A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Vacuum Tubes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Amplifier question



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 26th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question

I picked up a couple of Schulmerich PP 807 amps (6-160/80 style).

Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

Jon

Ads
  #2  
Old May 26th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question

Probably you got them for next to nothing, and if they are like the
others I have seen you got your money's worth. A bunch of 1940s PA
grade transformers. Schulmerich and Maas-Rowe were carillion
manufacturers who built their own power amps, strictly out of the
transformer maker's literature.

Unless you just have more time than sense, part them out and sell the
xfmr's for guitar amps. If you wan't hi-fi, buy a new set of
transformers already!

It's possible these are different-but there's no reason to think that
if they were actually built by the company itself.

Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
keeping.

  #3  
Old May 26th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question

On 25 May 2006 20:44:12 -0700, "Bret Ludwig" >
wrote:

> Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
>many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
>keeping. <snip>


I have some of the Mass-Rowe 6550s ampsp with the WECO regulator
circuit. They have the same output tranny as the Leslie
amps...meaning cheeeeeeesy. A little better on distortion, around 6%
right before clipping. These are OK for musical instrument
applications, period.

Allen Organ for years used Webster 6L6s amps, then switched to their
own in-house 5881 and 6550 designs with Acrosound tranny set, which go
for big on fraudBay when they show up. Many were stolen from churches
with old analog Allens. They will keep pace with a Mc, any day.
Unfortunately, many old organ tuners/repairment, notorious for graft,
would steal the Allens and shove something like an RCA PA amp in its
place, making the organ sound horrid. Seen it happen myself more than
once.

As for the Maas', the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole,
assuming the T-S 6550s test OK. I've heard of people trying to "fix"
them with Acrosounds and so on...too many people have too much time on
their hands.
  #5  
Old May 26th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question

heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. He's also the last
of the tattle tale stranglers. He tries to get back at people by
calling up and emailing authorities and reporting you with false
accusations. We are talking one SICK TICKET, he is. He's been
harassing my ebay auctions and email addy now, for 2 years.

  #8  
Old May 27th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question


CAINE wrote:
> heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
> DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
> number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
> you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. He's also the last
> of the tattle tale stranglers. He tries to get back at people by
> calling up and emailing authorities and reporting you with false
> accusations. We are talking one SICK TICKET, he is. He's been
> harassing my ebay auctions and email addy now, for 2 years.


Well, if you are charlie Nudoi, with good reason. Die, Charlie,
die!!!!!

  #9  
Old May 27th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Amplifier question


DeserTBoB wrote:
> On 25 May 2006 20:44:12 -0700, "Bret Ludwig" >
> wrote:
>
> > Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
> >many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
> >keeping. <snip>

>
> I have some of the Mass-Rowe 6550s ampsp with the WECO regulator
> circuit. They have the same output tranny as the Leslie
> amps...meaning cheeeeeeesy. A little better on distortion, around 6%
> right before clipping. These are OK for musical instrument
> applications, period.
>
> Allen Organ for years used Webster 6L6s amps, then switched to their
> own in-house 5881 and 6550 designs with Acrosound tranny set, which go
> for big on fraudBay when they show up. Many were stolen from churches
> with old analog Allens. They will keep pace with a Mc, any day.
> Unfortunately, many old organ tuners/repairment, notorious for graft,
> would steal the Allens and shove something like an RCA PA amp in its
> place, making the organ sound horrid. Seen it happen myself more than
> once.


I can't imagine Allen Organ parts would be that easy to fence! And
most Allens I have seen had transformers looking nothing like
Acrosounds.

Although I agree many ogan men are crooks, the big killer of AO tube
amps is...AO, who make and market their own solid state replacement amp
at a ridiculous price.
>
> As for the Maas', the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole,
> assuming the T-S 6550s test OK. I've heard of people trying to "fix"
> them with Acrosounds and so on...too many people have too much time on
> their hands.


Most oddball amps are horrid time and money sinks for the unwary,
especially anything built for organs, juke boxes or PA use. Gut them
out and save a lot of grief.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Unit to Amplifier Question. Mister.Lull Car Audio 3 June 7th 05 06:33 PM
What are they Teaching Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 199 October 15th 04 07:56 PM
Amplifier question - very basic rothman Pro Audio 62 October 9th 03 10:17 PM
Amplifier question - very basic - update rothman Pro Audio 22 October 9th 03 10:12 PM
Amplifier Problem and question Rob Car Audio 2 August 1st 03 12:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.