lex

Default Isosceles monitor arrangement

Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use an isosceles monitor
arrangement as opposed to an equilateral one?

How does this differ with nearfields?

Scott Dorsey

lex wrote:
Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use an isosceles monitor
arrangement as opposed to an equilateral one?

Yes. Your imaging will be narrower.

How does this differ with nearfields?

Not at all. Nearfields are speakers just like any others. There is
nothing magic about them.
Rob Reedijk

lex wrote:
Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use an isosceles monitor
arrangement as opposed to an equilateral one?

Seeing as an equilateral is a type of isosceles triangle, I don't
undestand your question.

But I think you are wondering if you must position yourself a
specific distance from the line that joins between the two speakers.
These things are just guidelines or positions to start from.

Rob R.
Bob Cain

Mike Rivers wrote:

It's certainly a good idea to have the two speakers at the same
distance from your ears, but any angle that isn't so wide or narrow
that the best sound from your speakers doesn't miss your ears will
work.

Hmmm, I always thought that the axes of the speakers were to
be aligned with the two edges of the triangle that converge
on you, i.e that they should point directly at you. Wrong?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

lex

I'm only going to be 3 feet away from them, and they will be
equidistant from me and point at my head. I suppose if it sounds good,
it is good, would apply here.

lex

I mean the distance between the monitors is shorter than the distance
from each monitor to my head. So the sides being equal monitor to
person, but shorter monitor to monitor.

Rob Reedijk wrote:
lex wrote:
Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use an isosceles monitor
arrangement as opposed to an equilateral one?

Seeing as an equilateral is a type of isosceles triangle, I don't
undestand your question.

But I think you are wondering if you must position yourself a
specific distance from the line that joins between the two speakers.
These things are just guidelines or positions to start from.

Rob R.

Scott Dorsey

lex wrote:
So you're saying the stage will appear to be smaller than it actually
is? Or am I misunderstanding imaging?

If you're too close, it will be exaggeratedly wide. If you're too far,
it will be exaggeratedly narrow.

Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

It's certainly a good idea to have the two speakers at the same
distance from your ears, but any angle that isn't so wide or narrow
that the best sound from your speakers doesn't miss your ears will
work.

Hmmm, I always thought that the axes of the speakers were to
be aligned with the two edges of the triangle that converge
on you, i.e that they should point directly at you. Wrong?

Depends on the speakers. If the radiation pattern is very even it
doesn't matter. If the speakers are a little beamy, toeing them out
can give you a little less top end and a little wider sweet spot.

Buster Mudd

Rob Reedijk wrote:
lex wrote:
Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use an isosceles monitor
arrangement as opposed to an equilateral one?

Seeing as an equilateral is a type of isosceles triangle, I don't
undestand your question.

In US schools we're taught that the Equilateral (having 3 equal
sides/angles) is a different type of triangle even though it also
conforms to the definition of an Isoceles (having 2 equal
sides/angles). Clearly the concept of an intersection set never got
applied to American remedial geometry.

But what I often find confusing (or amusing) is that in many
discussions about setting up stereo monitors people recommend having
the distance between the 2 monitors equal to the distance from the
listener *to the monitor plane* ...i.e., the midpoint between the 2
speakers on a virtual line perpendicular to the direction the listener
is facing. This is most definitely NOT an Equilateral triangle (and is
in fact an Isosceles triangle).

So I would counter the OP's question with the inverse: Is there any
good reason why you shouldn't use an equilateral monitor arrangement as
opposed to an isosceles one?