telefunky

Default I want that late 60's-early 70's sound.

Hi everyone, newbie posting he

Today I picked up a vinyl copy of Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic
Pillow" from a yard sale. I don't particularly like the band that
much, but the album was a quarter so I bought it. It blew me away. It
reminded me of other stuff from that era like the first Doors album
which I worship, Love's "Forever Changes" and "The Velvet
Underground and Nico" in the sense that they share a certain sound.
I'm not talking about the quality of songwriting, the style of music
or the performances, I'm talking about the way those records sound or
feel. I guess you could call it the opposite of the current FM radio
sound.

I'm wondering if any of you, especially those who may have been in
the business in the late 60's - early 70's can tell me how that
sound was achieved. Was it the tape decks? Tape formula? Was it the
consoles? The limited track number? Was it the training of the
engineers back then? Was it that they had new U-47's at the time and
just stuck them in front of everything and bingo...gorgeous tone? Was
it the compression or lack of compression? The mastering or lack of
mastering? I just want to know why records don't sound like that
anymore, and how, if someone really wanted to, could they go about
getting close to that sound? Also, are there any modern pieces of gear
that any of you have tried that do a decent job of capturing that retro
feel? Are any of the UA remakes any good for this sort of thing? How
about a reverb unit that can do a convincing "echo chamber"? Or is
there no substitute for the original stuff. Maybe one of you will say
that the equipment doesn't matter so much, that it was the brilliant
engineering. Could someone like Bruce Botnick record a band through my
Soundcraft 600 console with my RNP and still get that sound? I'd like
to know what you think.

I guess this is more of a discussion topic than a question, but I'm
anxious to hear what people have to say. Thanks in advance for any
insight.

Geoff Wood

"telefunky" wrote in message

I'm wondering if any of you, especially those who may have been in
the business in the late 60's - early 70's can tell me how that
sound was achieved. Was it the tape decks? Tape formula? Was it the
consoles? The limited track number? Was it the training of the
engineers back then? Was it that they had new U-47's at the time and
just stuck them in front of everything and bingo...gorgeous tone? Was
it the compression or lack of compression? The mastering or lack of
mastering? I just want to know why records don't sound like that
anymore, and how, if someone really wanted to,

To do with tape compression and limited high freq response. Plus all that
you mwention. Not a hi fi sound necessarily, but "warm and cosy" if you
like that sort of thing.

geoff

Chris Hornbeck

On 28 May 2005 20:59:33 -0700, "telefunky" wrote:

Today I picked up a vinyl copy of Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic
Pillow" from a yard sale. I don't particularly like the band that
much, but the album was a quarter so I bought it. It blew me away. It
reminded me of other stuff from that era like the first Doors album
which I worship, Love's "Forever Changes" and "The Velvet
Underground and Nico" in the sense that they share a certain sound.
I'm not talking about the quality of songwriting, the style of music
or the performances, I'm talking about the way those records sound or
feel. I guess you could call it the opposite of the current FM radio
sound.

Very well put! In so many ways.

Could someone like Bruce Botnick record a band through my
Soundcraft 600 console with my RNP and still get that sound?

IMO, the issue is not one of hardware; rather, one of intent.

I guess this is more of a discussion topic than a question, but I'm
anxious to hear what people have to say. Thanks in advance for any
insight.

Just guessing, but from context you don't appear to be a Druggie
Boomer from "the days", rather to have a fresh, open-minded viewpoint
on the mid-war era's music. That you connect with this 35 year
old artifact is significant; but is your connection purely
musical, or is there a "temporal" element?

To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II?
We're again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

Chris Hornbeck
"I didn't think this would happen again,
with or without my best intentions" -Liz Phair,
"**** and Run" from _Exile in Guyville_
Mean blues; not for the faint of heart.
Phil Allison

"telefunky"
Hi everyone, newbie posting he

Today I picked up a vinyl copy of Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic
Pillow" from a yard sale.

** It is available on CD, on RCA: PCD13766

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will get
the vinyl artefacts out of the issue.

There is nothing wonderful about the sound quality - there is just a lot of
echo chamber being used.

The performances are classics, you may be being swayed by them.

............ Phil

Richard Crowley

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...

IMO, the issue is not one of hardware; rather, one of intent.

More "live-style" performance/micing all together (as contrasted
with tracking individual instruments separately)?

Less compression to digital FS?

To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II?
We're again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

What music? Isn't this the "post-music" era? Its all rap, etc. now.
Perhaps another reason you don't need those big commercial
studios (the ones that are all folding). You can do pre-distorted
grunge on any garage-band equipment. The worse, the "better".

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 28 May 2005 22:21:10 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II?
We're again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

What music? Isn't this the "post-music" era? Its all rap, etc. now.
Perhaps another reason you don't need those big commercial
studios (the ones that are all folding). You can do pre-distorted
grunge on any garage-band equipment. The worse, the "better".

You're doubtless right in any realistic sense, but I'm still
a'gin it. Just too old to be POMO.

But seriously, can we right wrongs, fix deep problems, yada-yada,
without the appropriate fighting songs? My off-the-cuff-guess is
Hell No.

Maybe music, in the sense of "songs" is more important now than
ever, just as our political intentions are more difficult to
define. Focus, focus, focus. Then think, think. Then refocus.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris Hornbeck
"I didn't think this would happen again,
with or without my best intentions" -Liz Phair,
"**** and Run" from _Exile in Guyville_
Mean blues; not for the faint of heart.
Joe Sensor

Phil Allison wrote:

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will get
the vinyl artefacts out of the issue.

Don't be such a schmuck.

He obviously "connected" with the album already. In fact, had he just
heard the CD for the first time, he might not have gotten so excited.
Paul Stamler

Part of the reason your question is very hard to answer is that the classic
albums you mention sound quite different from one another. I always thought
"The Doors" was one of the clearest, best-sounding recordings I'd heard. It
was recorded sparsely, not much clutter, and that had a lot to do with it.
Also, as you mention, good microphones through a good console. And it was
mastered on a new Ampex, the last of their tube machines, the MR-70, which a
lot of folks thought was the best-sounding, clearest machine they built, at
least up to the ATR-100.

They also didn't crank the high-frequency EQ up beyond the ear-bleed stage,
didn't do much compression (and what they did was tasteful). The echo was
almost certainly from an echo chamber, not from a digital simulator.

"Surrealistic Pillow" always sounded more covered-up to me, like it had a
lot of compression. Wonderful album, but the engineering wasn't as clear as
it was on "The Doors". Still, they got a good effect out of it; I still get
chills from "Coming Back to Me". Less fancy recorders, more compression, but
Al Shmitt was no slouch as an engineer. I'd love to hear what the master
tape sounded like.

Peace,
Paul

vinyl believer

Joe Sensor wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will get
the vinyl artefacts out of the issue.

Don't be such a schmuck.

He obviously "connected" with the album already. In fact, had he just
heard the CD for the first time, he might not have gotten so excited.

Exactly Joe...... The reason he probably liked the Airplane record is
BECAUSE it is on vinyl and superior to the 16 bit CD pickett fence
sound.

Old records sound good because they weren't mastered to death and
because records sound better than CDs..... Other than that there's no
magic to it.

I bet Phil Allison hasn't listened to a single piece of vinyl in the
last year, so he has no clue what he's talking about with his "vinyl
artifacts BS"...... How about the CD Artifact of sounding like swiss
cheese?

Try taking his advice of ABing a CD and Vinyl copy of that record
sometime and you'll 'get it'.

VB

Phil Allison

"Joe Sensor"
Phil Allison wrote:

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will
get the vinyl artefacts out of the issue.

Don't be such a schmuck.

** **** off - you ****ing ******.

He obviously "connected" with the album already.

** And he now needs to "un-connect" from the all the vagaries of a god knows
what condition, used, vinyl pressing to find out how the **master tape**
sounded - to have any chance of analysing how it was recorded.

In fact, had he just heard the CD for the first time, he might not have
gotten so excited.

** That was just my point - ****head.

.............. Phil

Phil Allison

"vinyl believer" = a ranting psychotic public menace
Joe Sensor wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will
get
the vinyl artefacts out of the issue.

Don't be such a schmuck.

He obviously "connected" with the album already. In fact, had he just
heard the CD for the first time, he might not have gotten so excited.

Exactly Joe...... The reason he probably liked the Airplane record is
BECAUSE it is on vinyl and superior to the 16 bit CD pickett fence
sound.

** A paranoid schizo for sure.

Old records sound good because they weren't mastered to death and
because records sound better than CDs..... Other than that there's no
magic to it.

** Most old records sound rotten - even this one is ruined by tape
distortion and compression.

I bet Phil Allison hasn't listened to a single piece of vinyl in the
last year, so he has no clue what he's talking about with his "vinyl
artefacts BS".

** I bet this anonymous dog's pile of insane thoughts is right out of a
asylum.

............. Phil

vinyl believer

Brilliant reply Phil .... You are one smart guy....... with "tin
ears". (Although I know you Phil and concur, that quote comes from a
few others in the industry).

BTW have you listened to a record all the way through in the last year.

VB

vinyl believer

Phil Allison wrote:

** **** off - you ****ing ******.....

** That was just my point - ****head. .............

** **** off - you ****ing ******.....

Phil

Nice Phil....... That's why you'll never work with us ..... Prick

Phil Allison

"vinyl believer" = ranting , psycho, manic TROLL

Brilliant reply Phil ..

** **** off you sub human pile of excreta.

............ Phil

Phil Allison

"vinyl believer" = a ranting, psycho, manic TROLL

** A real piece of trailer park trash, for sure.

........... Phil

vinyl believer

Phil Allison wrote:
** **** off you sub human pile of excreta.......
** **** off - you ****ing ******..... ** That was just my point -
****head. .............
** **** off - you ****ing ******.....
** A real piece of trailer park trash, for sure. .......... Phil

Wow Phil you really are a true Moron. Talk about Psycho.

Can I push your stupid button again and get some more comments?......
You're quite amusing.

VB

david morley

Phil Allison wrote:

** **** off - you ****ing ******.....

** That was just my point - ****head. .............

** **** off - you ****ing ******.....

Phil

See in the 70's it would have been:

** get lost - you fool **
** that was just my point - idiot **

much more pleasant and harmonious
much like vinyl....
fredbloggstwo

"telefunky" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

I guess this is more of a discussion topic than a question, but I'm
anxious to hear what people have to say. Thanks in advance for any
insight.

Could it be they had talent? - crap in crap out

Mike

Phil Allison

"vinyl believer" = a ranting, psycho, manic TROLL

** A real piece of trailer park trash, for sure.

........... Phil

Andre Majorel

On 2005-05-29, telefunky wrote:

Today I picked up a vinyl copy of Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic
Pillow" from a yard sale. I don't particularly like the band that
much, but the album was a quarter so I bought it. It blew me away.

The sound would be easier to appreciate if it weren't masked by
the reverb. :-(

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )

Scott Dorsey

telefunky wrote:

Today I picked up a vinyl copy of Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic
Pillow" from a yard sale. I don't particularly like the band that
much, but the album was a quarter so I bought it. It blew me away. It
reminded me of other stuff from that era like the first Doors album
which I worship, Love's "Forever Changes" and "The Velvet
Underground and Nico" in the sense that they share a certain sound.
I'm not talking about the quality of songwriting, the style of music
or the performances, I'm talking about the way those records sound or
feel. I guess you could call it the opposite of the current FM radio
sound.

It's not the Dynagroove pressing, is it? The Dynagroove ones sound a lot
worse than the original pressing.

[...]

For the most part, a lot of that sound comes from the practice of recording
the band all at one time in a big room. The groove that comes from musicians
playing together is something that is rapidly becoming lost today.

Sure, there is a contribution from the mild processing and from the tape
machine artifacts, but so much of it comes from the tracking session.

You can build your own chamber in the attic from some cheap sheet plywood
and a speaker and a 635A, and it'll sound like a real chamber. The $5,000
Sony sampling reverb does a great job of simulating a chamber, but for a
couple hundred bucks you can make a real one.

The problem is that getting a big room with good acoustics for a band is
getting to be harder and harder.

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II?
We're again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

Last night I saw Moby live in Lisbon. He introduced the song "Lift Me Up"
from his lastest CD as being about the dangerous situation the USA are
in due to being ruled by the right ring. Although I think the lyrics are
not very explicit.

BTW1, great festival: both New Order and Moby gave two great concerts.
Moby has great taste in his influences. Apart from "New Dawn Fades"
(Joy Division) which I had already seen on his DVD "Play", he played
"Walk on the Wild Side" (Lou Reed) and in one of his song he inserted
the melody from one Led Zeppelin song ("Whole Lotta Love", I think) and
later on the same song a Pink Floyd-like guitar.

BTW2, on one of the songs Moby asked the audience to jump up and down
because 3 of the musicians on stage (Lucy (keyboards), Lara (singer)
and the guitar player) had never played in an European festival and
he wanted to show them 35000 people "going ape****". Does the public
in the USA lacks enthusiasm or was he just flattering us ?

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
telefunky

Thanks for the replies so far. I thought maybe I should answer some of
them.

Chris: I really was a child of the 80's and I don't have any personal
connection to this music which is why I'm so interested in how these
sounds were achieved technically.

Richard and Scott: I think you're probably right when you talk about
tracking a band live with minimal (if any) overdubs. But doesn't the
track count have something to do with it? These recordings feel
"roomy" to me. Also, Scott, the record is an original pressing, not
the one you mentioned.

Paul: I think you're right that the albums I mentioned do sound
different from each other. I'm trying to figure out what it is that
they have in common that makes such an impression on me.

Phil: I think I'll stick to the vinyl, this stuff was meant to be
heard that way IMHO.

Vinyl Believer: I'd love to hear more about what you meant by new
records being "mastered to death". Were these classic albums mastered
flat? Is it the extra eq process that ruins so many records?

Someone also mentioned that the high end wasn't overused on these
records which I think is a very interesting point and something I'm
going to keep in mind while doing my own recordings.

Harvey Gerst

writes:

I'm wondering if any of you, especially those who may have been in
the business in the late 60's - early 70's can tell me how that
sound was achieved. Was it the tape decks? Tape formula? Was it the
consoles? The limited track number? Was it the training of the
engineers back then?

I wasn't there for "Surrelistic Pillow", but I did wander into RCA at
various times for "After Bathing at Baxter's". Here's what I recall:

It was a damn big room, but they were all over on one wall of the room
(the long wall), spaced and positioned about like they'd be onstage -
fairly close together, maybe 20 or 30 feet from far left to to far
right. Grace's keyboards on the far left, then Paul and his two amps,
Marty's vocal mic, drums about centered, then the bass amp, and Yorma's
four Fender Twins rig on the far right. The miking was fairly simple,
as I recall; one or two mics on the guitars and bass, and pretty
minimalist miking on the drums. Mostly Neumann mics, as I recall.

Al Schmitt and Dave Hassinger were pretty loose in the control room, and
the board was fairly simple, but lots of channels. I don't remember the
sessions being in stereo; I think it was mono, which Al usually
preferred.

The speakers were either UREI's or Altecs, I don't remember which. The
sound in the control room was huge. I do remember it was an Ampex
recorder being used, but I don't remember the model or how many tracks.

The whole album took a damn long time to make, with the group usually
coming in late at night and working long hours.

I'm sure Dave or Al would remember a lot more, since I was just a
visitor there.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

hank alrich

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II?
We're again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

I think it's with Steve Earle.

We have an interesting situation about to start evolving in my sparsely
populated region. Except for an AM whole-lotta-talkin'-goin'-on, the
primary stations have been acquired by "Christian" broadcasters.
However, a litle community station started up a while back, and folks
associated with it are on the verge of grokking that unless you want to
hear talk or religious racket, their station will become the major
venue. I think we're about to have some fun.

"Can't Get Bin Laden" and "Who Would Jesus Wanna Kill?" are right now
moving from their chrysalis stage, and are about to take local flight.

--
ha
hank alrich

vinyl believer wrote:

Exactly Joe...... The reason he probably liked the Airplane record is
BECAUSE it is on vinyl and superior to the 16 bit CD pickett fence
sound.

It'll have more to do with the production and engineering than any
bull**** "picket fence" malarkey. I don't mind folks preferring any
particular medium, but that is spurious crap, VB.

--
ha
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

For the most part, a lot of that sound comes from the practice of recording
the band all at one time in a big room. The groove that comes from musicians
playing together is something that is rapidly becoming lost today.

And I find it amazing how few seem able to grasp this. Note to the OP:
want your band to sound more like that? Play _together_.

snipitty doo dah

The problem is that getting a big room with good acoustics for a band is
getting to be harder and harder.

Though you'd think with some many huge SUV's around the garages would
have grown to fit, and we'd be home free, so to speak.

--
ha

Actually as I recall it was: "Get lost - you Foo"

Phil Allison

"telefunky"

Thanks for the replies so far.

I thought maybe I should answer some of
them.

Chris: I really was a child of the 80's and I don't have any personal
connection to this music which is why I'm so interested in how these
sounds were achieved technically.

** So why rudely reject my advice on how to hear that:

" ** It is available on CD, on RCA: PCD13766

Get yourself a CD copy and have a good listen on headphones, that will get
the vinyl artefacts out of the issue. "

Phil: I think I'll stick to the vinyl, this stuff was meant to be
heard that way IMHO.

** But it was NOT recorded onto vinyl - you complete ass.

It was recorded onto TAPE !!!!!!!!!!

That CD is a straight electronic transfer from the master or sub master tape
!!!

Any vinyl version has a whole extra layer of signal processing and
mechanical artefacts from the cutting and stamping etc, which varies
depending on when and where it was made, plus all the vagaries of YOUR home
vinyl playback system.

Stop being such a stubborn prick and have a good listen to the damn CD.

............ Phil

vinyl believer

Stop being such a stubborn prick and have a good listen to the damn
CD.

............ Phil

I agree with Phil, Telefunky (except for the Stuborn Prick, you
complete ass, parts) ...... Compare the CD to Vinyl and you'll find
that the vinyl sounds much better because 16 bit 44khz CDs are an
inferior medium that is missing a lot of information.

VB

Agent 86

On Sun, 29 May 2005 21:06:36 +0000, hank alrich wrote:

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

To raise an unrelated issue: what's the music of our Vietnam II? We're
again mid-war, again divided, but where's the music?

I think it's with Steve Earle.

I think you're right. But the general public will never hear it. Because
these days, all the mainstream radio stations a

1. afraid to **** off the government (gotta make sure the next round of
mergers gets approved by the fcc).

2. Shocked & appalled that Steve followed up his blockbuster Copperhead
Road by going to prison on a (gasp!) DRUG charge.

vinyl believer

Geez Hank don't take it personally. I'm not the first person to
question the integrity of 16/44 digital recording, and whether adequete
information is gathered at this sampling rate...... 24/96 recording on
the other hand sounds wonderful.

I may not have been recording quite as long as you Hank, but I have 30
years of pro audio recording experience with many major label credits
and I can clearly hear that CDs are lacking...... Not only do you hear
the "picket fence, swiss cheese, decaf effect", but the highs are
brittle and un-natrual and the midrange really lacks depth and
information...... The lows don't suffer as badly but are still not
acurrate to my ears.

If you can't hear any difference Hank, I'm sorry and I mean no offence,
but I clearly can and I stand by my observations along with others.

But as an engineer I will continue to critcize 16/44 and demand better.
In the meantime I feel that Vinyl offers a better listening experience.

VB

vinyl believer

Well you sure did a lot of tying to say that you don't give a rip.

Go after Phil Allison. He's the one with the Psycho Profanity
insults...... He's in serious need of Anger Management....... And yes
since he insulted me, I did taunt him and do find him amusing in a sick
kind of way.

VB

vinyl believer

Vinyl Believer: I'd love to hear more about what you meant by new

records being "mastered to death"

Kudos to you Telefunky for your quest to make things sound better. And
don't let them patronize you and pat you on the head and tell you that
you're just a romantic fool listening through rose-colored ears.....
Good sound is not just an audio test pattern, it has to have soul and
integrity.

You probably have gotten by now that I think 16/44 digital recording is
not a great medium and I prefer vinyl......
But as was pointed out to me by many experienced engineers here in a
long CD vs Vinyl thread, modern mastering has a lot to do with much of
the current crop of crappy recordings...... And if you listen to
original vinyl from the 60s or 70s and compare them to the some of the
remastered versions from the 80s you can clearly hear how bad they
sound. So it's not just a CD vs. Vinyl problem.

I'm no expert on mastering and others can offer much more insight, but
I beleive that bad mastering has as much to do with todays bad music as
anything.

Great mastering from the likes of Bob Clearmountain, Bob Ohlson, Bernie
Grundman and a host of others have turned good records into great
records. But in the past records were lightly mastered and many not
really at all.

Then in the late 80s and 90s everyone had to have their record mastered
and many inexperiecned mastering engineers just played with their toys
on these projecets and screwed them up just about every way
possible..... Too much limiting, volume, compression, eq, you name it.
(But mostly too much L1 )...... I hope we can find our way out of this
audio nightmare.

IMO tread lightly on the mastering and listen and learn from some of
the pros here. They have a LOT of good experience.

VB

Bob Cain

vinyl believer wrote:
Geez Hank don't take it personally. I'm not the first person to
question the integrity of 16/44 digital recording, and whether adequete
information is gathered at this sampling rate...... 24/96 recording on
the other hand sounds wonderful.

Do you actually know anything about sampling theory? You
know, the math stuff.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein