those with my Beyer's (which are lacking the middle
of the foam surround, and have a short in the right lead). I
preferred the Beyerdynamic phones to the Sennheiser, at least when
I had both channels going. I thought the Beyers sounded more
open, more involving, more fun; the Senn's were more closed in,
distant, and I thought the timbre was sometimes less natural (on
trumpets, for example).

I'm not sure whether the Beyers are a little bit bright or whether
they're just accurate. They do seem a little more extended and
airy than my Vandersteen 1b speakers. I recall a Stereophile
review that commented on the DT 990 Pro having a less bright balance
than the DT 990. Caveats: my ears may be shaped differently than
yours, and I was plugging these directly into the headphone jack
of an NAD receiver, not a dedicated headphone amp. The NAD was
fed by an NAD C541i CD player going through an Audio Research LS3b
preamp.

Anyone have advice for sorting out the DT 990, 931, 880, or the
990 Pro?

Thanks,

David Finton

Dennis Moore

www.head-fi.com has forums all about headphones.

I recently obtained some Beyerdynamic DT880's. Which
are now supposed to be the top of the line phone from them.

I too listened to some HD580's and thought them sluggish,
veiled over, too smooth sounding. Nothing nasty, but not
enough nice.

The 880's are quite good in my opinion. I have owned some
Grado's. They too are good, very lively. But eventually they
seem unnaturally lively to me. The Beyer's seem more even
in response, still nimble and open sounding. The bass goes
quite deep. Apparently well into the lower 20 hz. range. You
can hear it though not feel it like with speakers. They also
form something of an image, not completely in your head from
ear to ear. It is somewhat above and forward with a sense of
some space. Though with everyone having slightly different
head transfer function and pinna shape to the outer ear
this likely varies from person to person. They also are very comfortable.

The DT931 was previously their best phones for consumers.
And I believe the 990 Pro's their best studio phones. I don't
know what to make of the 990's. On head-fi, though many
like the 931's, the very consistent comment is they are bright.
Clean, and clear brightness, but bright. So I have not heard
anything other than the DT880's, HD580's and several Grados.
I can say the DT880's are very nice sounding headphones.

They probably sound better with an amp. Though so far
a CD player jack, a DVD player jack and the soundcard on
my computer play them well enough to use. I have also
used them with a headphone amp, and they are some better,
though the main difference was being able to play them very
loudly. Not altogether good in headphones in my opinion since
the levels can get very loud.

I owned some of the Stax Lambda's from the early 1980's and
also some of the old Koss ESP9's. Both of these were very
good electrostatic headphones. The Stax were super trans-
parent. But just seemed quite bright. The Koss were warmer
and still very good. Apparently modern phones are having
an average HTF built into the response of them above 5 khz.
These earlier phones didn't as far as I know. In any case, all
things considered I think the modern DT880's are better than
these earlier very expensive ESL phones.

hope this helps,
Dennis