Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Default Millennia HV3C vrs HV3B

What´s the difference between these two models

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

HKC wrote:
What´s the difference between these two models

I think you'll have to ask John LaGrou that. I know the HV3B model was
discontinued about two years ago and replaced with the updated HV3C, and
I know the front panel layout is a little different, but I don't know what
is different inside.

I'll say that I have an original HV3 and the multichannel version of the HV3C
and they sound pretty much the same. I have not done a direct A/B comparison
though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote: I'll say that I have an original HV3 and the
multichannel version of the HV3C
and they sound pretty much the same.

I'll take it that you like the Millennia then. I was actually going to buy a
Grace 201 (you may remember I have done quite a bit of research). The thing
is that everyone more or less agrees that Millennia HV3 and Grace 201 are
very much alike but HV3 is quite easy to find secondhand which means more
money left for me to spend on other things. At the moment there are 2 HV3B
for sale on Ebay both with a starting at $999 and there are no bidders after
6 days (2 left). If this ends up being the actual price then I have just
saved a 1000 dollars which I could use to buy a more coloured front end like
maybe a used Drawmer 1960 which is quite common in Europe and can often be
found around that price.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 2, 12:27 pm, "HKC" wrote:

At the moment there are 2 HV3B
for sale on Ebay both with a starting at $999 and there are no bidders after
6 days (2 left). If this ends up being the actual price then I have just
saved a 1000 dollars which I could use to buy a more coloured front end like
maybe a used Drawmer 1960 which is quite common in Europe

That sounds like a good plan, but you never can tell with eBay. Have
you looked at recent completed sales for the HV3B to see what they
actually sell for? At around half the new price, you'll probably find
a few snipe bids from traders at the last minute.

I recall John telling me about what was new with the C and I seem to
think it's little more than repackaging into a smaller box. Certainly
nothing about it that would make it worse than the predecessor.
Millennia doesn't do that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

At around half the new price, you'll probably find
a few snipe bids from traders at the last minute.

I am very aware of this but if that happens so be it because if they get
much more expensive than that I'd rather buy a new one. I am a full time
musician and can deduct whatever I pay from my taxes so everything is in
reality half price because in Denmark we pay almost 50% in taxes (we don't
pay for school, doctors, hospitals, university etc, it's all included so
it's not as much as it sounds like). It is however a big advantage when you
buy equipment so obviously paying 1400 dollars for something secondhand that
only costs 600$ more from new (in reality $300) would be more or less
stupid.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
HKC wrote:
What´s the difference between these two models

I think you'll have to ask John LaGrou that. I know the HV3B model was
discontinued about two years ago and replaced with the updated HV3C, and
I know the front panel layout is a little different, but I don't know what
is different inside.

I'll say that I have an original HV3 and the multichannel version of the HV3C
and they sound pretty much the same. I have not done a direct A/B comparison
though.
--scott

If I may, there are two different HV3C models I think. I have the
older version HV3C's, they have built in Apogee A/D converters and a
few other features. They're 20 bit, dither to 16 bit with UV22, have
a tone generator and several outputs and wordclock. The newer version
HV3C has a *option" of including an A/D converter, looks a bit
different and they don't partner with Apogee anymore. It makes
manufacturing sense I think to just have one frame for the micpres and
space to add all the options on. The older HV3B also had a couple of
different versions as well as they improved the design. Nice thing
is the 32 step increments of gain are standard now when you buy a pair
of HV3's (as HV3C's), you used to have to pay more for that option on
the HV3B's.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

last preamp question- millennia or GR? Nate Najar Pro Audio 18 July 25th 06 01:34 AM
HV3C [email protected] Pro Audio 1 May 22nd 06 08:25 PM
fs: millennia media hv3b a-l Pro Audio 0 May 11th 06 07:39 PM
api 3124 vs Millennia HV3C for drums [email protected] Pro Audio 5 April 21st 06 01:35 PM
FS: Millennia Origin Mic Pre [email protected] Pro Audio 0 October 19th 05 03:25 PM