Posted to rec.audio.car
WannaKatana WannaKatana is offline

Default Power wire size

Based on two charts I found, I should be using 1/0 gage. Opinions? Is
it difficult to work with such large wire routing it?

Pyle PLAD-412 4x100 RMS
Pyle PLAD-215 2 x 500 RMS
(I may run it in the future at 2 x 700 rms into 4 ohms or 1 channel
into 4 ohms but there is no rms for 1 channel into 4 ohms, damn cheap
amp. Only says 1300 MAX into 1 channel 4 ohms if that info helps)

Joel

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

what are the fuse ratings on the side of the amps?

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I'm sure 2 gauge will be adequate.

The cold hard truth is that Pyle is not known for it's honesty in it's power
rating. I took a look at both those amps and I noticed several things.
Although they give RMS and max power figures, THD percentages are NEVER
given (this should ALWAYS raise red flags). Also, those power numbers MIGHT
have been achieved by feeding those amps a COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC 15-16
volts with 1000's of amperes behind those volts (at 100% distortion for the
max figures). Voltage information is NEVER given in any of the
specifications, yet this is a CRITICAL piece of data when evaluating
unregulated amps.

You get what you pay for and in the REAL world you will be lucky to get HALF
the power those amps are rated for.

Unless you plan on putting in AT LEAST a 200 ampere HO alternator, 2 gauge
will be MORE THAN adequate. Remember, amps CANNOT create power out of thin
air (no matter what the specs say).

MOSFET

"WannaKatana" wrote in message
ups.com...
Based on two charts I found, I should be using 1/0 gage. Opinions? Is
it difficult to work with such large wire routing it?

Pyle PLAD-412 4x100 RMS
Pyle PLAD-215 2 x 500 RMS
(I may run it in the future at 2 x 700 rms into 4 ohms or 1 channel
into 4 ohms but there is no rms for 1 channel into 4 ohms, damn cheap
amp. Only says 1300 MAX into 1 channel 4 ohms if that info helps)

Joel

Posted to rec.audio.car

MOSFET wrote:
I'm sure 2 gauge will be adequate.

Thanks, I thought so.

You get what you pay for and in the REAL world you will be lucky to get HALF
the power those amps are rated for.

They were free :-) Someday I will get the top-o-the-line stuff.

Joel

Posted to rec.audio.car
WannaKatana WannaKatana is offline

2 30's for the 2 channel and 1 30 for the 4 channel

KU40 wrote:
what are the fuse ratings on the side of the amps?

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I know I come off in that post like I'm "dissing" your amps and that really
wasn't my intention at all.

In fact, 2 of the 4 amps I use in my system are from manufacturers many
would consider low-end (Jensen and Prestige).

But they are GREAT amps and they do their jobs PERFECTLY.

This is often a subject of debate here, but IMHO, all amplifiers sound the
same AS LONG AS THEY ARE OPERATING WITHIN THEIR LOW DISTORTION LIMITS. I
know some disagree with me on this, and perhaps they hear something I don't
(I'm 38 and my ears might be a little fried by 20 years of bass addiction).
But in a car environment where you have so many other sounds (engine noise,
road noise, wind noise, etc.) to compete with I just don't think discernable
differences exist between one amplifier and the next. Now in the home
environment, where you can completely eliminate extraneous noise, there may
be subtle differences (but even then, it takes the very best speakers,
sources, interconnects, etc. to hear these differences). In a car, forget
it.

Those two amps you have may sound just fine. The point I was making was
that Pyle exaggerates power figures and that going by their numbers in
calculating wire size would most likely lead to some SERIOUS OVERKILL. But
those amps most likely will sound GREAT (as all modern amps do today)!!!
That was my point.

MOSFET
"WannaKatana" wrote in message
s.com...