ScottW

Default So. Cal Burning

I woke this morning to find my truck covered with ash in our driveway due
to wild fires in eastern SD county. My wife is in LA and she just called
to say her car was covered in ash this morning.

Fires I know of in San Bernadino, Simi Valley, Valley Center, Scripps
Ranch, Clairemont Mesa, Ramona, Miramar Naval Air Station, Camp Pendleton,
and Fallbrook.

They are calling the fires in east San Diego county burning right now that
are headed west right into the heart of the city the worst in the history
of the county. Winds have pushed flames from Ramona all the way to
Clairemont Mesa in less than 12 hours. That is about 20 miles. 50 homes and
80,000 acres burned so far and those numbers are climbing by the hour. The
structure count will go up for sure when the smoke clears. They are warning
folks that an anticipated wind shift tonight might push the fire through
Fairbanks Ranch into Rancho SantaFe.

So many fires burning around the state that it wasn't until about 11 AM
they reported that 2 air tankers were being dispatched to SD to assist. So
for, all they can do is evacuate and attempt limited structure defense.
At least 3 deaths confirmed in San Diego, probably more up north. I-15 and
163 and 52 are all closed.

ScottW

ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message

At least 3 deaths confirmed in San Diego, probably more up north. I-15

and
163 and 52 are all closed.

The death count was just increased to 10 confirmed in San Diego. Between
LA and SD they are estimating 208,000 acres burned and 500 homes destroyed.

ScottW

George M. Middius

Scottie said:

The death count was just increased to 10 confirmed in San Diego. Between
LA and SD they are estimating 208,000 acres burned and 500 homes destroyed.

As an arsonist, you are a pro.

ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message

At least 3 deaths confirmed in San Diego, probably more up north. I-15

and
163 and 52 are all closed.

The death count was just increased to 10 confirmed in San Diego.

Between
LA and SD they are estimating 208,000 acres burned and 500 homes

destroyed.

They just closed I-805. That is about 10 miles west of the I-15. I-8
was also closed east of I-15.

Tiera Santa was evacuated. (Suburb east of SD).

Lionel

ScottW wrote:

[...]

I sew that on news here.
All my best wishes.

ScottW

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Scottie said:

The death count was just increased to 10 confirmed in San Diego.

Between
LA and SD they are estimating 208,000 acres burned and 500 homes

destroyed.

As an arsonist, you are a pro.

You just sank below Arny, congrats.

George M. Middius

Scottie said:

As an arsonist, you are a pro.

You just sank below Arny, congrats.

Arnii is a child molestor, and you're an idiot.

ScottW

"Lionel" wrote in message
ScottW wrote:

[...]

Now they are evacuating Kearny Mesa. Thats a densely populated area of
north SD city. I live in north county well out of the path of the southern
fire, and far enough south of the Valley Center fire to only be a little
concerned about it. Winds are calm close to the coast but inland they are
causing problems. I just went upstairs and looked to the east and you can
see smoke plumes rising in the northeast and southeast against a total grey
backdrop moving slowly south. To the west just haze. This is a dry Santa
Ana wind day and without the fires it would be absolutely clear. A very
sad day out here.

ScottW

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

WOW. 52 closure, is it east or west of I-15?
I-63 aand I-15, are they closed around Miramar?

ScottW

"Langis" wrote in message
news
"ScottW" wrote:

[...]

Audio related?

No.

ScottW

ScottW

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

WOW. 52 closure, is it east or west of I-15?

Both. They closed I-805 south of the split with I-5.

I-63 aand I-15, are they closed around Miramar?

Yes, evacuations underway in sections of Clairemont Mesa and Kearny Mesa.

This one is much bigger than the Olivenhain fire that went through the
area your family lives.
So far, I think the fire isn't threatening Rancho Bernardo. It went
through south of Poway and the winds are pushing it south.
They could definitely be in the smoke path from the Valley Center fire
though.

ScottW

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

WOW. 52 closure, is it east or west of I-15?

Both. They closed I-805 south of the split with I-5.

I-63 aand I-15, are they closed around Miramar?

Yes, evacuations underway in sections of Clairemont Mesa and Kearny Mesa.

This one is much bigger than the Olivenhain fire that went through the
area your family lives.
So far, I think the fire isn't threatening Rancho Bernardo. It went
through south of Poway and the winds are pushing it south.
They could definitely be in the smoke path from the Valley Center fire
though.

ScottW

He said he is getting a burning odor outdoors, but no smoke.

ScottW

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

He said he is getting a burning odor outdoors, but no smoke.

They are recomending people stay indoors and if they have any respritory
problems, keep windows closed and run the AC if they have a filtered
system.

Wind is calm at my place right now. They just had a live shot of the
I-15/8 interchange. Only a few emergency vehicles as 15 to the north is
closed and 8 to the east is as well. It was so dark, all the vehicle have
lights on. A sister- in -law just called from Carson and they are getting
smoke and ash from fires in San Bernadino. Another sister-in-law is
watching hills burning north of their place in Riverside. Probably the
same fire that is sending smoke and ash all the way to Carson some 20 miles
or more west.

ScottW

ScottW

The Valley Center fire has moved into Escondido and they are calling for
evacuations in the northeast corner. I can see plumes of smoke due east of
my place, probably 10 to 15 miles. Smoke is still moving to the south but
it appears to be calming.

They just mentioned that fires are reported in Rancho Bernardo south of
Poway. I dont know of a section of RB that is south of Poway but it could
be.
It has pretty much swept through Scripps Ranch now and the worst area is
Tierra Santa which was evacuated earlier. Their showing homes going up
there.
Fire lines on the ridges east of Carmel Mountain Ranch have those folks
worried.
Now San Carlos along Mission Gorge and Mission Trails park is being
evacuated.

They're saying the fire reached all the way down to Otay Lakes and has
crossed into Mexico. Acreage burned is estimated to be in excess of 100K
acres in SD county.

George M. Middius

The Idiot said:

I can see plumes of smoke due east of my place, probably 10 to 15 miles.
Smoke is still moving to the south but it appears to be calming.

So the rain dance didn't work?

Arny Krueger

Scottie said:

The death count was just increased to 10 confirmed in San Diego.
Between LA and SD they are estimating 208,000 acres burned and 500
homes destroyed.

As an arsonist, you are a pro.

You just sank below Arny, congrats.

Middius been down there for a long time Scott, you're just too ignorannt and
spiteful to figure it out, until it affected you directly. You've got the
abstract reasoning power of a rotten piece of carrot.

BTW we're pretty concerned about the SD fires as I know a number of people
(As opposed to stupid Middius-loving low-life like you) that live there. I
was speaking with one of them this afternoon and the conversation ended
something like this - A piece of ash just landed in my eye and the horizon
looks like a volcano...

So while you whine about ashes on your car Scott, real people are dying.

ScottW

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So while you whine about ashes on your car Scott, real people are dying.

Hey, there's an accurate representation of what I said.
I'm sure your friends appreciate the subtle manner in which you used their
plight to get in a cheap shot on RAO.
I'm sure Middius appreciates your efforts to prove his point.

ScottW

ScottW

They just suspended flight operations into nearly every major airport in
So. Cal.
LAX, San Diego, Burbank, Ontario, and John Wayne.

I think that is a first.

ScottW

ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message
They just suspended flight operations into nearly every major airport in
So. Cal.
LAX, San Diego, Burbank, Ontario, and John Wayne.

I think that is a first.

ScottW

They also requested the NFL cancel the football game scheduled for
tomorrow night SD or at least relocate it.

ScottW

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

Rancho Bernardo is northwest of Poway, but Rancho Bernardo Road
goes south of Poway.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So while you whine about ashes on your car Scott, real people are dying.

Hey, there's an accurate representation of what I said.
I'm sure your friends appreciate the subtle manner in which you used

their
plight to get in a cheap shot on RAO.
I'm sure Middius appreciates your efforts to prove his point.

ScottW

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message

(As opposed to stupid Middius-loving low-life like you) that live there.

Scottie looooves Georgie!!!
Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!!!!

ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message
They just suspended flight operations into nearly every major airport in
So. Cal.
LAX, San Diego, Burbank, Ontario, and John Wayne.

Now they are saying SouthWest Airlines has suspended operations into these
airports but they aren't actually closed.
It's crazy.

ScottW

Arny Krueger

"ScottW" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So while you whine about ashes on your car Scott, real people are
dying.

Hey, there's an accurate representation of what I said.

As if you've ever shown an iota of fairness in judging what I've said,
Scotty.

I'm sure your friends appreciate the subtle manner in which you used
their plight to get in a cheap shot on RAO.

As if you haven't just taken any number of cheap shots at me, Scotty.

I'm sure Middius appreciates your efforts to prove his point.

I'm sure Middius and sockpuppet Yustabe appreciate the way you've been
acting as their straight man, Scotty.

Hey Scotty, you're proud of your friendship what that pervert Phillips. What
more needs to be said?

trotsky

ScottW wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

They just suspended flight operations into nearly every major airport in
So. Cal.
LAX, San Diego, Burbank, Ontario, and John Wayne.

I think that is a first.

ScottW

They also requested the NFL cancel the football game scheduled for
tomorrow night SD or at least relocate it.

I think that was because it was such a mismatch.

dave weil

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:10:52 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

[...]

Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?
ScottW

"dave weil" wrote in message
news

Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

ScottW

George M. Middius

The Idiot said:

Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

God DAMN, are you stupid.

MiNE 109

wrote:

[...]

Maybe we can make exceptions for World Series results and natural
disasters.

My late grandparents used to live east of San Diego, so I know the area
a bit.

Stephen
Sockpuppet Yustabe

wrote:

[...]

My father is being evacuated.
(not necessarily due to his age)

ScottW

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

My father is being evacuated.
(not necessarily due to his age)

If the wind picks up tomorrow afternoon blowing due west (as one weather
model predicts), the fire east of Escondido is predicted to reach San
Marcos, the fire in Otay Lakes area will go right into Chula Vista, Alpine
fire into El Cajon and the Poway fires will move into RB. The fire chief
says they won't be able to do anything without air support and all of Ca.
tankers are already assigned fires. Apparently they assign them as the
fires break out and since SD's started last, all the tankers were already
in use. Last report I heard, they weren't planning on getting any state
assistance tomorrow.

All the school districts are closed (except San Marcos but I expect that to
change). All non-emergency city and state personnel are to stay home
tomorrow to keep the roads clear. Only freeway that wasn't shut down
somewhere today in the county is I-5.

It is probably best to evacuate your Dad tonight while things are
relatively calm. Weather reports are starting to look promising but they
really don't know what tomorrow will bring. Even mild winds can get the
fires going and then they create their own weather. They had a video of a
fire created tornado that actually showed flames swirling into the air and
touching down a good distance away and starting another fire.

The football game has been moved to Phoenix and the stadium is an evac
center. They already had to close two evac centers out in east county as
they were threatened.

Even if weather cooperates tomorrow this thing won't be over. The Otay
Lakes area fire won't be contained until the 30th and weather is calling
for a couple days of cooling followed by a new high pressure system and
possibly more Santa Ana conditions later in the week or next weekend.

ScottW

GeoSynch

Dormer dundered:

So many fires burning around the state...

Audio related?

"I see your hair is burning,
Hills are filled with fire..."

The Doors "L.A. Woman"

So, buzz off, irrelevant Limey.

GeoSynch

Arny Krueger

"ScottW" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So while you whine about ashes on your car Scott, real people are
dying.

Hey, there's an accurate representation of what I said.
I'm sure your friends appreciate the subtle manner in which you used
their plight to get in a cheap shot on RAO.

Scotty, I'm sure your friends and neighbors appreciate the way you've been
using their plight to get attention on RAO.

BTW, for factual, detailed, non-hysterical reporting, people might want to
look at http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Lionel

GeoSynch wrote:
Dormer dundered:

So many fires burning around the state...

Audio related?

"I see your hair is burning,
Hills are filled with fire..."

The Doors "L.A. Woman"

So, buzz off, irrelevant Limey.

GeoSynch

Do you really think that this British midinette knows "L.A. Woman" ?

dave weil

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:04:59 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news

Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

Sure. I guess I can pratter on about what I had for breakfast this
morning. Then I can update you on my going out and buying a paper.
Then I'll talk about the phone call I got.

You're a self-absorbed little prat, aren't you?

dave weil

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:23:00 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

[...]

It's turned cold here in Nashville.

And it's raining.

David Joslin

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:04:59 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news

Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

Sure. I guess I can pratter on about what I had for breakfast this
morning. Then I can update you on my going out and buying a paper.
Then I'll talk about the phone call I got.

You're a self-absorbed little prat, aren't you?

Right now it's hard to get information about the fires that's current and
specific to one's area. The TV is focused on pictures from the various field
reporters and the newspaper sites empasize the big picture and not terribly
up to date. I appreciate Scott's reports because they have helped keep me
informed, so that I know whether my family or my house (in Clairemont Mesa
area) is at risk.

Scott is providing a community service. He is not "a self-absorbed little
prat." But you are.

David Joslin

dave weil

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:58:00 GMT, "David Joslin"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:04:59 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news
Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

Sure. I guess I can pratter on about what I had for breakfast this
morning. Then I can update you on my going out and buying a paper.
Then I'll talk about the phone call I got.

You're a self-absorbed little prat, aren't you?

Right now it's hard to get information about the fires that's current and
specific to one's area. The TV is focused on pictures from the various field
reporters and the newspaper sites empasize the big picture and not terribly
up to date. I appreciate Scott's reports because they have helped keep me
informed, so that I know whether my family or my house (in Clairemont Mesa
area) is at risk.

So tell me, how did *he* get the reports? HE GOT THEM FROM THE NEWS.

I'm sure that you can figure out whether the fires are close enough to
you to put ash on your car because that's about the extent of the
information that you can't get from the media.

Scott is providing a community service. He is not "a self-absorbed little
prat." But you are.

Minute by minute blow-by-blows can go private. If you think that Scott
is essential for your well-being because he seems to have better
information than you, then why not contact him privately?

BTW, I have no problem with mentioning it, just the obsessive posting
of every minute details, ESPECIALLY from someone whose stock in trade
is posting a couple of lines of dissing material to others on the
list. I'm sorry that I find it annoying to the max, but there you go.

BTW, it's still cloudy here in Nashville. And I'm leaving to go on an
overnight trip for a distillery tour at Buffalo Trace in Kentucky in
about an hour and a half, so, you'll be rid of me until tomorrow. I'm
sure you will be relieved.
Arny Krueger

"David Joslin" wrote in message

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:04:59 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news
Ummmm, do we *really* need all of these updates?

Ummmm, forget how to right click and mark read?
I guess that is a little advanced.

Sure. I guess I can pratter on about what I had for breakfast this
morning. Then I can update you on my going out and buying a paper.
Then I'll talk about the phone call I got.

You're a self-absorbed little prat, aren't you?

Right now it's hard to get information about the fires that's current
and specific to one's area. The TV is focused on pictures from the
various field reporters and the newspaper sites empasize the big
picture and not terribly up to date.

Here's a challenge. Find something said on RAO that isn't represented more
accurately, wiht more detail, and more up-to-date on:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

especially:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/ataglance.html

and

http://www.msnbc.com/news

Lionel

dave weil wrote:

BTW, it's still cloudy here in Nashville. And I'm leaving to go on an
overnight trip for a distillery tour at Buffalo Trace in Kentucky in
about an hour and a half, so, you'll be rid of me until tomorrow. I'm
sure you will be relieved.

I guess that you'll be rid of yourself for 4 or 5 hours also...