Posted to rec.audio.high-end
pj pj is offline

Default Anyone know anything about Crown ES212 electrostatic speakers?

I just picked up a pair of Crown ES 212 electrostatic speakers. I'm trying
to find out about it.

Any information would be appreciated.

-Pete

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"pj" wrote in message
I just picked up a pair of Crown ES 212 electrostatic speakers. I'm trying
to find out about it.

Any information would be appreciated.

-Pete

Look on Crown's web site. They have info on their legacy 'speakers.

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacspkr.htm

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"pj" wrote in message

I just picked up a pair of Crown ES 212 electrostatic
speakers. I'm trying to find out about it.

Brings back the memories - Crown ES 212 were one of the first *new* speakers
I auditioned after I returned to the US from Germany, where I was a guest of
Uncle Sam.

My recollection is that they had a 10" woofer and a large number of
electrostatic elements, apparently made by RTR.

There's a schematic for them on Crown's web site:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/speakers/ES_212.pdf

Search google - there's lots of comments about them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
pj pj is offline

Thanks Arny, I appreciate the information.

According to the parts list appended to the schematic, each 'speaker' has
(2) 10" woofers and 12 electrostatic tweeters.

You don't happen to recall how much they originally cost do you?

What year was that?

Thanks a bunch,

-pj

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"pj" wrote in message

I just picked up a pair of Crown ES 212 electrostatic
speakers. I'm trying to find out about it.

Brings back the memories - Crown ES 212 were one of the first *new*
speakers
I auditioned after I returned to the US from Germany, where I was a guest
of
Uncle Sam.

My recollection is that they had a 10" woofer and a large number of
electrostatic elements, apparently made by RTR.

There's a schematic for them on Crown's web site:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/speakers/ES_212.pdf

Search google - there's lots of comments about them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
pj pj is offline

Thanks Serge,

The brochure there filled in a few blanks. It looks like they are circa
1972.

-pj

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
"pj" wrote in message
I just picked up a pair of Crown ES 212 electrostatic speakers. I'm
trying
to find out about it.

Any information would be appreciated.

-Pete

Look on Crown's web site. They have info on their legacy 'speakers.

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacspkr.htm

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"pj" wrote in message

Thanks Arny, I appreciate the information.

According to the parts list appended to the schematic,
each 'speaker' has (2) 10" woofers and 12 electrostatic
tweeters.

Lots of tweeters, and pretty good sized ones. This is probably because they
go down to such a low frequency.

You don't happen to recall how much they originally cost
do you?

I want to say... under a $grand each. But no specific number comes to mind.

What year was that?

1971 or so.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

"pj" wrote in message

Thanks Arny, I appreciate the information.

According to the parts list appended to the schematic,
each 'speaker' has (2) 10" woofers and 12 electrostatic
tweeters.

Lots of tweeters, and pretty good sized ones. This is probably because
they
go down to such a low frequency.

You don't happen to recall how much they originally cost
do you?

I want to say... under a $grand each. But no specific number comes to
mind.

What year was that?

1971 or so.

"Orion Bluebook"

CROWN
SPK, ES- 2-12 (212) (PAIR)

Manufacture Years: 1974 - 1977

Additional Information:

Retail
MSRP: $1,200.00
USED: $350.00
Wholesale
Mint: $210.00
Average: $120.00

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Bob is offline

"pj" wrote in message

Thanks Arny, I appreciate the information.

According to the parts list appended to the schematic,
each 'speaker' has (2) 10" woofers and 12 electrostatic
tweeters.

Lots of tweeters, and pretty good sized ones. This is probably because
they
go down to such a low frequency.

You don't happen to recall how much they originally cost
do you?

I want to say... under a $grand each. But no specific number comes to
mind.

What year was that?

1971 or so.

Yeah they had lots of RTR tweeters mounted in the top. The retailer I worked
for back in the 70's and 80's was a Crown dealer here in CT but we never
sold their speakers. We did have a few requests for repairs though from
people who bought them out of state and as I remember the tweeters had a
tendency to give up the ghost quite easily.
Bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"pj" wrote in message

[...]

My analysis of the crossover circuit suggests that Crown tried hard to keep
the tweeters safe from electrical overload.