Vikter

Default How to fix no display or no sound in Nissan Maxima or Infinity I30 with Bose Radio Clarion

How to Fix Bose Radio with bad display or no sound in a Nissan Maxima
or Infinity i30 1995 or 1996. Maybe even 9?-94.

95 96 Nissan Maxima with Bose AM/FM/CD/Cassette

Part Number PN-2083D
Manufactured by Clarion for Nissan.

This radio is notorious for having a problem with the display. It may
dim out or be completely off. Also, it seems to be bad, then one day
it will work fine and the next day it will not work. As far as I know,
there is also another model number with similar problems from earier
model Nissans.

I have located a post in the forums on maxima.org and followed up on
Madchef's idea that the display problems were caused by a bad solder
joint at location R510 on the Power Supply Board. By the way, when you
open your bose radio, you will see a number printed on the circuit
board next to each component. By saying location R510, I mean the
resistor soldered next to this number on the board. The problem is on
the power supply board. It seems that it is not soldered correctly on
one side. re-solder the resistor and check if your disply works. If it
does not, replace the resistor with a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor from
radioshack.

Madchef made a great tutorial on how to take the head unit apart and
locating the problem board.

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/bose.html

I confirm that the no display problem is caused by bad solder joints
at location R510. Furthermore, I have discovered that location R519
solves the problem with no audio.

The no sound problem is kind of weird. You can barely hear a CD if you
are quiet when the volume is turned up all the way, but as far as I
know, you cannot hear the radio at all. Also, when seeking for radio
stations, it seems to keep scanning and never finds a signal strong
enough to stop.

When re-soldering the pads, I realized that R519 was cracked. Also,
both locations (R510 and R519) have the same resistor labeled 471. It
is a small flat black surface mount resistor. I soldered the good
resistor to R510 and the display works, but not the sound. When I
soldered the good resistor to R519, the sound works, but not the
display.

I have called Clarion at 1-800-421-5080 and spoke to a parts sales
representative and gave them the Head Unit model number PN-2083D, and
the location of the part I need (either R510 or R519) and they
promised to call me back within 24 hours. They said that resistors are
not commonly in their system and that they would need to research the
part.

Clarion returned my call regarding the type of resistor in location
R510 and R519. They said they don't carry it, but it can be purchased
locally. They gave me the following specs. 470 ohm at 1/2 watt

I dashed down to RadioShack and bought a pack of 5 for $.99

Soldered it, installed it and presto! My Bose display works perfectly!
I took a few pictures of the the installation. I don't have hosting.
Sorry.

The resistor from Radioshack is much bigger than the original
resistor, but there is plenty of place on the board, so it's not too
big of a deal.

I had searched google groups for months and I have found others have
the same problem, but I never found a post that tells you how to fix
it. So here it is!

This is awesome. I'm glad I don't have to spend $165 + shipping for a
$.99 part (as they charge at popular online bose radio repair shops).
Who knows, maybe they don't even change the resistors, they might just
re-solder them.

ALSO, There are other known problems with this model, such as CD not
working or displaying ERROR and similar problems. I have not had those
problems, but I would suggest that you re-solder everything on the
power supply board before sending it in for repair. This just may do
the trick, Also, if you find out how to fix other problems, please
help others by posting your results on google groups and the forums on
maxima.org

By the way, here is a link to the original thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291903

Thanks and God Bless You!

Victor Gonzalez