Default distortion

Hi I am transferring some of my audio tapes to wav format. My question
is I have a few tapes which were badly recorded and are peaking at +3
and +6db instead of 0 db on my casette player. I know it's probably too
late but is there a way to fix the distorted sound through something
like sound forge? And since the distortion is due to clipping, will
this hurt my speakers when playing if I normalize it through sound
forge? Basically it will be playing at 0db but was recorded over 0db?

Ben Bradley

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:32:58 +0100, Pooh Bear

Hi I am transferring some of my audio tapes to wav format. My question
is I have a few tapes which were badly recorded and are peaking at +3
and +6db instead of 0 db on my casette player. I know it's probably too
late but is there a way to fix the distorted sound through something
like sound forge? And since the distortion is due to clipping, will
this hurt my speakers when playing if I normalize it through sound
forge? Basically it will be playing at 0db but was recorded over 0db?

I suspect it would only hurt your speakers if you're playing it so
loud that it's already hurting your ears.

Actually the distortion is almost certainly not clipping. It's likely to be
simply 'tape overload' which compresses the signal fairly gently, initially
at least.

Since these are cassettes, there's no telling how good or bad the
recorder was - the record amp might well have been clipping, and I
don't know how differently tape saturation is at cassette speed and
track width.
I also wonder if 'high output' tape recorded at a high level might
clip a marginal playback preamp. I'd listen to playback on several
different machines to see if it sounds less distorted on one than
another.

In theory it might be possible to recover some of the damage. I have no
idea in practice if there's anything around that'll do it.

Google RAP for some declipping algorithms/plugins and reviews of
them. Ironically, these may work better with hard-clipped program
material than with the softer 'tape saturation', presuming cassettes
give that.

Graham

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley

Find out if the distortion is on the tape itself. If not, you may be
able to re-record it to your comp without clipping. If it is, bad luck;
there's a 'restore clipping' feature of Cooledit or Audition which you
might try.