wiring options for 2 subs (2 omhs vs 4 ohms)

Old June 12th 04, 08:55 AM
Eddie Kern

Default wiring options for 2 subs (2 omhs vs 4 ohms)

I am going to get 2 10" subs for my car. I can get an amp for about
$300 that provides 600RMS x 1ch at 4 ohms. Or I can get one that
provides 600RMS x 1 ch at 2 ohms for $100 less. Money for me is a big
concern, but quality is what I am after, I want the best bass I can
get from say 50-225hz. I can get 2 dual voice coil (2 4ohms coils)
subs or 2 single voice coil (single 4 ohms) subs. this give me 3
option I would look to utalizing. 1) wire the dvc subs to be 2 ohms a
peice then wire them in series to make the total load 4 ohms. 2) wire
the dvc subs to be 8 ohms a peice, and wire them in parallel to make a
total load of 4 ohms. Or 3) wire the single voice coil subs (4 ohms)
in parallel to make a 2 ohms total load. My questions are. 1)is there
a difference between the 2 ways I would wire the dvc subs? 2) if I
went with the single vc subs, would there be enough of a difference
between the sound with 600RMS with the cheaper amp VS getting the
total load to be 4 ohms and having to pay more for the more powerful
amp? (But if there is a difference, please let me know) And I am
looking for sq, I don't want to be an spl monster(but I want a lot of
high quality bass and midbass, I am not to worried about the
frequencies between about 18-35hz). And I will be using the smallest
sealed encloser I can get away with (probably around .60 cubic feet
per sub)
Old June 12th 04, 10:25 PM
Nascar24Rulz

look at wiring subs under the tutorials section on jlaudio.com
Old June 16th 04, 09:40 PM
Roxtar

> 1)is there
> a difference between the 2 ways I would wire the dvc subs?

No, your amp will push the same RMS and each VC will get getting the
same RMS either way. 1)is there

> 2) if I
> went with the single vc subs, would there be enough of a difference
> between the sound with 600RMS with the cheaper amp VS getting the
> total load to be 4 ohms and having to pay more for the more powerful
> amp?

I dont know the answer to this, but DVC subs are typically higher-end
than single VC's ones.. I know 4 subs running 150RMS each will be
louder than 2 subs running 300 ea, but I doubt that applies to VC's,
since they'd be moving the same cone. I'd think that the DVC's sound
better.

FWIW, I swapped out my SVC subs for DVC ones, and they sound a million
times better on the same amp.. Of course you gotta factor in the
difference between MTX's (hi-end 10 years ago) subs and brand new JL
12w6v2's, so it's probably a useless comparison...
Old June 16th 04, 09:44 PM
Roxtar

Old June 22nd 04, 09:44 AM
Eddie Kern

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the single voice coil
subs, with a jbl 600.1 amp that will put out 600RMS @ 2ohms since I
will be wiring the 4 omhs subs in parallel for a total of a 2 ohms
load. I decided that to ensure sound quality the best and most cost
effective method would be to build my own sub box. I built reverse
slant box to allow my amps to get the most air space in my small
truck, it has ~.7083... cubic feet of space per chamber, and took like
8 hours to build. Me and my friend built it and were very very careful
to ensure the best quality possible. I have yet to test everything out
and will be sure to post when I do. I should be able to start it off
on 6/24/04. I'll let you guys know how it sounds in comparison to my
other sub which was an infinity 120.3dvc wired in series (8 ohms
load). Although who knows what the differences will be with so many
differences in situation. I'll give a huge summary of all the crap
that I learned when I am done. hahaha, thanks again for your help

Eddie Kern
Old August 13th 04, 05:48 AM
thirteenblack7

[metal]

--
thirteenblack7

Options for subs with high power handling Daniel Snooks Car Audio 7 April 13th 04 04:18 PM
Amp for JL subs HELP Nathan Car Audio 4 January 24th 04 05:14 AM
Wiring subs to receive 2 ohms eidsvikDM Car Audio 6 December 21st 03 08:17 AM
Running amp at 2ohms to sub 2 ohms or do I need 2 subs? rm Car Audio 1 July 7th 03 11:38 AM