Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default sound card vs speakers

I was just curious. is a 150 dollar sound card a better investment, or
150 dollar speakers better?

thanks,
Peter

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just curious. is a 150 dollar sound card a better investment, or
150 dollar speakers better?

For what... sound out of your PC? I'll take a $100 pair of headphones and
a $50 sound card.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just curious. is a 150 dollar sound card a better investment, or
150 dollar speakers better?

In two years, your sound card might be worth $20. Your speakers migh be
worth $75.
I suggest you buy corn futures. The more corn flakes ARny eats, the
more money you stand to earn.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

what exactly do you mean get it into my Krell?

The Krell were apparently a motivation behind the namesake Krell
Industries Inc., for a USA based high-end audio manufacturer appearing
in the late 1980s and continuing to this day. In fact, Krell Industries
Inc manufactured an amplifier with the model name "Altair."

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krell"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

thanks for the suggest. i looked up the original sound blaster. '98...
msrp 200 bucks. now its like 30 bucks? sigh, i thought the x-fi chip
would be a good idea.

what do you mean by corn futures? and arny eats?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for the suggest. i looked up the original sound blaster. '98...
msrp 200 bucks. now its like 30 bucks? sigh, i thought the x-fi chip
would be a good idea.

what do you mean by corn futures?

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/page/0,3181,1213,00.html

and arny eats?

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...=449&company=3

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for the suggest. i looked up the original sound
blaster. '98... msrp 200 bucks. now its like 30 bucks?
sigh, i thought the x-fi chip would be a good idea.

what do you mean by

arny eats?

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...=449&company=3

This is just Art's imagination running off into irrelevancy again.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
I was just curious. is a 150 dollar sound card a better
investment, or 150 dollar speakers better?

At this time, a $30 sound card for example the SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit PCI
card (not the USB version which is a POS) outperforms just about any
loudspeaker system known to man.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just curious. is a 150 dollar sound card a better investment, or
150 dollar speakers better?

thanks,
Peter

You need to divide this purchase carefully.
If you are not interested in the ultimate in game compatibility, there are
cards like
http://www.nt-micro.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=9667

These cards tend to use more CPU power, and be less compatible, than the
products made by Creative, such as the Audigy. OTOH,. as Arny could point
out, there are more expensive cards, with better DACs, than those made by
Creative. With the amount of money you have, I would recommend a cheap 24
bit card. Spend the rest on speakers. Cheap computer speakers are usually
awful. However, there are some remarkable closeout bargains.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article . com,
wrote:

what exactly do you mean get it into my Krell?

It was just a bad joke; sorry. It's too cold in Rochester to think.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson

Jenn wrote:
I think that the coldest that I've ever been was in
Iowa in February of '98.

About the coldest I've experienced was a ball game
in San Francisco's Candlestick Park in July :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article .com,
"John Atkinson" wrote:

Jenn wrote:
I think that the coldest that I've ever been was in
Iowa in February of '98.

About the coldest I've experienced was a ball game
in San Francisco's Candlestick Park in July :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

LOL. Yeah, been there too!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

I'll be in Michigan in March of
'07; I suspect that it'll be cold there too.

What constutes cold?

By March its usually positively balmy here.

Never really any serious winter this year. Never got below zero. I've seen
it 22 below here, but not for decades.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
. com,
wrote:

what exactly do you mean get it into my Krell?

It was just a bad joke; sorry. It's too cold in
Rochester to think.

Forcing Californians to cope with weather in temperate
climates is creul and inhuman punishment. It's sort of
like throwing unclothed newborn babies into snowbanks.
;-)

Point taken, but I've lived where it snows and Rochester
temperatures were quite a bit colder than
"temperate".... in the teens minus the wind chill from
the lake effect.

Stay away from the Great Plains.

Too late; I was in Texas recently, in Nebraska in '99,
Calgary in '00 and '01.

Those are generally pretty nice compared to North Dakota, northern
Minnesota, or certain places in Canada.

For example, the all time low in Texas was about 30 below. For Nebraska a
mere -47F, and Calgary is well known for its relatively mild temperatures
given its elevation and latitude.

Now for the serious stuff - North Dakota and Minnesota, -60F.
Wyoming -66F, and Alaska -80F. Closer to where I live, White River
Ontario, also -60F.

I'll be in Michigan in March of
'07; I suspect that it'll be cold there too.

Things are already warming up by then. Normal temps are in the 30-45F range.
January is the coldest month, about 10F colder.

I think
that the coldest that I've ever been was in Iowa in
February of '98. DANG!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

The Krooborg has time to burn today. No computers to "flog", no sales
calls to goldbrick on, no phoney piety to preach.

For example, the all time low in Texas was about 30 below. For Nebraska a
mere -47F, and Calgary is well known for its relatively mild temperatures
given its elevation and latitude.
Now for the serious stuff - North Dakota and Minnesota, -60F.
Wyoming -66F, and Alaska -80F. Closer to where I live, White River
Ontario, also -60F.
Things are already warming up by then. Normal temps are in the 30-45F range.
January is the coldest month, about 10F colder.

Who gave the Krooborg a weather atlas? Somebody should set him on
memorizing species and subspecies of insects in North America. You never
know when duh-Mikey McBugEater will come back to RAO.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
. com,
wrote:

[...]

I call that cold. BTW, may I ask why you are responding to a post that
I wrote 9 MONTHS ago?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

January is the coldest month, about 10F colder.

I call that cold. BTW, may I ask why you are responding to a post that
I wrote 9 MONTHS ago?

Probably because Arnii's parole officer just took off the filter on the
weather almanac site.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

In article

I'll be in Michigan in March of
'07; I suspect that it'll be cold there too.

Things are already warming up by then. Normal temps are
in the 30-45F range. January is the coldest month, about
10F colder.

I call that cold. BTW, may I ask why you are responding
to a post that I wrote 9 MONTHS ago?

Something happened and Comcast's server reposted it so that it looked like a
new post (i.e., highlighted). I work with the date field rolled off screen
to the right, so I didn't see the date.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default The Krooborg vs. Reality: Part 3,985,226

The Krooborg tries to explain his "Usenet career".

I work with the date field rolled off screen

Bwahahaha! Arnii calls his didding around on Usenet "work"!

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 1 Nov 2006 12:51:11 -0800, "Jenn" wrote:

I call that cold. BTW, may I ask why you are responding to a post that
I wrote 9 MONTHS ago?

He likes plenty of thinking time.

I too have been getting reactivated old posts on my reader. I wonder
if anyone knows how that happens.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

paul packer said:

I too have been getting reactivated old posts on my reader. I wonder
if anyone knows how that happens.

Each Usenet post has a unique message ID. Each news server records the IDs
of the posts it receives and rejects duplicates. This is necessary because
almost all news servers receive posts from more than one source. One
reason for a duplicate post is that the message's ID got changed. (How
that happens, I don't know.)

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

paul packer said:

I too have been getting reactivated old posts on my reader. I wonder
if anyone knows how that happens.

Each Usenet post has a unique message ID. Each news server records the IDs
of the posts it receives and rejects duplicates. This is necessary because
almost all news servers receive posts from more than one source. One
reason for a duplicate post is that the message's ID got changed. (How
that happens, I don't know.)

Another is that a server went down, and a backup was installed with the
older emails still active. Shouldn't happen, but certainly not without the
realm of possibility.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

paul packer said:

I too have been getting reactivated old posts on my reader. I wonder
if anyone knows how that happens.

Each Usenet post has a unique message ID. Each news server records the IDs
of the posts it receives and rejects duplicates. This is necessary because
almost all news servers receive posts from more than one source. One
reason for a duplicate post is that the message's ID got changed. (How
that happens, I don't know.)

Another is that a server went down, and a backup was installed with the
older emails still active. Shouldn't happen, but certainly not without the
realm of possibility.

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did during the
triangle episode, I would now say regarding this thread: "Inability to
work a newsreader noted. Operator error."
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because I was right about
your problems with downloading the proper triangle file. I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually downloading the wrong
file. Then you went on and on about the wrong file, condemning my web site
because of your error.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because I was right about
your problems with downloading the proper triangle file.

LOL No you weren't. I tried to download just as I've download all of
the other hundreds of sound files that I've downloaded.

I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually downloading the wrong
file.

A "working URL" that wouldn't download to my computer and a "wrong file"
that for some reason you keep on your site.

Then you went on and on about the wrong file, condemning my web site
because of your error.

No, I "condemned your web site" because of false advertising with the
"trumpets" "French Horns" and "Violins" file.

Anyway, I'm right. If the situation were reversed you would accuse me
of not being able to work a newsreader.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right,
because I was right about your problems with downloading
the proper triangle file.

LOL No you weren't. I tried to download just as I've
download all of the other hundreds of sound files that
I've downloaded.

So Jenn, you generally avoid using provided URLs to download files?

I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually
downloading the wrong file.

A "working URL" that wouldn't download to my computer

The internet isn't perfectly reliable. Everybody knows that.

If you had any problems you could have always either retried later on, or
contacted me on RAO.

and a "wrong file" that for some reason you keep on your site.

There's only one file on my site with the name I specified.

Where did I say to search for the file using Google, and then download a
file with a different name, which is what you later admitted that you did.

Then you went on and on about the wrong file, condemning
my web site because of your error.

No, I "condemned your web site" because of false
advertising with the "trumpets" "French Horns" and
"Violins" file.

There's no advertising on my site at all - just names that uniquely identify
things on the site.

Anyway, I'm right.

Of course.

If the situation were reversed you would accuse me of not being able to
work a newsreader.

Nahh. There's no need for me to accuse you of anything - your own words
from the Google archive tell the full story. You paniced when you encounted
a temporary outage that is simply part of life, and then you went out on
your own way.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right,
because I was right about your problems with downloading
the proper triangle file.

LOL No you weren't. I tried to download just as I've
download all of the other hundreds of sound files that
I've downloaded.

So Jenn, you generally avoid using provided URLs to download files?

Nope.

I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually
downloading the wrong file.

A "working URL" that wouldn't download to my computer

The internet isn't perfectly reliable. Everybody knows that.

I see. And yet you accused me of "operator error".

If you had any problems you could have always either retried later on,

I did, several times.

or
contacted me on RAO.

and a "wrong file" that for some reason you keep on your site.

There's only one file on my site with the name I specified.

Where did I say to search for the file using Google, and then download a
file with a different name, which is what you later admitted that you did.

Then you went on and on about the wrong file, condemning
my web site because of your error.

No, I "condemned your web site" because of false
advertising with the "trumpets" "French Horns" and
"Violins" file.

There's no advertising on my site at all - just names that uniquely identify
things on the site.

Names that don't tell the correct story.

Anyway, I'm right.

Of course.

If the situation were reversed you would accuse me of not being able to
work a newsreader.

Nahh. There's no need for me to accuse you of anything - your own words
from the Google archive tell the full story. You paniced when you encounted
a temporary outage that is simply part of life, and then you went out on
your own way.

Arny, the point is made. You are fond of accusing people of "operator
error"....except when it involves YOU.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny
did during the triangle episode, I would now say
regarding this thread: "Inability to work a
newsreader noted. Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right,
because I was right about your problems with
downloading the proper triangle file.

LOL No you weren't. I tried to download just as I've
download all of the other hundreds of sound files that
I've downloaded.

So Jenn, you generally avoid using provided URLs to
download files?

Nope.

Then try this one, I think that it is the same one I gave you some months
ago.

http://64.41.69.21/technical/referen...e-2_1644ds.wav

I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually
downloading the wrong file.

A "working URL" that wouldn't download to my computer

The internet isn't perfectly reliable. Everybody knows
that.

I see. And yet you accused me of "operator error".

The error was in your response to the well-known properties of the web.

If you had any problems you could have always either
retried later on,

I did, several times.

Apparently, you repeated the same error.

or contacted me on RAO.

Jenn has no response

and a "wrong file" that for some reason you keep on
your site.

There's only one file on my site with the name I
specified.

Jenn has no response

Where did I say to search for the file using Google, and
then download a file with a different name, which is
what you later admitted that you did.

Jenn has no response

Then you went on and on about the wrong file,
condemning my web site because of your error.

No, I "condemned your web site" because of false
advertising with the "trumpets" "French Horns" and
"Violins" file.

There's no advertising on my site at all - just names
that uniquely identify things on the site.

Names that don't tell the correct story.

"What's in a name"?

Anyway, I'm right.

Of course.

If the situation were reversed you would accuse me of
not being able to work a newsreader.

Nahh. There's no need for me to accuse you of anything
- your own words from the Google archive tell the full
story. You paniced when you encounted a temporary
outage that is simply part of life, and then you went
out on your own way.

Arny, the point is made. You are fond of accusing people
of "operator error"....except when it involves YOU.

But this error did involve me. It involved me being accused of errors that
you made all by yourself.

I'll know that you've download the right file when you comment on how nice
it fades out - nicer than any LP could.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

y.
com

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny
did during the triangle episode, I would now say
regarding this thread: "Inability to work a
newsreader noted. Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right,
because I was right about your problems with
downloading the proper triangle file.

LOL No you weren't. I tried to download just as I've
download all of the other hundreds of sound files that
I've downloaded.

So Jenn, you generally avoid using provided URLs to
download files?

Nope.

Then try this one, I think that it is the same one I gave you some months
ago.

http://64.41.69.21/technical/referen...e-2_1644ds.wav

It works fine.

I provided you with
a working URL and you went your own way, eventually
downloading the wrong file.

A "working URL" that wouldn't download to my computer

The internet isn't perfectly reliable. Everybody knows
that.

I see. And yet you accused me of "operator error".

The error was in your response to the well-known properties of the web.

If you had any problems you could have always either
retried later on,

I did, several times.

Apparently, you repeated the same error.

Nope, I downloaded it in exactly the same way I just did.

or contacted me on RAO.

Jenn has no response

None needed; already addressed.

and a "wrong file" that for some reason you keep on
your site.

There's only one file on my site with the name I
specified.

Jenn has no response

None needed; already addressed.

Where did I say to search for the file using Google, and
then download a file with a different name, which is
what you later admitted that you did.

Jenn has no response

None needed; the answer is obvious.

Then you went on and on about the wrong file,
condemning my web site because of your error.

No, I "condemned your web site" because of false
advertising with the "trumpets" "French Horns" and
"Violins" file.

There's no advertising on my site at all - just names
that uniquely identify things on the site.

Names that don't tell the correct story.

"What's in a name"?

I guess nothing, Tony.

Anyway, I'm right.

Of course.

If the situation were reversed you would accuse me of
not being able to work a newsreader.

Nahh. There's no need for me to accuse you of anything
- your own words from the Google archive tell the full
story. You paniced when you encounted a temporary
outage that is simply part of life, and then you went
out on your own way.

Arny, the point is made. You are fond of accusing people
of "operator error"....except when it involves YOU.

But this error did involve me. It involved me being accused of errors that
you made all by yourself.

No error made, see above.

I'll know that you've download the right file when you comment on how nice
it fades out - nicer than any LP could.

It fades out very nicely.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell Powell is offline

"Arny Krueger"wrote

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because
I was right about your problems with downloading the proper triangle file.
I provided you with a working URL and you went your own way, eventually
downloading the wrong file. Then you went on and on about the wrong file,
condemning my web site because of your error.

Note Arny's lack of understanding of how search engines
work and his poorly designed web site which he cannot
properly manage or maintain. Not to mention its
fraudulent content.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger"wrote

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because
I was right about your problems with downloading the
proper triangle file. I provided you with a working URL
and you went your own way, eventually downloading the
wrong file. Then you went on and on about the wrong
file, condemning my web site because of your error.

Note Arny's lack of understanding of how search engines
work

Irrelevant, since no search engine need be involved when a specific URL is
provided.

and his poorly designed web site

Irrelevant, since no web site design need be involved when a specific URL is
provided.

which he cannot properly manage or maintain.

Irrelevant, since no web site design maintenance be involved when a specific
URL is provided.

Not to mention its fraudulent content.

What fraud?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell Powell is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because
I was right about your problems with downloading the
proper triangle file. I provided you with a working URL
and you went your own way, eventually downloading the
wrong file. Then you went on and on about the wrong
file, condemning my web site because of your error.

Note Arny's lack of understanding of how search engines
work

snip quacking

Go take an adult education class on web mastering, Sugar Pants.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote

It occurred to me that if I wanted to act like Arny did
during the triangle episode, I would now say regarding
this thread: "Inability to work a newsreader noted.
Operator error."

Well Jenn, you then missed a chance to be right, because
I was right about your problems with downloading the
proper triangle file. I provided you with a working URL
and you went your own way, eventually downloading the
wrong file. Then you went on and on about the wrong
file, condemning my web site because of your error.
Note Arny's lack of understanding of how search engines
work

snip quacking

Go take an adult education class on web mastering, Sugar Pants.

Insult ignored.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Go take an adult education class on web mastering, Sugar Pants.

Insult ignored.

The comment that you "ignored" is an example of snottiness. If you
disapprove of such comments, please state so for the record. Then when we
all agree to abide by a single set of behavior guidelines, you'll be in
step with the rest of us.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.