Heather G.

Default Best EL84 - Siemens?

By best I mean overall best sounding in a PP amp. Similar to people
saying that the ultimate 6L6GC is the RCA Black Plate and the best 12AX7
are Mullards and Telefunkens. Thanks.
Sander deWaal

"Heather G." said:

By best I mean overall best sounding in a PP amp. Similar to people
saying that the ultimate 6L6GC is the RCA Black Plate and the best 12AX7
are Mullards and Telefunkens. Thanks.

One that isn't worn out and meets the manufacturer's specs. ;-)

Honestly, I'm quite happy with NOS Philips, and so are most of the
dudes I do repair/modding work for.
Then again, I'm Dutch, and they're still available if you know where
to look.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
cowboy

"Heather G." wrote in message
By best I mean overall best sounding in a PP amp. Similar to people
saying that the ultimate 6L6GC is the RCA Black Plate and the best 12AX7
are Mullards and Telefunkens. Thanks.

the best EL84's were made by Telefunken, Valvo, Miniwatt, Siemens,
Klangfilm, & Mullard

all were great

by the way, the best 6L6GC was called "350B" and was made by Western
Electric, RCA black plate not even in the same league

cheers!

cowboy

Sander deWaal

"cowboy" cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom said:

the best EL84's were made by Telefunken, Valvo, Miniwatt, Siemens,
Klangfilm, & Mullard

all were great

All are likely to be Philips ;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
cowboy

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:44:10 -0500, "cowboy" cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom
wrote:

the best EL84's were made by Telefunken, Valvo, Miniwatt, Siemens,
Klangfilm, & Mullard

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:

Klangfilm = Siemens.

only on certain tubes

Klangfilm tubes were built by several manufacturers for use in German film
industry and often the German postal service as well, some Klangfilm were
also built by non-German firms, but they had very tight quality standards,
no junk ever carried the Klangfilm label.

cowboy

Lyle Harbour

Buy some current JJ telsa EL84 , They are an excellent reference from which
to judge
It all depends on your system's balance .

We all want the best first time, It's Human nature and the Marketers Dream.
But until you start some where , you will not know where you want to go

The best is only a reference to sombody else's best, You will have to
discover your best

How often and with whatever purchase so many want the best
so we search , listen to others experiances. And then spend our money

So often the money once spent . we did not get what we expected.
Because we do not yet understand what we truly need

Your frame of reference begins with your first purchase, And grows from
there.
Money may be valuable, But experiance is priceless.

Go Forth, Pay, Learn An Enjoy. Who knows the joy's you will find

Once you have some JJ's, You can then express where you are and
where you would like to be. And will better understand others experiances

The more you learn , The more you will understand . How much that there is
to know.

Lyle

"Heather G." wrote in message
By best I mean overall best sounding in a PP amp. Similar to people
saying that the ultimate 6L6GC is the RCA Black Plate and the best 12AX7
are Mullards and Telefunkens. Thanks.

izozaya

"Heather G." wrote in message
By best I mean overall best sounding in a PP amp. Similar to people
saying that the ultimate 6L6GC is the RCA Black Plate and the best 12AX7
are Mullards and Telefunkens. Thanks.

Couldn't agree more.

My suggestion is: Buy a cheap standard set of either current
production (JJ is a safe bet) or go eBay for an old used set of
original Philips, Miniwatt or any other popular brand (used ones don't
go particularly expensive). Then judge and build your own reference
frame, which may also include capacitors, transformers and any other
component in the chain.

And last but not least, share your experiences with the group!

fixed bias EL84 Fox Vacuum Tubes 5 December 25th 04 10:49 PM
el84 running too hot. maxdm Vacuum Tubes 6 November 19th 04 03:07 PM
EL84 questions? Bryan McGivney Vacuum Tubes 3 August 17th 03 01:40 PM
EL84 6BQ5 unused pin question rp Tech 1 July 25th 03 03:59 PM
EL84 6BQ5 unused pin question rp Vacuum Tubes 1 July 25th 03 05:23 AM