Ron Griffith

Default Help with vintage installation

I have just completed a frame-off restoration on a '71 El Camino SS and am
trying to come up with a decent sound system, nothing fancy. I am not going
to cut up the new dash (has an original AM radio) or the new door panels.
Last night I installed a Pioneer 4700 MP in a universal under-dash holder.
I like it a lot but the problem is the speakers. I installed a pair of Sony
W4621 4x6 speakers and they are awful. Unfortunately the original location
for speakers (under the dash pad at each end of the dash) can only
accommodate a very shallow 4x6 speaker. Any suggestions for a better
speaker that will fit? Is there a reasonably small sub with a built-in amp
that will connect to the head unit and carry the bass, and will this keep
the speakers from clapping out?

I'm not looking for big booming sound, but I do like volume without
distortion. I also don't want to invest a lot because I won't be driving it
much. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Griffith

Matt Ion

Ron Griffith wrote:
I have just completed a frame-off restoration on a '71 El Camino SS and am
trying to come up with a decent sound system, nothing fancy. I am not going
to cut up the new dash (has an original AM radio) or the new door panels.
Last night I installed a Pioneer 4700 MP in a universal under-dash holder.
I like it a lot but the problem is the speakers. I installed a pair of Sony
W4621 4x6 speakers and they are awful. Unfortunately the original location
for speakers (under the dash pad at each end of the dash) can only
accommodate a very shallow 4x6 speaker. Any suggestions for a better
speaker that will fit? Is there a reasonably small sub with a built-in amp
that will connect to the head unit and carry the bass, and will this keep
the speakers from clapping out?

We used to put Alpine 2-way 4x6s in the dash locations of the Jeep YJs
back in the early 90s, they worked really well. Dunno if Alpine still
makes anything similar now, but it's worth a look.

Most car-stereo shops should be able to sell you a pre-built sub box/amp
setup; and there's always the Bazooka tubes.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0544-7, 11/03/2005
Tested on: 11/3/2005 6:08:56 PM

Dale Brisket

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Ron Griffith wrote:
[...]

Look seriously at the Infinity Basslink for a self-powered sub. Excellent
bass for the $$.

Tony F

"Is there a reasonably small sub with a built-in amp that will connect to
the head unit and carry the bass, and will this keep the speakers from
clapping out?

I'm not looking for big booming sound, but I do like volume without
distortion."

Is there a high-pass filter on your head unit? If you block those lower
frequencies from getting to the speakers, it will probably improve the
overall sound. If not, try getting some bass blockers to install inline
with them.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub