izozaya

Default SE circuit for Telefunken RS237

Hello everybody!

I just happen to have a pair of good working Telefunken RS237
transmitting triodes, one is dated Nov 1936 and the other April 1937. I
was wondering what kind of SE design would be suitable. Two couples of
Hytron 801A and VT-25 are also available as drivers if needed. I have
to say that for safety reasons I feel more comfortable with plate
voltages working on the lower side.
Any brainstorming ideas will surely be very valuable.

Best regards

izozaya

Adam Stouffer

izozaya wrote:
Hello everybody!

I just happen to have a pair of good working Telefunken RS237
transmitting triodes, one is dated Nov 1936 and the other April 1937. I
was wondering what kind of SE design would be suitable. Two couples of
Hytron 801A and VT-25 are also available as drivers if needed. I have
to say that for safety reasons I feel more comfortable with plate
voltages working on the lower side.
Any brainstorming ideas will surely be very valuable.

Best regards

izozaya

I think the RS237 is close to specs with a 211. I have one without a box
but it looks unused. Any idea what they go for?

Adam
izozaya

I have seen them vary in the range $100 to $450 depending on condition
(@ebay). Very difficult to find one of these at the usual resellers.

You are right with respect to specs, but because they are valuable (and
rare) I would go for a rather conservative design. Maybe something @
450 or 600V B+ and 75% plate dissipation.

By the way, mine have a little bit of history to tell. They were on
board of the Heinkel HE-111 bombers that bombed the town of Guernica
during the Spanish civil war. These scene was later captured by Picasso
in his famous masterpiece "Guernica".

Best regards

Fabio Berutti

If the problem is not to over-stress the tube I'd go for cathode bias and
use low CURRENT, more than low VOLTAGE. Usually a tube "dies" when the
cathode emissivity can not cope with circuit current requirements. But if
these tubes are still OK, the only way to kill'em is to shoot 'em. I have
some RL12T15s, TeKaDe made, bearing the Wehrmacht's logo (I thought to wipe
it, it makes me shiver): they look brand new and measure 20%+ than reported
on specs. There must have been some reason if the nazis raided the whole
Europe and it took the lives of 22 millions Red Army's soldiers to stop
them... one was they had the better radios.

Ciao

Fabio

ups.com...