A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

AKAI A-DAM Dr1200



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 17th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default AKAI A-DAM Dr1200

Hi,

I just got an AKAI A-DAM DR1200 / DL1200 - unfortunately, it came
without the manual(s).

Does somebody know :

- which manuals are available (each component DR1200 / DL1200 / DM1200)
separated or together ?

- Is there somebody willing to share (one of) these manuals with me ?

Since I have a problem with the mechanics (tape is not pulled around the
head), I wonder if there's someone out there who still knows these
machines and may be able to give me some hints.

Thanks in advance
Matthias
Ads
  #2  
Old June 30th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default AKAI A-DAM Dr1200

Hi Matthias,

It sounds like either the brakes are sticking - preventing the tape
pulling out of the cassette or the pinch wheel mechanism is sticking.
Either or both these things will happen if the system has been sat
around unused for some time. These parts can be loosened with cleaning
of the appropriate parts using isopropyl alcohol or similar. The
solenoid is beneath the deck mechanism - accessible if the front panel
is removed. If you do not have the experience /confidence to do this
anyone familiar with video cassette mechanisms would be able to help.
The good news is this can be fixed with out replacing parts. More
difficult would be aligning the tape path if required - this is more of
a specialised task....

Unfortunately I do not have manuals for this unit but I do have an
entire system with leads, spare heads and alignment tapes in my
basement !

Hope this is some help.

Matthias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got an AKAI A-DAM DR1200 / DL1200 - unfortunately, it came
> without the manual(s).
>
> Does somebody know :
>
> - which manuals are available (each component DR1200 / DL1200 / DM1200)
> separated or together ?
>
> - Is there somebody willing to share (one of) these manuals with me ?
>
> Since I have a problem with the mechanics (tape is not pulled around the
> head), I wonder if there's someone out there who still knows these
> machines and may be able to give me some hints.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Matthias


  #3  
Old July 1st 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default AKAI A-DAM Dr1200

Hi Charles,

thanks - finally someone who knows these old guys ......

I already fixed the 'sticky'-problem. Don't know, if it is gone for more
than a couple of days, but at the moment, the tape is pulled around the
head.

In the meantime, I found someone who made a copy of the manual for me.

But now : Ihave problems with the tapes themselves.

The manual states, that only Hi8 P5-60 (Pal/Secam) or P6-90 (NTSC) tapes
can be used due to the tape thickness. I bought a P5-90 and it's thrown
out right away (due to the coding on the back side of the tape
cassette). I have a Video8 P6-90 which is not thrown out (but the tape
itself is damaged). I then closed the hole of the p5-60 cassette, and
the tape was taken correctly.

I tried to format the tape, but at 16:xx:yy it stopped and the
'unformat' LED started flashing. I believe, the reason for that is, that
the heads must be cleaned. But here, we have the next problem : in the
manual, they say, that only ethyl alcohol is to be used. I usually use
isopropyl alcohol. Is this important ?

Charles, may I contact you directly ?

Matthias



Charles_Swann schrieb:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> It sounds like either the brakes are sticking - preventing the tape
> pulling out of the cassette or the pinch wheel mechanism is sticking.
> Either or both these things will happen if the system has been sat
> around unused for some time. These parts can be loosened with cleaning
> of the appropriate parts using isopropyl alcohol or similar. The
> solenoid is beneath the deck mechanism - accessible if the front panel
> is removed. If you do not have the experience /confidence to do this
> anyone familiar with video cassette mechanisms would be able to help.
> The good news is this can be fixed with out replacing parts. More
> difficult would be aligning the tape path if required - this is more of
> a specialised task....
>
> Unfortunately I do not have manuals for this unit but I do have an
> entire system with leads, spare heads and alignment tapes in my
> basement !
>
> Hope this is some help.
>
> Matthias wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just got an AKAI A-DAM DR1200 / DL1200 - unfortunately, it came
>>without the manual(s).
>>
>>Does somebody know :
>>
>>- which manuals are available (each component DR1200 / DL1200 / DM1200)
>> separated or together ?
>>
>>- Is there somebody willing to share (one of) these manuals with me ?
>>
>>Since I have a problem with the mechanics (tape is not pulled around the
>>head), I wonder if there's someone out there who still knows these
>>machines and may be able to give me some hints.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Matthias

>
>

  #4  
Old April 8th 11, 08:20 AM
kiwimike kiwimike is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by AudioBanter: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Hi Charles,

thanks - finally someone who knows these old guys ......

I already fixed the 'sticky'-problem. Don't know, if it is gone for more
than a couple of days, but at the moment, the tape is pulled around the
head.

In the meantime, I found someone who made a copy of the manual for me.

But now : Ihave problems with the tapes themselves.

The manual states, that only Hi8 P5-60 (Pal/Secam) or P6-90 (NTSC) tapes
can be used due to the tape thickness. I bought a P5-90 and it's thrown
out right away (due to the coding on the back side of the tape
cassette). I have a Video8 P6-90 which is not thrown out (but the tape
itself is damaged). I then closed the hole of the p5-60 cassette, and
the tape was taken correctly.

I tried to format the tape, but at 16:xx:yy it stopped and the
'unformat' LED started flashing. I believe, the reason for that is, that
the heads must be cleaned. But here, we have the next problem : in the
manual, they say, that only ethyl alcohol is to be used. I usually use
isopropyl alcohol. Is this important ?

Charles, may I contact you directly ?

Matthias



Charles_Swann schrieb:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> It sounds like either the brakes are sticking - preventing the tape
> pulling out of the cassette or the pinch wheel mechanism is sticking.
> Either or both these things will happen if the system has been sat
> around unused for some time. These parts can be loosened with cleaning
> of the appropriate parts using isopropyl alcohol or similar. The
> solenoid is beneath the deck mechanism - accessible if the front panel
> is removed. If you do not have the experience /confidence to do this
> anyone familiar with video cassette mechanisms would be able to help.
> The good news is this can be fixed with out replacing parts. More
> difficult would be aligning the tape path if required - this is more of
> a specialised task....
>
> Unfortunately I do not have manuals for this unit but I do have an
> entire system with leads, spare heads and alignment tapes in my
> basement !
>
> Hope this is some help.
>
> Matthias wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just got an AKAI A-DAM DR1200 / DL1200 - unfortunately, it came
>>without the manual(s).
>>
>>Does somebody know :
>>
>>- which manuals are available (each component DR1200 / DL1200 / DM1200)
>> separated or together ?
>>
>>- Is there somebody willing to share (one of) these manuals with me ?
>>
>>Since I have a problem with the mechanics (tape is not pulled around the
>>head), I wonder if there's someone out there who still knows these
>>machines and may be able to give me some hints.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Matthias

>
>
Hi all.

I appreciate that this thread is 5 year's old, but I am also looking for info on the DM-1200 meterbridge and there is not a lot of hits to be found on the net...

Specifically I need a copy of the schematic - the rest of the manual is immaterial, as I'm modifying the unit for use with an analogue mixer.

We originally thought that the unit accepted digital signals only, but upon opening it up there are what appear to be A-D converters in there, so it is possible that it accepts analogue signals.

If anyone out there has a copy of the schematic, I'd happily pay for it.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f.S. Tons of cheapgear Cheapgear1 Pro Audio 2 February 23rd 12 02:25 AM
F.S. tons of gear for sale, keys, modules, pro audio, etc Cheapgear1 Pro Audio 5 February 18th 12 11:29 PM
F.S. tons of studio/keyboard/rack gear Cheapgear1 Pro Audio 5 April 18th 08 04:58 PM
"AKAI", "KURZWEIL", "ROLAND", DVDs and CDs [email protected] Audio Opinions 0 January 31st 06 09:08 AM
Akai out of business? I just heard a rumor Brent Handy Pro Audio 1 July 1st 03 06:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.