Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default Two stunning LPs

Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.

Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.

Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.

I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Jenn-

I have the original Vanguard Baez, and the quality is there on the original
recording. This was one of Vanguard's best, but in general they did well by
Baez.

I don't have the Ella, but I do have her "songbooks" and also her two duo
records with Joe Pass. These latter have the same quality you speak
of....you may wish to look them up as well...I believe they have been
reissed.

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Harry.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
another good recording.

I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
remember if I've taken the chance.

'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"MINe 109" wrote in message
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

You too??

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
remember if I've taken the chance.

'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

snip

The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
another good recording.

Thanks.

I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
remember if I've taken the chance.

'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

I do better with the cds!

There are more complications with classical recordings. We had a
typically stupid RAO dustup when someone insisted on calling "Famous
Blue Raincoat" a Leonard Cohen album. Well, if you file exclusively by
composer, it makes sense, but it won't help you find it in a record
store.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

This pertains to the fact (which you know, of course) that classical
music is a COMPOSER driven medium, where popular music is a PERFORMER
driven medium (for the most part in both cases.) So I file and
database my recordings by composer, and there is not just one entry per
CD or LP, but rather there is a database entry by each WORK on each CD
or LP.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand the rationale for keeping the database in the detail you do
(in fact for classical, their is no other good way). Where my attempts to
catalog have alway fallen apart is when it comes to physically
storing/referencing them on the shelves. In other words, I've never come up
with a good system for telling where they are physically. Mind sharing how
you do this?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Physically, I sort the Classical lp's by label

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
[...]

I file alphabetically by composer. It basically works because so many
classical recordings are of only one composer. For multi-composer
disks, I file by the first composer on the disk. Not perfect, but so
far, I can remember where things are. The only other alternative that I
can see is to label each recording numerically and keep a copy of the
database at hand to look up each disk as I want it. The way I do it
gets me there much faster, I think.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
co
m...
[...]

P.S. If you would like a copy of the Excel sheet, I'll be happy to send
it along.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
[...]

It's those multi-composer disks that do me in. I guess I've got too many
from my early student days (Everyman, Nonesuch, etc. were big on
compilations).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
[...]

It takes guts for the basically untidy to offer advice on filing but
here goes.
I have single composer classical LPs alphabetically on lp shelves.and
cds same way on cd shelves.
My pop lps and cds go alphabetically by performer on separate shelving.
Multiple composer/ performer classical cds and lps are shelved
separately. I keep an old-fashioned. rotating file for them. I have
very few multiple performer pop recordings.
Ludovic M.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article m,
" wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
ups.com...

MINe 109 wrote:
In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

y.co
m...
[...]

That's pretty much what I do, except for the multiple performer
classical.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
KMM KMM is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Just imagine how much better they'd sound as CD's. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

KMM wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

I've heard the CDs; they're not as good. :-)