FS VIKING 88 Tube Type Reel to Reel Stereo Tape Deck Restored Mint

Old March 26th 05, 03:21 AM
Mark

Default FS VIKING 88 Tube Type Reel to Reel Stereo Tape Deck Restored Mint

VIKING 88 REEL TO REEL TAPE DECK RECORDER TUBE AUDIO

This is a classic vintage Viking 88 tube tape deck. This is one of the
finest consumer tube tape decks made in the USA. The signal chain is
all 12AX7 triodes. This deck delivers that vintage tape / tube sound.

This is a 2 motor machine. There is a separate motor to drive the
capstan and the take up reel. This helps maintain a constant speed as
the take up reel fills. Cheaper designs that use a single motor suffer
from speed variations as the take up reel fills and changes the load on
the capstan motor. The capstan motor also drives the rewind function
but the capstan speed is not important during rewind.

This is a 3 head machine. There is a separate erase, record and play
head. The design of the heads, especially the head gap, has been
optimized for each function. The record head is a P-B2Q4R 500 micron
gap head. The play head is a P-B2Q7F 50 micro gap head. The use of
a separate play and record head also allows you to actually play back
at the same time as you record to monitor or verify that the recording
is being made correctly.

This machine features record bias adjustments on the rear. You can
adjust the record bias to be optimum for each type of tape that you
use. This machine features a low distortion push pull bias oscillator
which is important for low noise and distortion recording.

This machine features two high quality VU meters that have the correct
ballistics of a VU meter.

These are all features commonly found on professional audio tape
recorders.

This machine operates at 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips.

Thr machine accepts 7" reels.

The heads are configured for the 1/4 track stereo format. This is the
common format used in consumer machines. The machine can also be
switched to play 1/2 track stereo format tapes.

This unit has been refurbished and works like new. I am an electronics
engineer and I will guarantee that this unit is working like new. This
machine comes with a 30 day guarantee after you receive it. If you
have a problem, I will repair it or refund your money if I can't. I
can give you this guarantee because I have the test equipment and
knowledge to repair this machine myself. The unit has been tested and
aligned and is working perfectly in all respects. The record and play
heads are new. The pressure pad is new. The capstan motor and
pressure roller have been replaced. The drive belt and tape counter
belt are new. I have gone through the electronics and replaced any
capacitors that were out of spec. The 12AX7s in the signal chain are
Mullard tubes. I have cleaned all the controls and switches.

Anyone who knows tape machines knows that the tape heads are the key
component. The record and play heads have been replaced and are new
old stock Nortronics heads. The new Nortronics heads were obtained
from Joe Dundovic at http://www.magneticheadcompany.com/

A photocopy of the Operation and Service Manual is included. Two
brackets for mounting the machine in a wood cabinet are also included.
Feel fee to ask any questions.

traslate my email:
mkolber "at" motorola "dot" com

Old March 26th 05, 04:06 PM
jukeboxdenny

How much $$$ ??

Old March 27th 05, 05:08 AM
Mark

jukeboxdenny wrote:
> How much $$$ ??

I'm asking $180 plus shipping.
thanks

Mark

Old March 28th 05, 10:57 PM
stuhawk

The Viking 88 Has arcane delco transistors as the first stage of its
amp for the playback head followed by the 12ax7's. The Viking 86 however
is all tube, except for power supply recitfiers. My 86 is a very good
machine I prefer it to my Teac x-3 or any of my Akai's .