Professional to Consumer line level conversion & vice ve

Old April 16th 05, 03:33 AM
bans25

Default Professional to Consumer line level conversion & vice ve

HI all,

I am new to playing in the audio / video world so forgive me if I ask
dumb questions! .

Currently interfacing to a TI AIC23 (
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlv320aic23b.pdf ) audio codec
with consumer line level inputs and outputs.

What I need to do is make a PCB that will convert these 1Vrms I/O's to
interface with Professional equipment (+4dbu).

So I will need to PAD the input to the codec ( +4dbu Professional line
level ----> -10dbv Consumer line level) right? 12db pad?

and then I need to amplify the output of the codec (-10 dbv Consumer
line level ----> +4dbu Professional line level) 12db amp.

Here is the catch, I would like to be able to still also interface my
AIC23 to consumer equipment or professional equipment and select the
pad/amp via software control.

Does anyone know of any ICs that may help me out to do this? maybe
some digitally controlled pots?

I need to fit this circuitry on a 3" x 3" board to fit in the box.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks

-Bill

Old April 16th 05, 03:45 AM
Richard Crowley

"bans25" > wrote in message
> HI all,
>
> I am new to playing in the audio / video world so forgive me if I ask
> dumb questions! .
>
> Currently interfacing to a TI AIC23 (
> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlv320aic23b.pdf ) audio codec
> with consumer line level inputs and outputs.
>
> What I need to do is make a PCB that will convert these 1Vrms I/O's to
> interface with Professional equipment (+4dbu).
>
> So I will need to PAD the input to the codec ( +4dbu Professional line
> level ----> -10dbv Consumer line level) right? 12db pad?
>
> and then I need to amplify the output of the codec (-10 dbv Consumer
> line level ----> +4dbu Professional line level) 12db amp.
>
> Here is the catch, I would like to be able to still also interface my
> AIC23 to consumer equipment or professional equipment and select the
> pad/amp via software control.
>
> Does anyone know of any ICs that may help me out to do this? maybe
> some digitally controlled pots?
>
> I need to fit this circuitry on a 3" x 3" board to fit in the box.

You might find it useful to poke around the circuits published
on the Jensen Transformer website.....
http://www.jensentransformers.com/apps_sc.html

Old April 18th 05, 04:10 AM

In many cases so-called Pro equipment is actually single ended and
presents a bridging load, the only difference is the connector and the
ability to tolerate (but not necessarily need) the higher level. So in
reality you may be okay just going hot to hot. Most pro stuff has an
output level control and again much of it is actually single ended. You
may not need to pad it.

But for 100% industry compatibility transformers or an electronic
balun arrangement may be de rigeur. Transformers, good transformers, if
you can afford them are the best choice if you may be driving stuff
with true 600 ohm, true balanced inputs.