Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GuitarPsych GuitarPsych is offline

Default Dynakit 70 filter cap question

I am about to replace the filt capacitors on my dynakit 70 (I'm
guessing they have never been changed) and rather than open the amp
just to find out what they are, does anyone here know off hand what I
should purchase as replacements for the current filter caps, and how
many?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

GuitarPsych wrote:

I am about to replace the filt capacitors on my dynakit 70 (I'm
guessing they have never been changed) and rather than open the amp
just to find out what they are, does anyone here know off hand what I
should purchase as replacements for the current filter caps, and how
many?

You'll need to look inside. Modern capacitors are likely to be considerably
smaller ( better materials and technology ) and you'll have to get something
that physically fits.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Triode Electronics has a SDS cap board made to fit under the ST70,
which has all the caps on board, including the bias rectifier caps and
diode. It's not that much more than the new can cap you can get for
that amp, and the caps are high quality. You can leave the can mounted
for looks, and pop this board under the chassis. I havent' used it
myself, but I wish it had been available when I recapped my ST70. I
ended up getting an expensive can cap, and wedging caps under the
chassis to get some larger values that the original 30-20-20-20 uf
caps.

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/sdss70parts.html

Bob H.

GuitarPsych wrote:
I am about to replace the filt capacitors on my dynakit 70 (I'm
guessing they have never been changed) and rather than open the amp
just to find out what they are, does anyone here know off hand what I
should purchase as replacements for the current filter caps, and how
many?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

GuitarPsych wrote:
I am about to replace the filt capacitors on my dynakit 70 (I'm
guessing they have never been changed) and rather than open the amp
just to find out what they are, does anyone here know off hand what I
should purchase as replacements for the current filter caps, and how
many?

30/20/20/20uF @ 525VDC

It is the 525V (or better) that makes it awkward as that is not a
common value for electrolytic caps and so they are unusually expensive.

Modern caps won't fit into the existing can, so you will wind up
stuffing them underneath (rather than restuffing the can) unless you
want exposed HV above the chassis.

There are after-market add-on boards for this purpose as one other has
mentioned.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 9 Dec 2006 13:37:08 -0800, "Bob H." wrote:

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/sdss70parts.html

This is a good recommendation for folks like the OP
who may be unsure about options and just want to get
the elderly party up and running safely and well.

It's much, much preferable to the can cap replicas
of just a few years ago, which would explode (!)
more often than not, at only slightly higher voltages,
in Mk3's. Very disappointing...

For homebrewers, pairs of caps stacked for better
voltage rating are easy enough to do. Modern
electrolytics with 300 volt rating are very compact
and (new) leakage is low enough to permit balancing
resistors as low as a milliAmp or two draw.

Stacking for a 600 volt rating isn't really all that
extravagant in fault conditions, just good engineering.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Too soon oldt; too late schmardt."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
- - : R A T B o y : - - - - : R A T B o y : - - is offline

I've had one of these from Ned in my Stereo-70 for about 6 years:

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/40ufat52twis.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
wb wb is offline

Antique Electronics Supply carries an original style 525 volt multi
section can capacitor that will work and look like the original. Also,
replace the selenium bias rectifier and the two capacitors in the bias
supply with something like a pair of 50-100 uf @ 50 or more volt
capacitors. You should replace those original coupling capacitors as
well since they love to leak DC voltage from the phase inverter circuit
to the control grids of the EL34's.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message
[...]

I don't like using 525v replacements especially since the AC input has
increased from days gone by. Chris, why don't you provide us with real
values for your stacking caps and balancing resistors? I think this would
be more of a practical help for many.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

I don't like using 525v replacements especially since the AC input has
increased from days gone by. Chris, why don't you provide us with real
values for your stacking caps and balancing resistors? I think this would
be more of a practical help for many.

Agreed. However, the balancing resistors are a nicety that is
unnecessary in this particular application. It is simple enough to use
450V caps, two-each in series of the appropriate capacitance to make up
a considerable safety margin. 2 x 60 @ 450V = 30 @ 900V. If one does
not want to spring for the (fairly) expensive 60s, go to 330V caps at
about half the price and have your rating at 660V. It is not as if you
are taking anything off the junction, and modern capacitors are far
more consistent than vintage types. If the balancing resistor makes you
feel better... sure. But the amp (and the caps) won't notice. However,
it is the 'right' thing to do so:

If you want to be elegant, it can be calculated:

For 2 capacitors in series: R = (2Vr - Vb) / (0.0015 C Vb)
For n 2 capacitors: R = (Vr - Vb/n) / (0.00075 C Vb)
where R = resistance in Megohms

Vr = max rated surge voltage
Vb = max voltage across entire bank of caps
n = number of caps in series
C = capacitance in uF

With thanks to Cornell-Dublier for the formula.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT Mix voltages if installing caps in series. And
it is nearly infinitely better to use only identical caps to replace
any one section.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA