wedelthomas

Default Power acoustik and sony

Hi there I need a little help here
I have a PowerAcoustik HMR 800-4 (800 W) 2 Ohm mosfet amp, also a 500
watt Sony xplod Sub, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this combination right? (using one channel bridged to give the
sub 400w)

2. I also have a little nippon america 50Wx4 (200w) amp for front
speakers connected to a 84 ampere car battery using 8 gauge
(high-current) awg cable, can I connect the Power Acoustic to the same
cable or I have to run another cable from the battery just for the PA?

thanks in advance...
Peter Klein

Having mosfets in a car amp means nothing in terms of it's output. Mosfets
are good for the pre-driver stage only. The best output transistors ar
bipolar and cost more. All the high end car amps made in the U.S. (Fosgate,
Earthquake, Orion, etc.) use bipolar outputs just like the high end home
audio amps. The Chinese love to tout Mosfets because they're cheap and
durable, but they also change the sound of female vocals! The Sony is a
better product. P.

"wedelthomas" wrote in message
m...
Hi there I need a little help here
I have a PowerAcoustik HMR 800-4 (800 W) 2 Ohm mosfet amp, also a 500
watt Sony xplod Sub, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this combination right? (using one channel bridged to give the
sub 400w)

2. I also have a little nippon america 50Wx4 (200w) amp for front
speakers connected to a 84 ampere car battery using 8 gauge
(high-current) awg cable, can I connect the Power Acoustic to the same
cable or I have to run another cable from the battery just for the PA?

thanks in advance...

Ampdoc

Boy don't we know all about it. Fosgate has been using IRF540 and IRF9540
FET outputs for years. Sony uses the SAME FET's. FYI, As far as high end
home audio, the Pioneer Elite recievers, VSX39TX, and most of their other
Elite models, also use IRF540/9540 pair as outputs.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
"Peter Klein" wrote in message
[...]

Les

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
The Chinese love to tout Mosfets because they're cheap and
durable, but they also change the sound of female vocals!

WTF????? It changes the sound of female vocals?!?! Now be a good little best
buy salesman and explain how.

Les

Kevin Murray

"Peter Klein" wrote:
Having mosfets in a car amp means nothing in terms of it's output.

Almost true. MOSFETs have a lower transconductance and tend to have a greater
"on" resistance than bipolar types. This means a slightly higher distortion spec
and lower output stage efficiency. However the difference in sound quality is
undetectable to the ear.

Mosfets are good for the pre-driver stage only.

Where did you get that from?

The best output transistors are bipolar and cost more. All the high end car

amps made
in the U.S. (Fosgate, Earthquake, Orion, etc.) use bipolar outputs just like

the high end home
audio amps.

What is your source for this info?

The Chinese love to tout Mosfets because they're cheap and durable,

Not cheaper and only a little more durable.

but they also change the sound of female vocals! The Sony is a
better product. P.

OK now you're just making things up.

Kevin Murray