Jerry

Default Saturation in transformers.

The simple answer to your toroid question is this:

Saturation occurs when the excitation losses in the core
are excessive and reflect an excessive primary no load current.

The quantity that you are looking for is VA/lb. loss:

i.e If you experience any value over 10VA/lb. you are
in or approaching saturation.

For example: If your toroid weighs 4 lbs. and you had
40 VA, the primary no load current would be .3333Amperes.

That amount of current would occur at 16 kilogausse @ 60Hz.

Normally we do not design for any flux density higher than
14kilogausse, so these losses are not prohibitive.

I know that Patrick is going to bite his tounge at any flux
density over 10KG, but I design for the high volume world
where economics do come into play. Also, we use other
core materials in the 26Ga. non-oriented steel arena.
Most toroids are wound with thin, grain oriented steel.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Phil Allison

"Jerry"

The simple answer to your toroid question is this:

Saturation occurs when the excitation losses in the core
are excessive and reflect an excessive primary no load current.

** Defining "excessive" in each case is the problem - maker's opinions
differ, a lot.

The quantity that you are looking for is VA/lb. loss:

i.e If you experience any value over 10VA/lb. you are
in or approaching saturation.

For example: If your toroid weighs 4 lbs. and you had
40 VA, the primary no load current would be .3333Amperes.

That amount of current would occur at 16 kilogausse @ 60Hz.

Normally we do not design for any flux density higher than
14kilogausse, so these losses are not prohibitive.

** Toroidal transformers typically have extremely low off load VA readings
until the saturation knee voltage is reached - then the VA rises
exponentially with a vengeance.

A 500 VA rated toroidal I saw recently read only 3 VA at rated voltage (
230/240V AC) with no load.

However, if the supply voltage rose to 250 V AC, the reading climbed sharply
to 20VA.

At 260V AC it was 110 VA and at 270V AC, 300VA.

If the supply developed a small DC offset ( ie 2 volts DC ) the same
transformer would draw 300VA at 240V AC.

OTOH, e-core types behave rather differently, the off load VA rising
steadily with applied AC voltage and saturation onset is a lot more gradual
than with toroidals.

Small e-cores often run well into saturation at rated voltage with no
serious ill effects - it actually improves the regulation factor to allow
this since applying the rated load pulls the core out of saturation by
reducing the effective primary voltage.

You see this with "wall wart" transformers all the time.

......... Phil

Graham Holloway

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Jerry"

[...]

Phil

The differences you describe are down to the material used, not the shape.
If you use GOSS in an E core it will show sharp saturation characteristics.

Graham Holloway

Don Pearce

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:21:52 -0000, "Graham Holloway"
wrote:

[...]

I think maybe he is talking about the amount of flux leakage in a
typical E core stack - and even a considerable air gap compared to a
toroid. This has the effect of diluting the saturation effects
considerably, making for a much softer curve and greatly reduced nasty
effects at saturation.

Obviously the material is still important, but the construction has a
pretty big effect too.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Pooh Bear

Jerry wrote:

The simple answer to your toroid question is this:

Saturation occurs when the excitation losses in the core
are excessive and reflect an excessive primary no load current.

No.

There is no simple rule. Who decides what is 'excessive' anyway ?

OTOH if the core is so badly saturated that excessive primary current
flows then you're in *big* BIG trouble !

Deciding magnetising current ( and hence working flux ) is a balance
between efficiency ( various losses ) and core material properties.

Not for the faint hearted or sunday driver.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Phil Allison wrote:

OTOH, e-core types behave rather differently,

You're talking ****.

It's purely down to material properties. The path shape is utterly irrelevant.

Graham

Patrick Turner

Jerry wrote:

[...]

Your explanation wouldn't be easy for anyone without serious knowledge
to follow.

The design parameters for all transformers are related as follows :-

Fs = 22.6 x V x 10,000
------------------
B x Np x Afe

Where
Fs = frequency of saturation,
22.6 is a constant for all equations,
V = voltage in rms across the primary,
Np = primary turns,
B = maximum allowable magnetic field strength in Tesla in the core,
Afe = cross sectional area of the central core leg, in square mm.

The saturation is a voltage caused phenomena.

Power trannies may well be run at 1.6Tesla, but not
those in well designed audio gear where 1T is more appropriate.

Your reference to W/Lb losses isn't the whole story.

GOSS will have much lower W/Lb than non oriented SS.

Each type of steel will saturate at nearly the same B.

If you want a quiet running tranny that won't get hot, you must use more
turns
and iron for the same VA compared to what is done in the commercial
world
where many makers don't care that their trannies are mechanically noisy
and/or get roasting hot.

There is a whole lot more that helps at my website,

http://www.turneraudio.com.au

Patrick Turner.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Phil Allison

"Graham Holloway"

The differences you describe are down to the material used, not the shape.

** WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

If you use GOSS in an E core it will show sharp saturation
characteristics.

** NEVER with the low loss or near as sharp as a toroidal.

YOU have NOT done any tests.

................ Phil

Phil Allison

Graham Stevenson = PSYCHO POMMY **** !!!!!!

Phil Allison wrote:

OTOH, e-core types behave rather differently,

You're talking ****.

** You are ONE criminal, ****ing **** Stevenson.

You need a ****ing bullet in the head.

HOW DARE YOU STALK ME LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!!!

It's purely down to material properties.

The path shape is utterly irrelevant.

** Shame about all the ****ING AIR GAPS in an e-core that do not exist
with a toroidal core !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go **** your **** ugly mother, your ****wit brother or your mongoloid
sister - you pile of sub human pommy

GARBAGE !!!

............ Phil

Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear"

Deciding magnetising current ( and hence working flux ) is a balance
between efficiency ( various losses ) and core material properties.

Not for the faint hearted or sunday driver.

** Not for Mother ****ing CRIMINAL IDIOTS like Graham Stevenson

either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............ Phil

Jerry

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:25:52 -0700, Jerry wrote:

[...]

Good thinking, guys.

The excitation current is in phase quadrature
(wow) with the load current meaning that
you add the square of the load current to
the square of the exciting current and then
take the square root. You can then plot
the points at which the excitation current
makes a real difference in the temperature
rise. Now if you want to talk about controlling
in-rush current in a transformer that is another
whole matter dependent upon those funny
little gaps in the laminations. Fusing considerations
drove us nuts in the "old tube days."

Jerry
Phil Allison

"Jerry":

The excitation current is in phase quadrature
(wow) with the load current

** The maxima are in quadrature ( ie shifted 90 degrees) but the current
waveform is not a sine wave.

meaning that
you add the square of the load current to
the square of the exciting current and then
take the square root.

** The problem with that simplistic idea is that load current affects (
diminishes) magnetising current.

You can then plot
the points at which the excitation current
makes a real difference in the temperature
rise.

** Easier to just measure temp rise of a sample design to determine VA
rating.

Once you have that figure, a user only has to measure primary rms current
to see if the VA is within the limit.

.......... Phil

Ian Iveson

Graham Holloway wrote

The differences you describe are down to the material used, not
the shape. If you use GOSS in an E core it will show sharp
saturation characteristics.

No, for several reasons. A toroid is made from a single piece of
iron, the grain orientation is consistently in the direction of the
field...no corners and no arms at 90 degrees...and all the iron is
within the windings so the field strength is more constant
throughout. It is this consistency which gives it the sharp
saturation.

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

Patrick Turner wrote

Your explanation wouldn't be easy for anyone without serious
knowledge
to follow.

Why not? I followed it OK. I think.

Generally there are as many ways of explaining as there are
variables.

Fs = 22.6 x V x 10,000
------------------
B x Np x Afe

Where
Fs = frequency of saturation,
22.6 is a constant for all equations,
V = voltage in rms across the primary,
Np = primary turns,
B = maximum allowable magnetic field strength in Tesla in the
core,
Afe = cross sectional area of the central core leg, in square
mm.

The saturation is a voltage caused phenomena.

No.

Fundamentally, magnetic field depends on current. A voltage without
a current will not cause a magnetic field. Saturation arises from a
magnetic field, therefore it is directly related to current, not
voltage.

By your own formula, you should be able to see that saturation
depends not just on voltage, but also on frequency. For an inductor,
the upshot of voltage and frequency is current.

If you think of it as a load resistance in parallel with an
iron-cored inductor with a given core and number of windings, it is
the current through the inductor that produces the magnetic field,
hence too much current leads to saturation.

This agrees perfectly with Jerry's point, that the load can be
ignored...easily done by testing with no load.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"

The saturation is a voltage caused phenomena.

No.

** It is of no interest to transformer users to know what the saturation
current level is unless the applied voltage and frequency is specified.
Since Imag always increases with increasing applied voltage, that is the
practical way to view it - especially when the transformer is intended for
connection to the AC supply.

Saturation is non-linear behaviour, it cannot be analysed from a model that
treats the primary as a simple inductor.

Iron cored inductors are designed to behave linearly up to some current
figure - no such thing applies to AC supply transformer primaries.

.......... Phil

Ian Iveson

Daft Phil wrote

No.

** It is of no interest to transformer users to know what the
saturation current level is unless the applied voltage and
frequency is specified. Since Imag always increases with
increasing applied voltage, that is the practical way to view
t - especially when the transformer is intended for connection
to the AC supply.

Rubbish. And how would you know what is of interest to any
transformer user other than yourself. Where did I say transformer
users *are* interested? And what is the rest of the paragraph
for...are you arguing with yourself? What about?

I am a transformer user, and I am interested in saturation current.

And what's it got to do with "No" anyway...

Saturation is non-linear behaviour, it cannot be analysed from a
model that treats the primary as a simple inductor.

No kidding? Who said anything about a simple inductor? But it can
be usefully envisaged as an iron-cored inductor (which it is...you
can't hope to be taken seriously if you don't know a transformer is
an inductor, clot) in parallel with the reflected secondary load.

It is useful to do so, regardless of how complicated the inductor,
because it reveals why the current due to the load does not lead to
saturation, whereas the current through the inductor can.

Note that the usefulness of this model has nothing to do with the
simplicity or otherwise of the inductor you envisage.

In any event, models and analysis are both *always* simpler than
reality. Otherwise there would be no point in using them.

Iron cored inductors are designed to behave linearly up to some
current figure - no such thing applies to AC supply transformer
primaries.

Er...what babble is this? Hands up anyone who knows what you think
you might be on about.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

Graham Holloway wrote

The differences you describe are down to the material used, not
the shape. If you use GOSS in an E core it will show sharp
saturation characteristics.

No, for several reasons. A toroid is made from a single piece of
iron, the grain orientation is consistently in the direction of the
field...no corners and no arms at 90 degrees...and all the iron is
within the windings so the field strength is more constant
throughout. It is this consistency which gives it the sharp
saturation.

cheers, Ian

The resulting high µ of the coil of GOSS means that
the inductance of the primary is very high compared to
ordinary non oriented SiFe which will have a µ of tyipically
1/10 of that of the GOSS toroidal core.

Therefore as long as the B max is lower than levels at saturation
there is a lower magnetizing current with with less distortion harmonics
with a toroid
than with a E&I lam core.

In practice many tranny winders I have known place the Bmax at 1.3Tesla,

and when the tranny is connected to a class A amp drawing some current
in a rectifier circuit the darn tranny is mechanically noisy, even
though that without a load the
input primary current is negligible; ie, the iron losses are very low.

I will use a Bmax of below 1Tesla which I find is a sre way to keep the
tranny quiet
despite the slight extra winding losses.

With preamps and old non oriented E&I iron I often use B = 0.9T,
and although the design is a little heavier than the modern trannies the

tranny runs as cool as a cucumber and noiselesly.

And yes, DC bias swings in an audio PP tranny can make saturation
problems worse.
Try running full range pink noise into an amp
up until you get occasional clipping; you can hear the knocking sounds
as the high µ
material saturates, and heavy anode pulse currents flow,
causing serious IMD.
Using a CR filter at the front of the amp with a pole at
14Hz reduces the effect considerably.
Using Ccores with a slight gap or E&I with a slight gap
is another way to get the PP tranny to be
far more resiliant to saturation effects at high levels.

Patrick Turner.

..

ir

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

If you read RDH4, you'd see where they say saturation is a voltage
related phenomena,
and sure there is a magnetizing current in a tranny, whether loaded or
not,
and that current is due to voltage applied across an inductance.
but once that voltage exceeds a threshold the steel saturates, and the
coil becomesa short circuit when the steels field cannot continue to
oppose the current flow of the current from the applied voltage.
The very field in an inductor opposes the current flow...

If you think of it as a load resistance in parallel with an
iron-cored inductor with a given core and number of windings, it is
the current through the inductor that produces the magnetic field,
hence too much current leads to saturation.

The too-much-current occurs after a voltage threshold hold has been
reached.

Patrick Turner.

This agrees perfectly with Jerry's point, that the load can be
ignored...easily done by testing with no load.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

[...]

I don't know whether you have ever examined the current wave forms in a
tranny
hooked up to a variac.
But its not very linear with applied voltage; and becomes
very non linear at the onset of saturation when the Bmax of around
1.5tesla
is reached.

Anyway, by examining the current wave form, and its phase relationship
and the distortion one gets some idea of what is happening in a typical
tranny.
Placing 4.7kohms in series between the low Z of the variac
drmatically increases the source impedance and the distortion
dramatically increases.
GOSS in the form of a toroid minimises the Dn, but it is informative to
do the experiments to really
see what goes on.

A dual trace CRO is almost essential to see the phase relationships.

Patrick Turner.

Ian Iveson

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

The laws of physics won't change if I read RDH. Of course current is
related to voltage...look up Ohm's Law.

and sure there is a magnetizing current in a tranny, whether
loaded or
not,
and that current is due to voltage applied across an inductance.
but once that voltage exceeds a threshold the steel saturates,

Rubbish. Only true at a particular frequency. You must know better
than this, so I take it you are squirming, as usual.

and the coil becomes a short circuit when the steels field cannot
continue to
oppose the current flow of the current from the applied voltage.

No. Some time ago I pointed out an error in RDH. Perhaps you ignored
me and failed to amend the diagram? The inductance does not plummet
as depicted, but actually trails off more gradually as current
increases.

The situation is exacerbated by what you, with your crazy notion of
feedback, would call positive current feedback: as current
increases, reactance falls, so current increases further, etcetera.
But, so considered, the feedback is less than unity so the result is
finite...whereas with a short it would be infinite. In fact an
equilibrium is reached for any given current, and reactance does not
disappear as quickly as you think, or as RDH shows.

Of course there is also primary resistance, which remains
unaffected, so that is two reasons why the coil does *not* become a
short.

Further, you may notice that a saturated transformer gets hot. A
short dissipates no power (only current, no voltage drop), so where
do you think the heat is coming from?

The very field in an inductor opposes the current flow...

If you think of it as a load resistance in parallel with an
iron-cored inductor with a given core and number of windings, it
is
the current through the inductor that produces the magnetic
field,
hence too much current leads to saturation.

The too-much-current occurs after a voltage threshold hold has
been
reached.

Only at a particular frequency (sigh...). Do you remember any school
maths? Remember the common questions that ask you to reduce an
equation to its simplest form? Why was that an important skill to
learn? Because it allows you to see the essential relationship
without the complications of mathematical clutter and particular
circumstance.

In this case you would substitute voltage and frequency for current,
and end up with a very simple formula. That would improve your basic
grasp of the relationship, which would be true for *all cases*.

Armed with this fundamental understanding, you can quite easily
derive whatever practical formula you wish, depending on the
particular problem you are addressing. If you are interested in
frequency and voltage, then you can derive the formula you gave from
RDH.

Fundamental understanding is, in other words, transferable. Without
it, particular knowledge is just empty fact. That's why you have to
keep reading the book...you lack the conceptual framework to
construct your own thoughts.

If you know the core, and how many turns on the windings, and how
much current through each, you are home and dry. The only reason you
need to drag voltage and frequency in is in order to calculate the
current.

You won't see what I mean, and neither will Phil. Oh well.

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

Patrick Turner wrote

Iron cored inductors are designed to behave linearly up to some
current figure - no such thing applies to AC supply
transformer
primaries.

Er...what babble is this? Hands up anyone who knows what you
think
you might be on about.

I don't know whether you have ever examined the current wave forms
in a
tranny
hooked up to a variac.

Yes. Also my transformer model, which behaves the same.

But its not very linear with applied voltage; and becomes
very non linear at the onset of saturation when the Bmax of around
1.5tesla
is reached.

Depending on the core material. The best definition of saturation I
have seen places it at the point where the peak of the current
waveform is double that of the underlying sine wave. Yes it is
arbitrary but, without some defined point, expressions such as
"saturating" and "approaching saturation" are far too vague for
meaningful discussion.

Anyway, by examining the current wave form, and its phase
relationship
and the distortion one gets some idea of what is happening in a
typical
tranny.
Placing 4.7kohms in series between the low Z of the variac
drmatically increases the source impedance and the distortion
dramatically increases.
GOSS in the form of a toroid minimises the Dn, but it is
informative to
do the experiments to really
see what goes on.

Perhaps you might try it then. You would discover that the primary
never becomes a short, for example.

A dual trace CRO is almost essential to see the phase
relationships.

No kidding?

Was that a hands up? Er...is this what you meant, Phil?

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson" = Autistic ****wit

** It is of no interest to transformer users to know what the saturation
current level is unless the applied voltage and frequency is specified.
Since Imag always increases with increasing applied voltage, that is the
practical way to view t - especially when the transformer is intended
for connection to the AC supply.

Rubbish. And how would you know what is of interest to any transformer
user other than yourself. Where did I say transformer users *are*
interested? And what is the rest of the paragraph for...are you arguing
with yourself? What about?

** What a load of mentally retarded drivel.

I am a transformer user, and I am interested in saturation current.

And what's it got to do with "No" anyway...

** Ian has a reading disability.

All autistics do.

Saturation is non-linear behaviour, it cannot be analysed from a model
that treats the primary as a simple inductor.

No kidding? Who said anything about a simple inductor? But it can be
usefully envisaged as an iron-cored inductor (which it is...you can't hope
to be taken seriously if you don't know a transformer is an inductor,
clot) in parallel with the reflected secondary load.

** Wrong.

The inductance of a transformer primary is not a defined value like a
purpose made inductor - it varies widely with applied voltage and through
a single cycle.

Iron cored inductors are designed to behave linearly up to some current
figure - no such thing applies to AC supply transformer primaries.

Er...what babble is this?

** So you know as little about inductors as you do transformers.

Never noticed that iron and ferrite cored inductors have max peak current
figures ?

Just a simple number in amps above which core saturation spoils its
usefulness as an inductor.

......... Phil

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

If you are not into reading RDH, then i suggest many other books may
provide a
better source of info than I have tendered to the group so far.

But we are dealing with the non linear behaviour of transformer iron....

and sure there is a magnetizing current in a tranny, whether
loaded or
not,
and that current is due to voltage applied across an inductance.
but once that voltage exceeds a threshold the steel saturates,

Rubbish. Only true at a particular frequency. You must know better
than this, so I take it you are squirming, as usual.

Well look at the formula I quoted above from my website.
Its the well known *transfromer equation* that relates the
applied voltage, frequency, Bmax, number of turns and the core section
area.

I am not squirming after having desinged and wound dozens of very fine
power and output transformers.

and the coil becomes a short circuit when the steels field cannot
continue to
oppose the current flow of the current from the applied voltage.

No. Some time ago I pointed out an error in RDH. Perhaps you ignored
me and failed to amend the diagram? The inductance does not plummet
as depicted, but actually trails off more gradually as current
increases.

If you examined the current wave form as V across a winding is
increased,
you will find there is a sudden increase in the 3H after what is called
the saturation
phenomena.
The iron appears to have magnetic store of energy to oppose the AC flow
for *parts* of the cycle, ie, the top and bottom part of the wave, so we
see
large current *spikes* where the coil acts as if it has become a short
circuit
for part of the cycle.
But for other parts of the cycle around the zero crossing region the
iron energy is providing
some oposition to the flow of current in the wire.

If you looked, you would know.

The situation is exacerbated by what you, with your crazy notion of
feedback, would call positive current feedback: as current
increases, reactance falls, so current increases further, etcetera.

There is no crazy notion of FB.

Electro magnetics isn't easy to understand.

But why does not a large current flow when you apply
a voltage across a coil?
The magnetic field the applied voltage sets up opposes the flow.

But, so considered, the feedback is less than unity so the result is
finite...whereas with a short it would be infinite. In fact an
equilibrium is reached for any given current, and reactance does not
disappear as quickly as you think, or as RDH shows.

I didn't say the L dissapears once a threshold has been reached; but it
is as if
there is a sudden large reduction fall in inductance at saturation.

Of course there is also primary resistance, which remains
unaffected, so that is two reasons why the coil does *not* become a
short.

Well when the inductance ceases to oppose the flow during the wave
cycles due to
saturation, the applied voltage to the primary tends to be a short
circuit current, ie,
the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Further, you may notice that a saturated transformer gets hot. A
short dissipates no power (only current, no voltage drop), so where
do you think the heat is coming from?

Two things, core losses, and copper losses.

The very field in an inductor opposes the current flow...

If you think of it as a load resistance in parallel with an
iron-cored inductor with a given core and number of windings, it
is
the current through the inductor that produces the magnetic
field,
hence too much current leads to saturation.

The too-much-current occurs after a voltage threshold hold has
been
reached.

Only at a particular frequency (sigh...). Do you remember any school
maths?

See my formula.

Seems to me my maths are better than yours.

Remember the common questions that ask you to reduce an
equation to its simplest form? Why was that an important skill to
learn? Because it allows you to see the essential relationship
without the complications of mathematical clutter and particular
circumstance.

The transformer equation is the simplest way to relate the design
parameters of a transformer.

In this case you would substitute voltage and frequency for current,
and end up with a very simple formula. That would improve your basic
grasp of the relationship, which would be true for *all cases*.

Armed with this fundamental understanding, you can quite easily
derive whatever practical formula you wish, depending on the
particular problem you are addressing. If you are interested in
frequency and voltage, then you can derive the formula you gave from
RDH.

I did derive my formula from what is in RDH4 and a few other old books
that explain everything.
Often their explanations are totally incomprehensible.
Electro Magnetics was designed by the schitzoprenic brother of the
God Of Triodes, and this dude made the use of iron, wire, and volts
to be as confusing as possible.

Fundamental understanding is, in other words, transferable. Without
it, particular knowledge is just empty fact. That's why you have to
keep reading the book...you lack the conceptual framework to
construct your own thoughts.

If you know the core, and how many turns on the windings, and how
much current through each, you are home and dry. The only reason you
need to drag voltage and frequency in is in order to calculate the
current.

You won't see what I mean, and neither will Phil. Oh well.

I do wind much better transformers than I can buy from anyone.

My conceptual understanding levels are good enough.

Phil knows more about it than you do, and he can explain it when he
isn't
acting like a complete fukken idiot.

Patrick Turner.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote

Iron cored inductors are designed to behave linearly up to some
current figure - no such thing applies to AC supply
transformer
primaries.

Er...what babble is this? Hands up anyone who knows what you
think
you might be on about.

I don't know whether you have ever examined the current wave forms
in a
tranny
hooked up to a variac.

Yes. Also my transformer model, which behaves the same.

So you have not used a CRO and an old tranny.

But its not very linear with applied voltage; and becomes
very non linear at the onset of saturation when the Bmax of around
1.5tesla
is reached.

Depending on the core material. The best definition of saturation I
have seen places it at the point where the peak of the current
waveform is double that of the underlying sine wave. Yes it is
arbitrary but, without some defined point, expressions such as
"saturating" and "approaching saturation" are far too vague for
meaningful discussion.

Well, most tranny iron be it NOSS or GOSS saturates
with such suddenness it is a definite indicator of when saturation can
be deemed to have begun.

Anyway, by examining the current wave form, and its phase
relationship
and the distortion one gets some idea of what is happening in a
typical
tranny.
Placing 4.7kohms in series between the low Z of the variac
drmatically increases the source impedance and the distortion
dramatically increases.
GOSS in the form of a toroid minimises the Dn, but it is
informative to
do the experiments to really
see what goes on.

Perhaps you might try it then. You would discover that the primary
never becomes a short, for example.

See my other post.

A dual trace CRO is almost essential to see the phase
relationships.

No kidding?

?

Patrick Turner.

Was that a hands up? Er...is this what you meant, Phil?

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

I dare say. Perhaps you could read one over the weekend.

[...]

So you say, incessantly. Not one of your claimed customers has ever
endorsed any one of your claimed products, and I am not surprised.
You spend a lot of fools' money pretending to do what many
manufacturers of excellent reputation do for a fraction of the
price.

and the coil becomes a short circuit when the steels field
cannot
continue to
oppose the current flow of the current from the applied
voltage.

No. Some time ago I pointed out an error in RDH. Perhaps you
ignored
me and failed to amend the diagram? The inductance does not
plummet
as depicted, but actually trails off more gradually as current
increases.

If you examined the current wave form as V across a winding is
increased,

Blah de blah...obfuscation again. Wriggle, squirm.

you will find there is a sudden increase in the 3H after what is
called
the saturation
phenomena.

Wriggle, squirm. The singular of phenomena is phenomenon, but better
to avoid the wriggling, squirming obfuscation and just call it
saturation. Once you arrive back on earth you may realise that it is
necessary to define an arbitrary point in the process you describe
at which you say the iron is saturated. It is not sudden like a
switch. Look it up, but not in RDH because the diagram is wrong. Or
perhaps it would help to look at the RDH diagram and try and see
*why* it is in error. As I have said several times, the best
definition I have seen is the point at which the current spike is
double the magnitude of the underlying current waveform. A more
useful definition could be a particular proportion of distortion.

The iron appears to have magnetic store of energy to oppose the AC
flow
for *parts* of the cycle, ie, the top and bottom part of the wave,
so we
see
large current *spikes* where the coil acts as if it has become a
short
circuit
for part of the cycle.

No. Once again, it is not a short circuit, ever. It is never a short
circuit. Since you are the one claiming to do loads of real
measurements, perhaps you could say when you measured this short
circuit?

But for other parts of the cycle around the zero crossing region
the
iron energy is providing
some oposition to the flow of current in the wire.

If you looked, you would know.

Before I knew, I did look. But looking is not knowing, as you
clearly demonstrate.

The situation is exacerbated by what you, with your crazy notion
of
feedback, would call positive current feedback: as current
increases, reactance falls, so current increases further,
etcetera.

There is no crazy notion of FB.

Give you half a chance and you will invent one. Don't you see the
parallel with your hopeless notion of triode "internal feedback"?

Electro magnetics isn't easy to understand.

It would help if you found out about algebra.

But why does not a large current flow when you apply
a voltage across a coil?

Er, it might, or might not, depending on the time, the resistance
and the reactance.

The magnetic field the applied voltage sets up opposes the flow.

No. The current sets up the magnetic field. Otherwise you wouldn't
get the phase difference, clot.

The changing magnetic field produces an opposing voltage, which
opposes the applied voltage (not the current, which I suppose you
mean by "flow"). The residual voltage drives the current through the
winding resistance.

In the case of a transformer, the current in the secondary produces
a field opposing that produced by the primary. The residual field
is, more or less, the same as that produced by the primary alone
when the secondary is open circuit. Hence the transformer can be
modelled by a resistance in parallel with an inductor made up of
just the primary and the core.

Such a model is generally accepted, and can be useful even up to the
frequencies used for SMPS, where matters become more complicated
because of core losses and skin effect. For the kind of frequencies
and waveforms we are talking about, it is hardly a black art

But, so considered, the feedback is less than unity so the result
is
finite...whereas with a short it would be infinite. In fact an
equilibrium is reached for any given current, and reactance does
not
disappear as quickly as you think, or as RDH shows.

I didn't say the L dissapears once a threshold has been reached;
but it
is as if
there is a sudden large reduction fall in inductance at
saturation.

You said ***"short circuit"***. That is the point you are defending.
A sudden fall, a large fall...neither of these is a short circuit. A
short circuit is somewhere close to zero ohms. The effect you are
trying to describe is not a short. The impedance falls quite
quickly, the current rises quite rapidly, reaching by my adopted
definition twice the instantaneous value which would flow if the
iron remained magnetically linear.

Of course there is also primary resistance, which remains
unaffected, so that is two reasons why the coil does *not* become
short.

Well when the inductance ceases to oppose the flow during the wave
cycles due to
saturation, the applied voltage to the primary tends to be a short
circuit current, ie,
the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Squirm, wriggle, obfuscate. Let's just unpick it this time shall we?
What is this "DCR" you have thrown in...like the "saturation
phenomena (sic)" we saw before. It is a characteristic of your
squirming obfuscation that you try to blind people with pathetic
grandiose attempts at jargon.

You mean resistance, don't you? By "DCR" you just mean resistance,
yes? Resistance at DC? Have I worked it out correctly?

As opposed to ACR perhaps? Do you perceive a difference between ACR
and DCR? Perhaps it would help if you were to realise that it is a
defining characteristic of resistance that it is the same for AC and
DC? Surely if you pretend to make good transformers, you must also
pretend to know the difference between resistance and reactance?

So really you just mean resistance. Why then did you call it DCR?
What is the purpose of this wriggling, squirming obfuscation?

Because you just said that a resistance is regarded as a short
circuit. By who, I wonder. You alone, in all the world, sadly.

Let's look at that again...

the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Did you really say that? Look, you even underscored the "is".
Crikey. Worth another look...

the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Should I bother any further with a conman who thinks that a
resistance is a short circuit?

And, what is more, it doesn't only see the resistance. It also sees,
for much of the time, the full inductance of the transformer and,
for that portion of the time when saturation occurs, it also sees a
considerable remaining contribution to the inductance by the core,
plus it sees the inductance of the windings as if there were no iron
there at all. In addition, the apparent resistance it sees in the
winding is modified by the core losses.

Not a short then, is it?

Further, you may notice that a saturated transformer gets hot. A
short dissipates no power (only current, no voltage drop), so
where
do you think the heat is coming from?

Two things, core losses, and copper losses.

And how would they happen if the primary appears as a short? You
haven't seen my point at all as usual. Can't have losses without
power, can't have power without voltage, can't have voltage if it's
a short. No matter how much I suggest it, you still haven't looked
up Ohm's law.

The very field in an inductor opposes the current flow...

If you think of it as a load resistance in parallel with an
iron-cored inductor with a given core and number of windings,
it
is
the current through the inductor that produces the magnetic
field,
hence too much current leads to saturation.

The too-much-current occurs after a voltage threshold hold has
been
reached.

Only at a particular frequency (sigh...). Do you remember any
school
maths?

See my formula.

The one you got from RDH? Don't need to, it was burned into my brain
aged about 13.

Seems to me my maths are better than yours.

I can see how it seems like that to you.

Remember the common questions that ask you to reduce an
equation to its simplest form? Why was that an important skill to
learn? Because it allows you to see the essential relationship
without the complications of mathematical clutter and particular
circumstance.

The transformer equation is the simplest way to relate the design
parameters of a transformer.

Maybe so, depending on what you are designing for. But the thread is
not about how to design a transformer, but rather how to understand
how transformers saturate. But you won't have noticed that in your
rush to con another fool out of his money.

In this case you would substitute voltage and frequency for
current,
and end up with a very simple formula. That would improve your
basic
grasp of the relationship, which would be true for *all cases*.

Armed with this fundamental understanding, you can quite easily
derive whatever practical formula you wish, depending on the
particular problem you are addressing. If you are interested in
frequency and voltage, then you can derive the formula you gave
from
RDH.

I did derive my formula from what is in RDH4 and a few other old
books
that explain everything.

You derived your formula? You mean you copied it from one of the
zillion places it appears.

Often their explanations are totally incomprehensible.
Electro Magnetics was designed by the schitzoprenic brother of the
God Of Triodes, and this dude made the use of iron, wire, and
volts
to be as confusing as possible.

I can see your problem...

Fundamental understanding is, in other words, transferable.
Without
it, particular knowledge is just empty fact. That's why you have
keep reading the book...you lack the conceptual framework to
construct your own thoughts.

If you know the core, and how many turns on the windings, and how
much current through each, you are home and dry. The only reason
you
need to drag voltage and frequency in is in order to calculate
the
current.

You won't see what I mean, and neither will Phil. Oh well.

I do wind much better transformers than I can buy from anyone.

So you keep saying, but no-one who has bought one agrees. How would
you know anyway? You don't test them properly. You don't even know
Ohm's law.

My conceptual understanding levels are good enough.

For conning fools out of their money, perhaps.

Phil knows more about it than you do, and he can explain it when
he
isn't
acting like a complete fukken idiot.

Then check the last statement of his last post to me, where he
finally admits to some approximation to the truth about current.

My estimation is that he actually knows less than you, if that is
any comfort. But he has had enough failed education to fake a
different level of smartness.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

So you say, incessantly. Not one of your claimed customers has ever
endorsed any one of your claimed products, and I am not surprised.
You spend a lot of fools' money pretending to do what many
manufacturers of excellent reputation do for a fraction of the
price.

I make a living doing repairs, restorations, building complte new amps.

I have nothing I want to prove to a disbelieving person like yourself.

But I did wind ALL the trannies and chokes in the items at my website.

None of my customers would be seen dead posting here.

[...]

You have not proven the RDH to be in error.

And you make silly comments about squirming and obfuscation,
but I leave YOU to get off your arse and go and observe something.

As I have said several times, the best
definition I have seen is the point at which the current spike is
double the magnitude of the underlying current waveform. A more
useful definition could be a particular proportion of distortion.

Depends on the core material.

Some say its when the 3H in the current wave exceeds 12% when the tranny
is fed from a
low Z source like the mains.

But you look, and you decide.

The iron appears to have magnetic store of energy to oppose the AC
flow
for *parts* of the cycle, ie, the top and bottom part of the wave,
so we
see
large current *spikes* where the coil acts as if it has become a
short
circuit
for part of the cycle.

No. Once again, it is not a short circuit, ever. It is never a short
circuit.

When the mains voltage can appear across the DCR of the winding wire of
the
primary for all or part of the wave cycle, it is considered that a
continuous or
part time short circuit condition.

So take you silly idea of never to some other group which
understands never.

Since you are the one claiming to do loads of real
measurements, perhaps you could say when you measured this short
circuit?

Do your own observations, don't rely on me.

But for other parts of the cycle around the zero crossing region
the
iron energy is providing
some oposition to the flow of current in the wire.

If you looked, you would know.

Before I knew, I did look. But looking is not knowing, as you
clearly demonstrate.

You refuse to look enough.

The situation is exacerbated by what you, with your crazy notion
of
feedback, would call positive current feedback: as current
increases, reactance falls, so current increases further,
etcetera.

There is no crazy notion of FB.

Give you half a chance and you will invent one. Don't you see the
parallel with your hopeless notion of triode "internal feedback"?

You are a real dumb brute of a fool if you cannot understand the NFB in
a triode.
Its been explained a thousand times here, but Professor Child had much
more
precise descriptions of it in T.E.Terman's Radio Engineering book of
1937.

I suggest you read a little more before saying leading professors of
radio
engineering got it all wrong.

Electro magnetics isn't easy to understand.

It would help if you found out about algebra.

I know enough algebra.

But why does not a large current flow when you apply
a voltage across a coil?

Er, it might, or might not, depending on the time, the resistance
and the reactance.

The magnetic field the applied voltage sets up opposes the flow.

No. The current sets up the magnetic field. Otherwise you wouldn't
get the phase difference, clot.

There is a tiny magnetizing current in the no load condition
of most toroidal trannies.

The oppsition to the current flow is due to the high inductance of the
coil.
Ditto in an OPT, where at 1kHz, almost no current flow occurs at all
without a load.

The changing magnetic field produces an opposing voltage, which
opposes the applied voltage (not the current, which I suppose you
mean by "flow"). The residual voltage drives the current through the
winding resistance.

I see you don't design and build any trannies.

In the case of a transformer, the current in the secondary produces
a field opposing that produced by the primary. The residual field
is, more or less, the same as that produced by the primary alone
when the secondary is open circuit. Hence the transformer can be
modelled by a resistance in parallel with an inductor made up of
just the primary and the core.

Such a model is generally accepted, and can be useful even up to the
frequencies used for SMPS, where matters become more complicated
because of core losses and skin effect. For the kind of frequencies
and waveforms we are talking about, it is hardly a black art

Well since you know all about the black art of winding trannies,
go to it, no need to discuss anything with me.

But, so considered, the feedback is less than unity so the result
is
finite...whereas with a short it would be infinite. In fact an
equilibrium is reached for any given current, and reactance does
not
disappear as quickly as you think, or as RDH shows.

I didn't say the L dissapears once a threshold has been reached;
but it
is as if
there is a sudden large reduction fall in inductance at
saturation.

You said ***"short circuit"***. That is the point you are defending.
A sudden fall, a large fall...neither of these is a short circuit. A
short circuit is somewhere close to zero ohms.

See above.

The effect you are
trying to describe is not a short. The impedance falls quite
quickly, the current rises quite rapidly, reaching by my adopted
definition twice the instantaneous value which would flow if the
iron remained magnetically linear.

Go observe a few trannies to examine the saturation behaviour before
spouting
all this stuff as if you really know.

[...]

DCR is the measured DC resistance of the copper wire in a coil.

Because you just said that a resistance is regarded as a short
circuit. By who, I wonder. You alone, in all the world, sadly.

Let's look at that again...

the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Did you really say that? Look, you even underscored the "is".
Crikey. Worth another look...

the mains applied voltage sees only the DCR of the primary.
This situation *is* regarded as a short circuit.

Should I bother any further with a conman who thinks that a
resistance is a short circuit?

You fail dramatically yo understand one point all engineers agree upon.

Say a primary winding has a DCR = 40 ohms.
When the magnetic field collapses during part of the waveform due to
saturation,
ie the iron can no longer be increasingly magnetised to oppose the flow
of magnetizing current,
then the 240V of the mains sees the 40ohms of the DCR and a 6A flow
of AC current can flow during the saturation.

This is enough to blow fuses or melt down a tranny, cause loud hum, and
generally be a PITA.

Its SO obvious you know **** All about trannies, or you would have
explored this effect.

And, what is more, it doesn't only see the resistance. It also sees,
for much of the time, the full inductance of the transformer and,
for that portion of the time when saturation occurs, it also sees a
considerable remaining contribution to the inductance by the core,
plus it sees the inductance of the windings as if there were no iron
there at all. In addition, the apparent resistance it sees in the
winding is modified by the core losses.

Not a short then, is it?

The reactance during the saturation events drops to negligible levels.

Hence engineers call the sharp saturation current peaks that more easily
occurs in high µ material like the
GOSS coil of a toroidal tranny short circuits; the long circuit is the
one where there
is substantial inductance to always provide a high reactance to oppose a
high current flow.

Further, you may notice that a saturated transformer gets hot. A
short dissipates no power (only current, no voltage drop), so
where
do you think the heat is coming from?

Two things, core losses, and copper losses.

And how would they happen if the primary appears as a short?

Watts = I squared x R; so if the saturation currents are high,
then the power dissipated in heat are high.

You
haven't seen my point at all as usual. Can't have losses without
power, can't have power without voltage, can't have voltage if it's
a short. No matter how much I suggest it, you still haven't looked
up Ohm's law.

I use Ohm's Law every day, and have considered it all along in this
discussion.

[...]

Well make up your mind, either my formula is right or wrong.

Remember the common questions that ask you to reduce an
equation to its simplest form? Why was that an important skill to
learn? Because it allows you to see the essential relationship
without the complications of mathematical clutter and particular
circumstance.

The transformer equation is the simplest way to relate the design
parameters of a transformer.

Maybe so, depending on what you are designing for. But the thread is
not about how to design a transformer, but rather how to understand
how transformers saturate. But you won't have noticed that in your
rush to con another fool out of his money.

Only a true desperate ****WIT like yourself would, after the last 4
years of
discussions and refusals to ever do some real practical electronic
engineering
observations, make a statement to link me being a conman to
whether or not I understand magnetic behaviour.

get back to me when you have done the hard yards of observations of what
happens.
Or else STFU.

In this case you would substitute voltage and frequency for
current,
and end up with a very simple formula. That would improve your
basic
grasp of the relationship, which would be true for *all cases*.

Armed with this fundamental understanding, you can quite easily
derive whatever practical formula you wish, depending on the
particular problem you are addressing. If you are interested in
frequency and voltage, then you can derive the formula you gave
from
RDH.

I did derive my formula from what is in RDH4 and a few other old
books
that explain everything.

You derived your formula? You mean you copied it from one of the
zillion places it appears.

I didn't invent the standard tranny equation. Loftier minds than I did
Mine works for metric measurements, valid for me since I live in Oz
which
has metric measurements.
Using some imperial version would give you identical results as
spelled out in the examples in RDH4.

[...]

Again you spit at someone who really knows a shirtload more than you.

My conceptual understanding levels are good enough.

For conning fools out of their money, perhaps.

Again you show you've lost the argument.

Phil knows more about it than you do, and he can explain it when
he
isn't
acting like a complete fukken idiot.

Then check the last statement of his last post to me, where he
finally admits to some approximation to the truth about current.

My estimation is that he actually knows less than you, if that is
any comfort. But he has had enough failed education to fake a
different level of smartness.

Phil knows a truckload more than you do despite whatever
formal education he may/may not have sustained.

He finds it distressingly tedious to deal with your arguments
which are never backed up witjh any real observations or practical
experiences.

That's why he calls you all the names under the sun.
He sees you as a dumb cluck who rabbits on and on
but there is SFA to be learnt.

Its not very nice to be rude, but Phil can't help it when you provoke
it.

But next time you have a spare sunday, take a couple of trannies and a
variac
and explore the current flow in the unloaded condition.

You can do this using a 110V winding, and watch how the reactance
falls as Vin rises, and how inductance falls dramatically once you raise
the
Vin past 120V. be careful not to burn out the variac.

Patrick Turner.

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

Patrick Turner wrote more obfuscating and abusive babble.

Nothing there worth replying to because, as ever, you fail to
respond to the key points and when your squirming gets abusive I
can't be bothered. Wish I could say you might understand some day
but it's too late. If your fire was ever lit it went out some time
ago.

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental
picture of how a transformer works, the model of a load resistance
in parallel with a saturatable inductor explains nearly everything
they need to know.

Bob, load current doesn't saturate the core because it is in
parallel with the inductance.

Bob, you can see why saturation depends on frequency and voltage
across the inductance, because they determine the current through
the inductor, and it is this current, not that through the load,
which can cause saturation.

It is useful for all transformers, and highlights the importance of
primary inductance and impedance matching in audio transformers...it
allows you to easily calculate the lower bandwidth limit. Add the
leakage inductance in series with the resistance, and capacitance
across it, and you have a complete enough picture for most audio
purposes. Basically, it gives you a simple filter circuit.

Oh, and Bob, don't get confused with the idea that voltage causes a
magnetic field in transformers. They aren't that mysterious.
Everyone...you learned that current causes a magnetic field, right?
Don't worry, it's true.

cheers, Ian

Bob

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:24:50 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote more obfuscating and abusive babble.

Nothing there worth replying to because, as ever, you fail to
respond to the key points and when your squirming gets abusive I
can't be bothered. Wish I could say you might understand some day
but it's too late. If your fire was ever lit it went out some time
ago.

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental
picture of how a transformer works, the model of a load resistance
in parallel with a saturatable inductor explains nearly everything
they need to know.

Bob, load current doesn't saturate the core because it is in
parallel with the inductance.

I don't understand that...

Bob, you can see why saturation depends on frequency and voltage
across the inductance, because they determine the current through
the inductor, and it is this current, not that through the load,
which can cause saturation.

As far as I know, (stop me if I'm wrong ), the primary inductance resists the
applied voltage, and a steady state emerges where the only current that flows is
due to the losses in the copper and the eddy current, and the leakage
inductance. Power loss results from the in-phase loss in the R of the circuit.

An increase of primary voltage entails an increase of current flow and an
increase of 'back EMF' which matches this increase. Power loss goes up due to
copper loss.

Extraction of current from the secondary creates another field, which opposes
the input field, so an increase of current in the primary is required to match
it. This is seen as a decrease in L in the primary. Also it shows that the
secondary load is 'reflected' to the primary coil. The increased current all
around creates more copper and iron losses.

Because the core is iron, it can saturate when the flux goes beyond a certain
level. The saturation means that the created field in the primary CAN'T
INCREASE! Therefore, any increase in current can't create an out of phase
condition, so at that point the L is virtually gone, and no increase of voltage
can reflect to the secondary winding. This is a part-cycle phenomenon, and
shows up as clipped waveforms.

Gotta go do some lab work now!

It is useful for all transformers, and highlights the importance of
primary inductance and impedance matching in audio transformers...it
allows you to easily calculate the lower bandwidth limit. Add the
leakage inductance in series with the resistance, and capacitance
across it, and you have a complete enough picture for most audio
purposes. Basically, it gives you a simple filter circuit.

Oh, and Bob, don't get confused with the idea that voltage causes a
magnetic field in transformers. They aren't that mysterious.
Everyone...you learned that current causes a magnetic field, right?
Don't worry, it's true.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"

Patrick Turner wrote more obfuscating and abusive babble.

** Right - so dogs bark and cats go meow .......

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental picture
of how a transformer works, the model of a load resistance in parallel
with a saturatable inductor explains nearly everything they need to know.

** It leaves a very great deal out.

Eg - it cannot explain this.

" I have a 30 VA rated toroidal, as used in a small pro-audio product:

1. With a AC supply of 125 volts and no load it draws 270mA rms.

2. With a 15 watt resistive load the AC draw DROPS to 160mA rms !!!! "

If a power transformer was said to saturate at 100mA peak primary current -
what do you then know ?

Do you know what power rating is ?

Do you know what voltage the primary is rated for ?

Do you know what frequency the primary can accept at rated voltage ?

Nope - not one of them, not even approximately.

........... Phil

Pooh Bear

Bob wrote:

As far as I know, (stop me if I'm wrong ), the primary inductance resists the
applied voltage,

I don't really like the use of the word 'resits' to be honest.

and a steady state emerges where the only current that flows is
due to the losses in the copper and the eddy current, and the leakage
inductance. Power loss results from the in-phase loss in the R of the circuit.

You've forgotten the losses of the magnetic material itself. It takes work to run it
up and down the B-H curve.

An increase of primary voltage entails an increase of current flow and an
increase of 'back EMF' which matches this increase. Power loss goes up due to
copper loss.

Extraction of current from the secondary creates another field, which opposes
the input field, so an increase of current in the primary is required to match
it. This is seen as a decrease in L in the primary. Also it shows that the
secondary load is 'reflected' to the primary coil. The increased current all
around creates more copper and iron losses.

Should only affect copper losses. The working flux is near unaffected by load in a
decent transformer.

Graham

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote more obfuscating and abusive babble.

The trouble is that many more people have learnt from my explanations
and recommendations than yours.

Delete the rest of you post because it does not cast any light on
saturation.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote more obfuscating and abusive babble.

Nothing there worth replying to because, as ever, you fail to
respond to the key points and when your squirming gets abusive I
can't be bothered. Wish I could say you might understand some day
but it's too late. If your fire was ever lit it went out some time
ago.

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental
picture of how a transformer works, the model of a load resistance
in parallel with a saturatable inductor explains nearly everything
they need to know.

Bob, load current doesn't saturate the core because it is in
parallel with the inductance.

I don't understand that...

Nobody could.

Bob, you can see why saturation depends on frequency and voltage
across the inductance, because they determine the current through
the inductor, and it is this current, not that through the load,
which can cause saturation.

As far as I know, (stop me if I'm wrong ), the primary inductance resists the
applied voltage, and a steady state emerges where the only current that flows is
due to the losses in the copper and the eddy current, and the leakage
inductance. Power loss results from the in-phase loss in the R of the circuit.

An increase of primary voltage entails an increase of current flow and an
increase of 'back EMF' which matches this increase. Power loss goes up due to
copper loss.

But the core is also heated.
Power is lost in both the core and the copper, and good designs favour
either copper or core losses to suit the requirement.
I suggest a long read of the text books.

Extraction of current from the secondary creates another field, which opposes
the input field, so an increase of current in the primary is required to match
it. This is seen as a decrease in L in the primary. Also it shows that the
secondary load is 'reflected' to the primary coil. The increased current all
around creates more copper and iron losses.

Because the core is iron, it can saturate when the flux goes beyond a certain
level. The saturation means that the created field in the primary CAN'T
INCREASE! Therefore, any increase in current can't create an out of phase
condition, so at that point the L is virtually gone, and no increase of voltage
can reflect to the secondary winding. This is a part-cycle phenomenon, and
shows up as clipped waveforms.

Very few power trannies are run at field strength intensities where the
there is serious current wave form distortions, or saturation because of the
heavy heat/noise causing currents involved.

Gotta go do some lab work now!

Do try to read a little more.

But examining the saturation phenomena with a variac and tranny
and CRO to see how the phase angle difference between input voltage and the
winding current is essential to understand the losses, saturation and maths.

Patrick Turner.

It is useful for all transformers, and highlights the importance of
primary inductance and impedance matching in audio transformers...it
allows you to easily calculate the lower bandwidth limit. Add the
leakage inductance in series with the resistance, and capacitance
across it, and you have a complete enough picture for most audio
purposes. Basically, it gives you a simple filter circuit.

Oh, and Bob, don't get confused with the idea that voltage causes a
magnetic field in transformers. They aren't that mysterious.
Everyone...you learned that current causes a magnetic field, right?
Don't worry, it's true.

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

Bob wrote

Bob, load current doesn't saturate the core because it is in
parallel with the inductance.

I don't understand that...

LOL! :-)

It is the standard model used in circuit analysis. It is invariably
used in simulation. It is so useful because its electrical
properties are simple and, for most purposes it behaves in the same
way as a transformer to a good approximation.

Current in the secondary produces a field which cancels that of the
primary current due to the load. Since the net magnetic effect is
zero (to a reasonable approximation blah...), the inductor doesn't
see it. Hence it can be considered to be in parallel with the
reflected load resistance.

You acknowledge this yourself when you refer to "reflected load", so
for understanding you need only to consider your own account:

"...it shows that the secondary load is 'reflected' to the primary
coil."

When you consider it reflected, where do you consider it is
reflected to? To the primary, of course, where it appears in
parallel with the primary inductance. So it must be your model too.
Perhaps you couldn't see the wood for the trees.

The model works pretty well but is not perfect of course,
particularly at high frequencies.

Now, this particular debate kicked off when I suggested that a
poster take saturation into account when specifying a toroidal power
transformer. Phil jumped on me, assuming I had made the common
mistake of thinking that secondary current can lead to saturation.
That mistake is so common (and hence easy prey for a mantis like
Phil) because people tend to associate current with magnetic field,
and hence with saturation.

In order to dispel this misunderstanding, it is commonly explained
that it is primary voltage, not current, that saturates. Assuming a
particular frequency, that is a derivative truth. My concern is
that, although it may appear to contribute to understanding, it runs
counter to a true grasp of the situation, because it is current, not
voltage, that produces a field. Everyone knows that, so saying it is
voltage won't help.

Just to illustrate that point further. When the transformer is used
with the secondary open-circuit, the secondary has at normal
frequencies virtually no effect, despite the fact that it has a
voltage across it. Only when current flows does it impinge on the
magnetic circuit.

By separating the load current from the current through the
saturatable inductor, the model resolves the apparent anomaly.

Some comments on the details of your current understanding. Keep in
mind I am an amateur...no longer a professional engineer, just a
teacher.

As far as I know, (stop me if I'm wrong ), the primary inductance
resists the
applied voltage, and a steady state emerges where the only current
that flows is
due to the losses in the copper and the eddy current, and the
leakage
inductance. Power loss results from the in-phase loss in the R
of the circuit.

Seems OK so far. Careful with the leakage inductance...a perfect
inductor dissipates no power although its effect on the circuit may
effect losses in the effective resistance (in-phase V/I)

An increase of primary voltage entails an increase of current flow
and an
increase of 'back EMF' which matches this increase. Power loss
goes up due to
copper loss.

True of the inductor part of the equivalent circuit. Add the effect
of load current (to which there is no consequent "back EMF") and its
attendant primary and secondary copper losses, and we're nearly
there.

Extraction of current from the secondary creates another field,
which opposes
the input field, so an increase of current in the primary is
required to match
it.

Excellent...and when they match, the magnetic effects cancel (more
or less)...

This is seen as a decrease in L in the primary.

Hold on, not so fast.

Assuming a resistive load, it is better to see this as a decrease in
the resistance across the inductance, rather than a decrease in the
inductance. Yes you can see it as a decrease in inductance if you
like...since that could account for an increase in current, but it's
a bit like seeing the sun as going round the earth...it makes the
universe much more complicated.

Also it shows that the
secondary load is 'reflected' to the primary coil. The increased
current all
around creates more copper and iron losses.

See above, good. Watch the iron losses part though. The connection
between "current all around" (?) and iron losses is very vague by
your account. Also by mine, I must admit. That's because, with a bit
of twisting, our models will end up the same anyway, I guess.

Because the core is iron, it can saturate when the flux goes
beyond a certain
level. The saturation means that the created field in the primary
CAN'T
INCREASE! Therefore, any increase in current can't create an out
of phase
condition, so at that point the L is virtually gone, and no
increase of voltage
can reflect to the secondary winding. This is a part-cycle
phenomenon, and
shows up as clipped waveforms.

Yes, but for the hyperbole. What you need to watch out for is the
difference between the µ of the iron, and the inductance. This is
where RDH gets a key diagram wrong. I posted about this some time
ago...see below under "RDH is confused about µ" but in particular
note:

"But the right hand side of the curve is wrong by miles. µ is shown
to plummet towards zero as the gradient of the BH curve flattens
towards saturation. This would be true if µ were dB/dH, but if it is
B/H then it should drop more gradually with an asymptote along the B
axis."

So inductance falls much more gradually than perhaps you imagine.

But otherwise your comments seem fair enough to me.

cheers, Ian

***RDH is confused about µ***

The graph on page 230 (fig 5.15) doesn't fit the definition of µ
given on the same page. The authors emphasise that its value is B/H,
not dB/dH. The peak value should therefore occur at the knee of the
BH curve, from where its tangent passes through the origin. RDH has
got the peak in the right place, above the knee rather than above
the steepest part of the BH curve, which is where it would be were µ
to be dB/dH.

But the right hand side of the curve is wrong by miles. µ is shown
to plummet towards zero as the gradient of the BH curve flattens
towards saturation. This would be true if µ were dB/dH, but if it is
B/H then it should drop more gradually with an asymptote along the B
axis.

The shape of the curve shown on page 216 (fig 5.13D) fits their
definition better, but that is for AC, which is another can of
worms.

Checking several sites and books, there is no agreement on whether µ
is B/H or dB/dH.

For example, Menno van der Veen says that µ reflects the mobility of
the magnetic domains. This observation seems to favour the dynamic
definition, because at saturation there is no mobility even though
the value of µ may still be high according to the static RDH
definition. He shows a graph of inductance versus secondary voltage,
in which the inductance plummets to near zero at saturation, which
is what I would expect. He also correctly points out that µ is the
only variable in the equation for inductance for a given inductor.
Hence where the inductance falls to near-zero, so must µ.

Further, µ0 is used for the permeability of free space, and also for
initial permeability, as in the table on page 208. The unit for µ
and µ0 is also generally omitted. It does have a footnote that says
"strictly" the unit is gauss/oersted. It also states that µ0 = 1.
Actually its unit depends on what system of units you are using, as
does its value. In a table using both gauss and lines per inch, the
unit of µ should be stated.

The confusion is everywhere. It has infected various spice core
models that don't work properly. Much data is barely intelligible
because units and definitions are not clear.

Incidentally, Van der Veen, of Plitron fame, gets the formula for
inductance wrong in his book, transposing core area and magnetic
path length. I assume this is a misprint, otherwise Plitron
transformers would be very long and thin.

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

Phil Allison wrote

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental
picture of how a transformer works, the model of a load
resistance in parallel with a saturatable inductor explains
nearly everything they need to know.

** It leaves a very great deal out.

Like what? Of course the model in not perfect, but a close enough
approximation for most purposes.

Eg - it cannot explain this.

Try it...

" I have a 30 VA rated toroidal, as used in a small pro-audio
product:

OK, so have I, maybe...what's the "pro-audio product" part all
about? Dunno if I have one to hand...is it significant to your
essential argument?

1. With a AC supply of 125 volts and no load it draws 270mA rms.

2. With a 15 watt resistive load the AC draw DROPS to 160mA rms
!!!! "

What's the "!!!!" for?

The standard model does offer a possible explanation, although your
example does seem extreme. If the point of saturation is taken to be
when the current spike is double the underlying sine wave, then
considering this is only for a part of the cycle, your transformer
must be well saturated with the secondary open circuit.

Once you have an appreciable load on the secondary, the consequent
current through the winding resistance, which is in series with the
primary inductance, drops the voltage, and hence the current,
through the saturatable inductor, enough to relieve the saturation.

If a power transformer was said to saturate at 100mA peak primary
current - what do you then know ?

In combination with its inductance and a precise definition of
saturation, I could accurately predict the point at which it would
saturate.

Do you know what power rating is ?

No electrical model will tell you that because it is mostly a
thermal management problem. Given the regulation or the winding
resistances, and assuming that the power rating is for a
non-saturated condition, and given the core material, the power
dissipation in the transformer due to winding losses and most
significant core losses could be calculated. The rate of heat loss
and maximum allowable temperature would be need to be added to get a
power rating.

Do you know what voltage the primary is rated for ?

As above, and if I know where on the BH curve the design is intended
to be.

Do you know what frequency the primary can accept at rated voltage
?

As above.

Nope - not one of them, not even approximately.

Yes, nearly all, to a good degree of accuracy.

Of course information is necessary for a model to work...it would be
silly to expect otherwise. Do you have a better model?

Of course I could just use the published quoted ratings when I buy a
transformer. But as you know, they often don't tell you much of the
story either. Going back to the question of the external magnetic
field of a toroid...how often is that quoted? Never, in my
experience. So there is a need to analyse a little further, and in
that case to find out where the design places itself on the BH
curve, etc. There is a need for analysis, and hence for a model.
Once again, do you have a better one? I am not proposing anything
other than what is widely accepted.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"

Now, this particular debate kicked off when I suggested that a poster take
saturation into account when specifying a toroidal power transformer.

** This is the only comment to Bob from Ian on the issue:

" You should ensure that both transformers are adequately specified so
they don't saturate. "

Readers can see that it came with no context and is utterly ambiguous.

What is to be specified " adequately " ?

What does Bob have to look for in the maker's specs ?

Do buyers of commercial power transformers have to be vigilant lest they get
sold a unusable device?

Phil jumped on me, assuming I had made the common mistake of thinking that
secondary current can lead to saturation.

** Mind readers like Ian ought to be on stage - with rabbits emerging
from a top hats.

I suppose blowing obnoxious pongs out his arse on usenet is all the fool
can really manage.

......... Phil

Phil Allison

"Ian ****wit Iveson"

Phil Allison

For anyone else, including Bob, in need of an illuminating mental
picture of how a transformer works, the model of a load resistance in
parallel with a saturatable inductor explains nearly everything they
need to know.

** It leaves a very great deal out.

Like what?

** Read the whole post - ****hed - before asking ****wit questions.

Eg - it cannot explain this.

Try it...

** **** off - ****wit.

" I have a 30 VA rated toroidal, as used in a small pro-audio product:

OK, so have I, maybe...what's the "pro-audio product" part all about?

** The tranny really exists and is NOT a standard shelf line.

1. With a AC supply of 125 volts and no load it draws 270mA rms.

2. With a 15 watt resistive load the AC draw DROPS to 160mA rms !!!! "

What's the "!!!!" for?

** It just a ***tad surprising*** to most when the connection of a
resistive load to a power transformer results in the VA draw dropping by
nearly half and (by implication) also the heat dissipation.

( snip ****e)

If a power transformer was said to saturate at 100mA peak primary
urrent - what do you then know ?

In combination with its inductance and a precise definition of saturation,
I could accurately predict the point at which it would saturate.

** Ridiculous drivel - that point has been specified.

Do you know what power rating is ?

Do you know what voltage the primary is rated for ?

Do you know what frequency the primary can accept at rated voltage ?

Nope - not one of them, not even approximately.

Yes, nearly all, to a good degree of accuracy.

** What a cretinous, bloody LIAR !!!

.............. Phil

Ian Iveson

Daft Phil whinged:

In combination with its inductance and a precise definition of
saturation, I could accurately predict the point at which it
would saturate.

** Ridiculous drivel - that point has been specified.

Given the point in terms of current, the model can predict the point
in terms of voltage, as pointed out in the part of my explanation
you cut.

** It just a ***tad surprising*** to most when the connection
of a resistive load to a power transformer results in the VA draw
dropping by nearly half and (by implication) also the heat
dissipation.

That's why I suggest the simple standard model is adopted. Then the
truth won't be such a surprise, and the needless complication you
appear to crave will vanish.

cretinous ** What !!! LIAR a bloody,

eh?

cheers, Ian

[...]

primary urrent - what do you then know ?

Do you know what power rating is ?

Do you know what voltage the primary is rated for ?

Do you know what frequency the primary can accept at rated
voltage ?

Nope - not one of them, not even approximately.

Yes, nearly all, to a good degree of accuracy.

Phil Allison

"Ian ****wit Autistic Iveson"