Robert A. Fink, M. D.

Default Opinion

Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Marantz 7000 Integrated Amplifier

Marantz carousel CD changer

Cambridge Soundworks T-500 floor-standing speakers (with built-in
subwoofers).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C.
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA
Telephone: 510-849-2555
FAX: 510-849-2557
http://www.rafink.com

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"
Dogma4e

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:32:37 -0800, "Robert A. Fink, M. D."
wrote:

Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Sure. Everybody has opinions on those components. But first, whose
sockpuppet did you say you were? Can you prove you exist? Do you
believe DBTs ensure valid results? Romex or Monster? Are you a
registered paedophile?

See, Bobby, you just can't come waltzing in here and ask some
audio-related question. You need a proven identity, first. Do you
even understand what is being discussed?

Joseph Oberlander

Robert A. Fink, M. D. wrote:

Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Marantz 7000 Integrated Amplifier

Marantz carousel CD changer

Cambridge Soundworks T-500 floor-standing speakers (with built-in
subwoofers).

To buy? That you own? Intended use?

I'm assuming to buy - what's your total budget?

Robert A. Fink, M. D.

wrote:

Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Sure. Everybody has opinions on those components. But first, whose
sockpuppet did you say you were? Can you prove you exist? Do you
believe DBTs ensure valid results? Romex or Monster? Are you a
registered paedophile?

See, Bobby, you just can't come waltzing in here and ask some
audio-related question. You need a proven identity, first. Do you
even understand what is being discussed?

Wow, what a wonderful welcome to this NG! One asks a legitimate
question and it draws a set of flames.

For anyone's interest, I simply happen to be a private individual, a
neurosurgeon who practices in the San Francisco Bay Area, who enjoys
classical music and good jazz, and who is in the market for a new
audio system for my home. I also happen to be a musician myself
(piano and percussion) and I have been working with audio components
since the late 1950's (we called it "hi-fi" in those days), when it
still was powered by tubes.

I am about to spend just a little short of $3000 for the components
mentioned in my original message, but it looks as if I came to the
wrong place for any input. Since when does a poster to Usenet need an
"identity"? Are passports required?

I won't bother anyone here again.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C.
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA
Telephone: 510-849-2555
FAX: 510-849-2557
http://www.rafink.com

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

George M. Middius

Robert A. Fink, M. D. said:

Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Sure. Everybody has opinions on those components. But first, whose
sockpuppet did you say you were? Can you prove you exist? Do you
believe DBTs ensure valid results? Romex or Monster? Are you a
registered paedophile?

See, Bobby, you just can't come waltzing in here and ask some
audio-related question. You need a proven identity, first. Do you
even understand what is being discussed?

Wow, what a wonderful welcome to this NG! One asks a legitimate
question and it draws a set of flames.

This specific "flame" wasn't directed at you.

For anyone's interest, I simply happen to be a private individual, a
neurosurgeon who practices in the San Francisco Bay Area, who enjoys
classical music and good jazz, and who is in the market for a new
audio system for my home. I also happen to be a musician myself
(piano and percussion) and I have been working with audio components
since the late 1950's (we called it "hi-fi" in those days), when it
still was powered by tubes.

Prove you can hear your way out of a paper bag and you're not just a
stroke.

I am about to spend just a little short of $3000 for the components
mentioned in my original message, but it looks as if I came to the
wrong place for any input. Since when does a poster to Usenet need an
"identity"? Are passports required?

We can go over this as many times as necessary.

I won't bother anyone here again.

Maybe somebody will enlighten you. Doggie was a little heavy-handed
in my opinion.

Robert Morein

"Robert A. Fink, M. D." wrote in message
Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Marantz 7000 Integrated Amplifier

Marantz carousel CD changer

Cambridge Soundworks T-500 floor-standing speakers (with built-in
subwoofers).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C.
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA
Telephone: 510-849-2555
FAX: 510-849-2557
http://www.rafink.com

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

They are OK. Decent, not exceptional. Could be a buy at the right price.

Robert Morein

"Robert A. Fink, M. D." wrote in message
Anyone have an opinion of the following set of components:

Marantz 7000 Integrated Amplifier

Marantz carousel CD changer

Cambridge Soundworks T-500 floor-standing speakers (with built-in
subwoofers).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C.
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA
Telephone: 510-849-2555
FAX: 510-849-2557
http://www.rafink.com

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Sorry to hear about your bad r.a.o. experience.

It's OK stuff, not exceptional.
I suggest you take a look at the Hafler P3000 and a good used preamp. Sony
players have better DACs, IMHO. Cambridge is OK, but there are, of course,
better speakers.

S888Wheel

[...]

Given your budget I would look at the Vandersteens 2Ces and work from there.
Dogma4e

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:58:56 -0800, "Robert A. Fink, M. D."
wrote:

(Dogma4e) wrote:

Are you a registered paedophile?

For anyone's interest, I simply happen to be a private individual, a
neurosurgeon who practices in the San Francisco Bay Area, who enjoys
classical music and good jazz, and who is in the market for a new
audio system for my home. I also happen to be a musician myself
(piano and percussion) and I have been working with audio components
since the late 1950's (we called it "hi-fi" in those days), when it
still was powered by tubes.

Avoiding answering the question noted. Seriously, as George pointed
out, my responses aren't aimed at you. My apologies.
Sockpuppet Yustabe

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

[...]

he can match them up with a Jolida tube amp and cd player. It would come in
at just about $3,000

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote:

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Given your budget I would look at the Vandersteens 2Ces and work from

there.

he can match them up with a Jolida tube amp and cd player. It would come in
at just about $3,000

Used: Quad ESL 63, Arcam 9 cd, NAD or Rotel integrated.

Stephen
S888Wheel

he can match them up with a Jolida tube amp and cd player. It would come in
at just about $3,000

That sounds like a hell of a system for the money.

Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

he can match them up with a Jolida tube amp and cd player. It would
come in at just about $3,000

That sounds like a hell of a system for the money.

Focus on that word: "hell".

S888Wheel

I said

That sounds like a hell of a system for the money.

Arny said

Focus on that word: "hell".

So you think this system wouls sound anything less than excellent? Vandersteen
2Ces, with the Jolida amp and CD player? Have you ever heard this combo? Have
you ever heard the Vandersteens?
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

That sounds like a hell of a system for the money.

Arny said

Focus on that word: "hell".

So you think this system wouls sound anything less than excellent?

IME Vandersteens are kinda inefficient to be well-matched to your typical
thermionic figurative peanut-whistle.

Vandersteen 2Ces, with the Jolida amp and CD player? Have you ever
heard this combo?

Hey, its the old mix and match components until you find something that
someone has never heard and then claim unique knowledge game. It's an old
newsgroup gambit. Lame.

Have you ever heard the Vandersteens?

I've heard Vandersteens on several occasions, though only with amps that
matched their modest efficiency.

S888Wheel

I said

That sounds like a hell of a system for the money.

Arny said

Focus on that word: "hell".

I said

So you think this system wouls sound anything less than excellent?

Arny said

IME Vandersteens are kinda inefficient to be well-matched to your typical
thermionic figurative peanut-whistle.

Not an answer to the question. I'll guess you haven't heard this system. So
what is your experience with the Vandersteeens?

I said

Vandersteen 2Ces, with the Jolida amp and CD player? Have you ever
heard this combo?

Arny said

Hey, its the old mix and match components until you find something that
someone has never heard and then claim unique knowledge game. It's an old
newsgroup gambit. Lame.

IOW no. I figured as much. Yet you claim it sounds like hell.

I said

Have you ever heard the Vandersteens?

Arny said

I've heard Vandersteens on several occasions, though only with amps that
matched their modest efficiency.

How did they sound to you? Like hell?
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

[...]

No, they sounded pretty good, but like I said they were used with amplifiers
that had enough power, not the peanut whistles you recommended.

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Arny said

I've heard Vandersteens on several occasions, though only with amps
that matched their modest efficiency.

How did they sound to you? Like hell?

No, they sounded pretty good, but like I said they were used with amplifiers
that had enough power, not the peanut whistles you recommended.

Vandersteen recommends 40-160 watts for the 2Ce. Jolida makes integrated
amps with 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100 watts. You might not want to use the 25
watt integrated or the 8 watt SET integrated, but it looks like Jolida
has five models that should work.

Stephen
Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

IME Vandersteens are kinda inefficient to be well-matched to your typical
thermionic figurative peanut-whistle.

Possible.
However, I'm now driving a pair of Magnepans MG1 improved with a
simple PP triode amplifier that puts out a meagre 13volts eff. at 8
ohm parallel with 1 uF.
However, the attenuation at 4 ohms is only 1 dB, and at 2 ohms 1,5 dB,
measured at 1 watt output.
Not enough to reach high volumes, I agree, but enough to my ears in my
listening room.
Driving the Vandersteens with a Jolida should IMO be possible in some
instances.

BTW the Magnepans' efficiency is about 82 dB/W/m.
Amplifier "power" is about 20 watts RMS in 8 ohms.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
Sander deWaal

MiNE 109 said:

Vandersteen recommends 40-160 watts for the 2Ce. Jolida makes integrated
amps with 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100 watts. You might not want to use the 25
watt integrated or the 8 watt SET integrated, but it looks like Jolida
has five models that should work.

Please don't forget that a simple notation of "100 watts" in 8 ohms
isn't enough to ensure that this amp can drive any load.
The current capability is important as well.
If that 100 watt amp hasn't got the capability to double the power in
half the load, it sure won't be able to drive a real world
loudspeaker, which isn't a constant "8 or 4 ohms" over the frequency
range..
Therefor, it's better to look at the voltage an amp can put out in
various loads.
If that voltage is relatively constant, and this means a power supply
that is well-regulated and capable of delivering enough current, then
at least one requirement is met.
My 25 W/8 ohms hybrid MOSFET amp plays louder than most 100 watt
commercial designs, due to an enormous supply reserve of 500 VA.
It doubles up power in 4 and 2 ohms, and to a lesser degree in 1 ohm.
My 20 W/8 ohms triode amp plays only slightly less loud than the
MOSFET model under normal listening conditions, despite the fact that
it is a tube amp. It will however lose the competition with the MOSFET
amp when playing (too) loud.
Again, a very good supply design and output transformer make this
possible. See the figures in a previous post by me.
IMHO, it's possible for a good tube amp to have sufficient current
reserve to drive most speaker loads.
A well-designed solid state amp will always be better in this regard,
though.

Of course, this is just only one (but important) requirement for an
amplifier to sound good on a given speaker.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
S888Wheel

I said

[...]

I didn't recomend the Joulida I simply speculated that it would be a good
combo. That was based on my extensive experience with the Vandersteens and
tubed amplification. Unlike you, I have actually heard a similar combo and it
sounded great to me. But it's nice to know you are willing to trash the sound
of systems you have not actually heard even when your only experience with any
of the components in question was "pretty good" to you.

MiNE 109

In article ,
Sander deWaal wrote:

MiNE 109 said:

Vandersteen recommends 40-160 watts for the 2Ce. Jolida makes integrated
amps with 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100 watts. You might not want to use the 25
watt integrated or the 8 watt SET integrated, but it looks like Jolida
has five models that should work.

Please don't forget that a simple notation of "100 watts" in 8 ohms
isn't enough to ensure that this amp can drive any load.
The current capability is important as well.

Yes, that's a good point.

If that 100 watt amp hasn't got the capability to double the power in
half the load, it sure won't be able to drive a real world
loudspeaker, which isn't a constant "8 or 4 ohms" over the frequency
range..
Therefor, it's better to look at the voltage an amp can put out in
various loads.
If that voltage is relatively constant, and this means a power supply
that is well-regulated and capable of delivering enough current, then
at least one requirement is met.

Jolida doesn't specify voltage, except in the distortion spec (20 V).

[...]

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Stephen

Sander deWaal

MiNE 109 said:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Now THAT'S an interesting suggestion, missed that the first time.
Too bad one can hardly find a good pair of 63's where I live for under
$ 3000. Are they that much cheaper in the States?
BTW a cheap amp/receiver will probably have difficulties driving the
63s, but one can always replace the amp afterwards.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

[...]

Backpedaling on a seemingly strong recommendation becomes you, sockpuppet
Wheel.

That was based on my extensive experience with the
Vandersteens and tubed amplification.

But not extensive enough to cover what you recommended?

Unlike you, I have actually
heard a similar combo and it sounded great to me.

That's right sockpuppet wheel, no matter what I listen to, what I listen to
will not reflect on how it sounds to you.

But it's nice to
know you are willing to trash the sound of systems you have not
actually heard even when your only experience with any of the
components in question was "pretty good" to you.

I probably have higher standards for sound quality than you do, sockpuppet
Wheel. Perhaps its due to the fact that I can audition equipment with
recordings based on live performances that I was intimately involved with?

ScottW

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
MiNE 109 said:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Now THAT'S an interesting suggestion, missed that the first time.
Too bad one can hardly find a good pair of 63's where I live for under
$ 3000.

I got an excellent pair for $1600 year ago.
They list a pair of US monitors for $2195.
Last time I was in they had a couple pair that needed
repair and the owner said they had the parts and would do it
if I knew anyone interested. I don't think they are
pushing them as they are a Quad dealer.

http://www.jeffssoundvalues.com

This place also has a pair for $2400

http://www.stereodesign.com/used/usedlist.htm

Are they that much cheaper in the States?
BTW a cheap amp/receiver will probably have difficulties driving the
63s, but one can always replace the amp afterwards.

My KSA-150 has no problem though I could use a little more
gain on the front end.

ScottW

Arny Krueger

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Arny said

I've heard Vandersteens on several occasions, though only with amps
that matched their modest efficiency.

How did they sound to you? Like hell?

No, they sounded pretty good, but like I said they were used with
amplifiers that had enough power, not the peanut whistles you
recommended.

Vandersteen recommends 40-160 watts for the 2Ce. Jolida makes
integrated amps with 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100 watts.

Nice stab at a Schoepenhauer type one argument. You deceptively removed the
text where I limited my comments to amps that had typical power output for
tubed amplifiers, which is 35 wpc or less.

You might not want
to use the 25 watt integrated or the 8 watt SET integrated, but it
looks like Jolida has five models that should work.

None of them fit into the limits indicated by the text that I wrote and you
deleted, Stephen.

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Arny said

I've heard Vandersteens on several occasions, though only with amps
that matched their modest efficiency.

How did they sound to you? Like hell?

No, they sounded pretty good, but like I said they were used with
amplifiers that had enough power, not the peanut whistles you
recommended.

Vandersteen recommends 40-160 watts for the 2Ce. Jolida makes
integrated amps with 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100 watts.

Nice stab at a Schoepenhauer type one argument. You deceptively removed the
text where I limited my comments to amps that had typical power output for
tubed amplifiers, which is 35 wpc or less.

Talk about Schoepenhauer: Scott wasn't talking about "typical" tube
amps; he mentioned Jolida specifically as a brand.

You might not want
to use the 25 watt integrated or the 8 watt SET integrated, but it
looks like Jolida has five models that should work.

None of them fit into the limits indicated by the text that I wrote and you
deleted, Stephen.

If you were talking about amps "that had typical power output for tubed
amplifiers, which is 35 wpc or less" then how do those models not
qualify?

Or do you mean the 5 models of Jolida integrated amp you were unaware of
when you responded to "Jolida" with "peanut whistles"?

Besides, I didn't comment on your statements.

Stephen

MiNE 109

In article ,
Sander deWaal wrote:

MiNE 109 said:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Now THAT'S an interesting suggestion, missed that the first time.
Too bad one can hardly find a good pair of 63's where I live for under
$ 3000. Are they that much cheaper in the States?
BTW a cheap amp/receiver will probably have difficulties driving the
63s, but one can always replace the amp afterwards.

They go for under $2000 on ebay or audiogon, but they're not always
available when you want them!

Some Rotel and NAD amps can survive the Quad "speaker protection", so
one could conceivably pair a $6000/new speaker with a $400 amp with some
success.

Or one could buy a half-dozen $99 Onkyo refurbished receivers to use up
and go easy on the volume.

Stephen
S888Wheel

I said

I didn't recomend the Joulida I simply speculated that it would be a
good combo.

Arny said

Backpedaling on a seemingly strong recommendation becomes you, sockpuppet
Wheel.

Misrepresenting the facts is typical of you. I never recomended the Joulida. I
was simply correcting your mistake.

I said

That was based on my extensive experience with the
Vandersteens and tubed amplification.

Arny said

But not extensive enough to cover what you recommended?

Your question is based on a false premise of your own creation. I stand behind
what I said. You seem to stand behind your misrepresentation of what I said. So
yes, my experience is extensive enough to stand behind what I said about the
Joulida/ Vandersteen combination.

I said

Unlike you, I have actually
heard a similar combo and it sounded great to me.

Arny said

That's right sockpuppet wheel, no matter what I listen to, what I listen to
will not reflect on how it sounds to you.

Of course not. But then I also am not afflicted with prejudices against tubed
gear or speaker manufacturers whose philosophies in audio are different than
mine.

I said

But it's nice to
know you are willing to trash the sound of systems you have not
actually heard even when your only experience with any of the
components in question was "pretty good" to you.

Arny said

I probably have higher standards for sound quality than you do, sockpuppet
Wheel.

Balony.

Arny said

Perhaps its due to the fact that I can audition equipment with
recordings based on live performances that I was intimately involved with?

Perhaps not. Just becuase you make crappy recordings doesn't mean you are any
less incompetent at evaluating audio.
Joseph Oberlander

MiNE 109 wrote:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Ecch. Just have the OP buy a Bryston amp and the Vandersteens.
Problem solved.

MiNE 109

In article t,
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Ecch.

You recommend MMGs and Quads get an "ecch"?

Just have the OP buy a Bryston amp and the Vandersteens.
Problem solved.

He's gone. Besides, I don't actually like Vandersteens.
George M. Middius

MiNE 109 said:

Besides, I don't actually like Vandersteens.

Neither, apparently does Krooger. Not to worry, you don't need to be
committed.

Joseph Oberlander

MiNE 109 wrote:

In article t,
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Ecch.

You recommend MMGs and Quads get an "ecch"?

It's the amp. MMGs and Quads are fine, actually, but hard to drive.

MiNE 109

In article et,
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote:

In article t,
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote:

The Original Poster seemed to be asking for a good $3k system (stereo
with cd). Vandersteens are designed to be kind to solid state
amplifiers, so that's where I'd start, although I imagine a good tube
amp would serve. (No one commented on my $3k recommendation: Quad
63s/used and a cheap integrated amp.)

Ecch.

You recommend MMGs and Quads get an "ecch"?

It's the amp. MMGs and Quads are fine, actually, but hard to drive.

I've heard good results from the NAD C340, despite some gain problems
with some sources. ScottW reports similar problems with a Krell amp, so
maybe it's not a question of price.

Stephen
Sockpuppet Yustabe

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

He's gone. Besides, I don't actually like Vandersteens.

What do you like better, in the same price range?
I am not trying to start something, I am just curious.

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote:

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

He's gone. Besides, I don't actually like Vandersteens.

What do you like better, in the same price range?
I am not trying to start something, I am just curious.

My purchases in that range were used speakers, so my opinions can be,
umm, discounted. That said, I've liked the Maggie 1.6 and small PSB and
Dynaudio monitors. If I were buying new, I'd try to find Revel, Thiel
and Quad floorstanders for various reasons.

Stephen
ScottW

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

I've heard good results from the NAD C340, despite some gain problems
with some sources. ScottW reports similar problems with a Krell amp, so
maybe it's not a question of price.

My problem is on the front end in my pre-amp. I would like about 6 db
of additional gain but I still am able to enjoy my vinyl.
I have no problem with sound levels of my CD into a passive attenuator
into the same amp.
The amp has no problem driving the Quads to decent
sound levels with a decent input level.

ScottW