GregS

Default Cramolin Electrical Contact Cleaner

I scan around for various news and opinion about electronic cleaners.
I read a post about the Cramolin company on Usenet, but not sure of the status of the company.
Regardless, I found I can order Cramolin Contaclean through Newark Electronics as a Farnell part #
840026.
The stock is not big in England, but hopefully they can get more quick.

greg
]
Scott Dorsey

GregS wrote:
I scan around for various news and opinion about electronic cleaners.
I read a post about the Cramolin company on Usenet, but not sure of the status of the company.
Regardless, I found I can order Cramolin Contaclean through Newark Electronics as a Farnell part #
840026.
The stock is not big in England, but hopefully they can get more quick.

Wow.

I know it can be ordered in the US through a phone call to the guys at
cramolin.de, but the shipping costs and duties are incredibly high.
If there's any way to get it through Newark and let them deal with the
importation procedure, it might be a lot cheaper. Let us all know how
it goes!

Tiernan

Scott Dorsey wrote:
GregS wrote:

I scan around for various news and opinion about electronic cleaners.
I read a post about the Cramolin company on Usenet, but not sure of the status of the company.
Regardless, I found I can order Cramolin Contaclean through Newark Electronics as a Farnell part #
840026.
The stock is not big in England, but hopefully they can get more quick.

Wow.

I know it can be ordered in the US through a phone call to the guys at
cramolin.de, but the shipping costs and duties are incredibly high.
If there's any way to get it through Newark and let them deal with the
importation procedure, it might be a lot cheaper. Let us all know how
it goes!
--scott

I believe there are "issues" with its use in many US locales.

osha, etc
psalter

FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

I also switched to the Caig DeoxIT and ProGold products, www.caig.com .
Much easier to use, find and have many convenient applicators.
The mini spray and pens are easy to carry around. Newark carries them
and they have many international distributors. Not sure if Farnell
carries it yet - if not they should. Oh, the DeoxIT and proGold do not
leave a sticky residue. I also had that experience with Cramolin stuff
and something in it also ate away some plastic switches. So far so
good with the Deoxit stuff - been 10 years now.
...Mike

SSJVCmag

On 10/27/05 3:45 PM, in article ,
"GregS" wrote:

I scan around for various news and opinion about electronic cleaners.
I read a post about the Cramolin company on Usenet, but not sure of the status
of the company.
Regardless, I found I can order Cramolin Contaclean through Newark Electronics
as a Farnell part # 840026.
The stock is not big in England, but hopefully they can get more quick.

greg
]

CAIG ProGold G5
Www.caig.com

Scott Dorsey

Tiernan wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
GregS wrote:

I scan around for various news and opinion about electronic cleaners.
I read a post about the Cramolin company on Usenet, but not sure of the status of the company.
Regardless, I found I can order Cramolin Contaclean through Newark Electronics as a Farnell part #
840026.
The stock is not big in England, but hopefully they can get more quick.

Wow.

I know it can be ordered in the US through a phone call to the guys at
cramolin.de, but the shipping costs and duties are incredibly high.
If there's any way to get it through Newark and let them deal with the
importation procedure, it might be a lot cheaper. Let us all know how
it goes!

I believe there are "issues" with its use in many US locales.

osha, etc

According to the German MSDS, it's really just oleic acid in a solvent
with a little Sudan Red. You could probably drink it if it's a fluorocarbon
solvent.

Scott Dorsey

psalter wrote:
FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

It does leave a sticky residue. Depending on the application, this can
be a major advantage or a real problem.

Paul Stamler

"psalter" wrote in message
oups.com...
FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

Cramolin *was* made by the Caig corporation. I was told the switch to DeoxIt
and PreservIt came, not because the chemicals in Cramolin were toxic
themselves, but because the process of making it was environmentally
unfriendly.

Peace,
Paul

William Sommerwerck

FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

Uh... Cramolin is (was) made by Caig. As far as I know, their current
products are chemically similar.

GregS

In article .com, "psalter" wrote:
FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

The instructions for the current spray, call for removal with their cleaner, after
the cleaning action is over. I am most familiar with the old Cramolin
dropper bottle with the long metal rod sticking out. I don't ever
recall that gumming up. I still have and use it. That container and mix is not available.
My current can of Contaclean, is gummed up around the top area, as well as a can of
Bullfrog electrical spray. I am going to get some oleic acid and experiment around
with that. Many people clain that is the main ingeredient in Contaclean.

greg

GregS

In article , "Paul Stamler" wrote:
"psalter" wrote in message
roups.com...
FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

Cramolin *was* made by the Caig corporation. I was told the switch to DeoxIt
and PreservIt came, not because the chemicals in Cramolin were toxic
themselves, but because the process of making it was environmentally
unfriendly.

Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it. Never
was.

greg
Tom Baldwin

GregS wrote:

Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it. Never
was.

greg

The FREON was in the spray. No need for it in the dropper.

TB
GregS

In article , Tom Baldwin wrote:

GregS wrote:

Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it. Never
was.

greg

The FREON was in the spray. No need for it in the dropper.

TB

Caig proposed using freon. The deal never happened, mainly because Caig
refused to pay the increased prices of the Cramolin company product.
Cramolin ws willing, and did remove the hazardous ingredient. Caig then
went on their own. Another good thing about the Caig sprays, it seems
like they are currently using non-flamable propellant, as they decided to
use when they broke off relationships with Cramolin. However, the Cramolin Contaclean
spray bottle sprays extremly well, unlike every other spray bottle I've used. It
has a nice controlled spray. must be that German engineering.

greg
Tom Baldwin

GregS wrote:

Caig proposed using freon. The deal never happened, mainly because Caig
refused to pay the increased prices of the Cramolin company product.
Cramolin ws willing, and did remove the hazardous ingredient. Caig then
went on their own. Another good thing about the Caig sprays, it seems
like they are currently using non-flamable propellant, as they decided to
use when they broke off relationships with Cramolin. However, the Cramolin Contaclean
spray bottle sprays extremly well, unlike every other spray bottle I've used. It
has a nice controlled spray. must be that German engineering.

greg

Go here. http://store.caig.com/

Type Cramolin in the search field. Click on Cramolin Sprays. Read the
ingredients. Number 1. FREON TF.

TB

Scott Dorsey

Paul Stamler wrote:
"psalter" wrote in message
roups.com...
FWIW, The techies here stopped using Cramolin years ago claiming it
eventually left a sticky residue. Have since switched to products by
the Caig corporation. They make several sprays and lubricants.

Cramolin *was* made by the Caig corporation. I was told the switch to DeoxIt
and PreservIt came, not because the chemicals in Cramolin were toxic
themselves, but because the process of making it was environmentally
unfriendly.

Cramolin _was_ made by the Caig corporation, on license from the Cramolin
company in Germany. In Europe it was made directly by Cramolin.

After this, things get shaky. Caig says they made the switch because
the base solvents were fluorocarbons that were not allowed. Cramolin
says Caig made the switch because they didn't want to pay licensing fees.

Either way, the new Caig stuff uses different solvents, but also seems
to be oleic acid based.

GregS

GregS wrote:

Caig proposed using freon. The deal never happened, mainly because Caig
refused to pay the increased prices of the Cramolin company product.
Cramolin ws willing, and did remove the hazardous ingredient. Caig then
went on their own. Another good thing about the Caig sprays, it seems
like they are currently using non-flamable propellant, as they decided to
use when they broke off relationships with Cramolin. However, the Cramolin

Contaclean
spray bottle sprays extremly well, unlike every other spray bottle I've used.

It
has a nice controlled spray. must be that German engineering.

greg

Go here. http://store.caig.com/

Type Cramolin in the search field. Click on Cramolin Sprays. Read the
ingredients. Number 1. FREON TF.

TB

Not sure what your pointing out. It was Caig who used freon and
Dymet nonflamable. The German company used Freon and propane, still do as far as I know.
I have a bottle of R-100L. I have also tried the 100% form of DeOxit, and
like it, but I have not used it much yet. I think there is way too much Red
in the product. I suspect its just coloring material.
Why quote?....
http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm

greg
Tom Baldwin

GregS wrote:

Not sure what your pointing out. It was Caig who used freon and
Dymet nonflamable. The German company used Freon and propane, still do as far as I know.

Sorry, I mis-understood you. I thought you were saying Caig never used
FREON.

"Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it.
Never was.

greg"

That's why I said it was in the spray only and pointed out the
ingredients list from Caig documentation.

TB

Paul Stamler

"GregS" wrote in message

Cramolin *was* made by the Caig corporation. I was told the switch to

DeoxIt
and PreservIt came, not because the chemicals in Cramolin were toxic
themselves, but because the process of making it was environmentally
unfriendly.

Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it. Never
was.

Who said anything about Freon? The Caig guy said it had something to do with
production byproducts going into the river.

Peace,
Paul

GregS

"GregS" wrote in message

Cramolin *was* made by the Caig corporation. I was told the switch to

DeoxIt
and PreservIt came, not because the chemicals in Cramolin were toxic
themselves, but because the process of making it was environmentally
unfriendly.

Many people perpeptuate this misinformation about its history.
I still have my dropper bottle of Cramolin. There is NO freon in it. Never
was.

Who said anything about Freon? The Caig guy said it had something to do with
production byproducts going into the river.

Peace,
Paul

True, but
For the most part, if you search the archives, the typical thing you
will hear over and over and over is............................................

Because Cramolin contains Freon as the solvent, the manufacturer has had
to reformulate the product to avoid those claimed-to-be-evil CFCs. The
new product is DeoxIT D5.

Caig packaged it with Freon. They could have eliminated the freon. No,
the story goes they had to completely reformulate, because of the Freon.
The real story was, they chose to reformulate, because they wanted to.
They didn't want to pay for the orginal product, several times higher which also at
the time, contained some ingredient not friendly with the authorities. But
Caig didn't say the other company was willing, or was going to eliminate
that ingredient. They just separated.

Most all will say Caig made Cramolin. Completely false. They
imported it, and repackged it. Caig never had the name Cramolin in their ownership.

greg

No, I don't think so. I heard that it wasn't just the Freon, it was a
solvent/ingredient in the Cramolin - could that be a reason for the
gumming of the Cramolin over time (reason we stopped using it). My old
bottle of red had lots of dye in it also - since thrown it out. The
Deoxit seems to have a smaller amount of dye. I also heard that the
CAIG guys wanted to develop new products that worked better without
environmental issues, and from my experiences the ProGold works even
better. I only use Deoxit if the connections have lots of oxidation or
connections are out doors.
....Mike

"GregS" wrote in message

[...]

"GregS" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:
No, I don't think so. I heard that it wasn't just the Freon, it was a
solvent/ingredient in the Cramolin - could that be a reason for the
gumming of the Cramolin over time (reason we stopped using it). My old
bottle of red had lots of dye in it also - since thrown it out. The
Deoxit seems to have a smaller amount of dye. I also heard that the
CAIG guys wanted to develop new products that worked better without
environmental issues, and from my experiences the ProGold works even
better. I only use Deoxit if the connections have lots of oxidation or
connections are out doors.
....Mike

I mentioned the ingredient somewhere along the line which the German
company stopped using right
after that eppisode I had the opposite experiance. Less dye in the old
100% Cramolin, and lots of
dye in the new 100% liquid, not the 5 % DeOxit. And, the needle bottle
shows no signs of gumming.

Where I used to work we used Cramolin to protect silver contacts. We had to
ask Caig to make a special formulation for applications where the insulation
resistance had to remain above 10^18 ohms. It was blue instead of red, and
they called it Cramolin Special. Switch wafers that needed this resistance
were also special, made from a chloroflourocarbon material called Kel-F.
Maintaining high insulation resistance in the presence of high humidity is a
subject of importance in itself!

Norm Strong