Tony Quinn

Default TASCAM DA-30 Mk II error codes

I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D, but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?
Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity
reply to
georgeh

Tony Quinn writes:

I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D, but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?

I saw these posted a while back:

Error 00 - Condensation on the drum, leave the unit on for 1-2 hours to dry
Error in drum functions, Turn the unit off, then on. If msg does
not go out, repeat the off/on switching several time. If msg still
persists, contact Tascam.

Error 01 - Error in tape loading mechanism. Same as for error 00.
Error 02 - Error in reel/capstan motors. Same as for error 00.
Error 03 - Tape is broken. Replace the tape.
Error 04 - The DA-30MKII cannot configure itself for the incoming sample
rate data, making correct recording impossible. Trace and fix the
problem on the part of the source material.
Tony Quinn

In message , georgeh
writes
Tony Quinn writes:

I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D, but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?

I saw these posted a while back:

Error 00 - Condensation on the drum, leave the unit on for 1-2 hours to dry
Error in drum functions, Turn the unit off, then on. If msg does
not go out, repeat the off/on switching several time. If msg still
persists, contact Tascam.

Error 01 - Error in tape loading mechanism. Same as for error 00.

I thought as much, it's a persistent fault. So, unless I can find a tape
Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity
reply to

I've seen this a ton of times with this deck. Sometimes lube from the
transport tray somehow gets onto one of the tiny tranport mechanism
belts. If you can take the transport out and carefully rmove and clean
the rubber belts it may fix the problem. Or order and replace them.

From Eddie Ciletti: Loading problems have been common to TASCAM'S

DA-30MKII and the DA-P1 portable. Both use the same ALPS mechanism.
Deep inside the mechanism, a rubber belt the size of a dime links a
motor with a worm gear. The gear is sometimes over-lubricated.
Gravity combined with centrifugal force "spits" schmutz on to the
belt causing it to slip and eventually deteriorate.

Tony Quinn wrote:
I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D,

but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?
Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity
reply to

Gareth Magennis

Tape isn't loading. If it is only a loading problem it should be economical
to repair. Assuming the rest of it is OK. But you won't know that until
the loading problem is fixed.

Gareth.

"Tony Quinn" wrote in message
news
I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D, but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?
Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity
reply to

Scott Dorsey

Tony Quinn wrote:
In message , georgeh

Error 01 - Error in tape loading mechanism. Same as for error 00.

I thought as much, it's a persistent fault. So, unless I can find a tape

Just fix it. You don't replace your car's engine just because the
oil needs changing.
Tony Quinn

In message , Gareth Magennis
writes
Tape isn't loading. If it is only a loading problem it should be economical
to repair. Assuming the rest of it is OK. But you won't know that until
the loading problem is fixed.

E-E the machine checks out really well.....
Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity
reply to
Tony Quinn

In message , Tony Quinn
writes
I've just had one donated - the tape will not thread and Error 01 is
displayed. The audio chains all work, so I could use it as an A-D, but
what I'd like to know is, is this an easily repairable fault?

In the end (and after a bit of advice) I resorted to the old trick of
boiling the loading belt for about 15 minutes, it now works perfectly
and a new set of belts is on order