Default amplification for headphones on vcr?

I plugged my headphones into my vcr (with an adapter) so I would be able
to hear videos better when working out on my treadmill. (Between the noise
of the treadmill and the fan, I have to turn the tv's volume all the way
up to hear it, and the speakers are starting to show distortion, ie,
they're getting blown. I thought headphones would be a better way to
listen.)

However, the sound is very soft, so I guess some amplification is
needed. Is there an inexpensive way to do this? Do I have to buy a
stereo amplifier, or is there something simpler and cheaper that would
do the job? The headphones I'm using have their own volume control, btw,
and I had it all the way up, but it didn't help at all.

Thanks,

J. Wermont
Arny Krueger

wrote in message

I plugged my headphones into my vcr (with an adapter) so I would be
able to hear videos better when working out on my treadmill. (Between
the noise of the treadmill and the fan, I have to turn the tv's
volume all the way up to hear it, and the speakers are starting to
show distortion, ie, they're getting blown. I thought headphones
would be a better way to listen.)

However, the sound is very soft, so I guess some amplification is
needed. Is there an inexpensive way to do this? Do I have to buy a
stereo amplifier, or is there something simpler and cheaper that would
do the job? The headphones I'm using have their own volume control,
btw, and I had it all the way up, but it didn't help at all.

A possible solution to the problem can be found at Radio Shack as part
330-1109. They sell a little battery-powered headphone booster that is known
to much of the rest of the world as the "Boostaroo" for about $20. It turns
out to be a super-clean, super-quiet general-purpose audio amplifier that
puts out about a 1 volt signal max, with about 6 dB of gain that happens to
be able to drive low impedance loads quite well.

I use mine so often that I decided to convert it to AC power. The converter
is composed of a discarded Comcast cable modem power supply, two pieces of
doweling and a couple of wood screws. More details if needed.

Arny Krueger wrote:

A possible solution to the problem can be found at Radio Shack as part
330-1109. They sell a little battery-powered headphone booster that is
known to much of the rest of the world as the "Boostaroo" for about $20.

Thanks! I was hoping that something simple like this would solve the
problem.

J. Wermont