PPA LD-1 Mic - any opinions?

Old December 17th 05, 01:14 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default PPA LD-1 Mic - any opinions?

This is a large diaphragm mic being sold by Pacific Pro Audio here in
Seattle. It is their own "house brand". Has anyone checked them out?
Here is the info page:

http://www.pacificproaudio.com/ld1_specs.asp

Old December 17th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Sebum > wrote:
>This is a large diaphragm mic being sold by Pacific Pro Audio here in
>Seattle. It is their own "house brand". Has anyone checked them out?
>Here is the info page:
>
>http://www.pacificproaudio.com/ld1_specs.asp

It's another one of the Shanghai-style mikes from the Feilo factory.
Old December 17th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

I have a pair that I have used quite a bit with classical piano. They
are a little darker sounding, not as bright as some other large
diaphragm tube mics I have heard (I also have a pair of Studio Projects
T3's that I'm going to be selling in the next couple of weeks. They are
brighter than the LD1). In the right space they're not bad, but as
others have pointed out in the past, the quality from mic to mic might
not be as consistent as other brands. I feel I got lucky, both of mine
seem to work well. I've had them about 3(?) years.

They are okay with choral, better with solo vocal or speech. Hated them
on strings, close-up (raspy!). Nice on flute, okay on acoustic guitar.
It really depends on what you are going to record. If you are recording
in churches/halls/concert type venues then I think you will hate the
set-up. It can take quite a while to place large diaphragm mics well.
In a studio environment it might be a little easier since you would
have more time to tweak.

I also built some Mogami/Neutrik cables because I didn't like the waxy
ones that came stock. They work, but feel cheap and don't ever "relax".
Where are you in Seattle? You can email me directly if you want to talk
mo sbcrockett "at" earthlink dot net

-Steve

Old December 17th 05, 06:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Sorry, Sebum. Just clicked on your link after my first post. I actually
own the PPA LD2ube not the LD1.

Opinions Needed on New DIY Radio Site DIYer Tech 2 January 11th 05 02:15 AM
Wharfdale Opinions Dinsdale Audio Opinions 2 March 7th 04 08:12 AM
Opinions on Sub fr335tyl3r Car Audio 2 January 3rd 04 02:25 AM
Opinions on a digital audio workstation? Jimmy Lee Pro Audio 3 November 28th 03 06:04 PM
sub $2000 rackmount mixer for project studio -- mic pre opinions Straatocastoer Pro Audio 7 November 26th 03 03:31 PM