David F. Eisan

Default Why are my speakers clipping?

Evening all,

I am having trouble with the stereo in my 2003 extended cab Ford Ranger.

Here is my stereo set up,

I am using the stock Ford 6 disk in dash head unit (I have no room for an
aftermarket 6 disk changer). Two pair of Alpine SPR-574A 5" x 7" Type-R
Coaxial 2-Way Speaker to replace the four stock 5x7 speakers,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...y=90&p_main=10

For Amps I am using an Alpine MRP-F240 4x50 amp to power the four 5x7
speakers,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...=120&p_main=10

And an Alpine MRP-M350 1x350 amp to power my sub,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...=140&p_main=10

For a Sub I am using a Kicker S8L5 in a box I made to fit between the jump
seats in the back of my ranger,

http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?f...u=SUBWOOFE RS

Here are a few pics of the install,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/subbox.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/alldone.jpg

I have the crossover on the amp set to HP, filtering the lows from the front
speakers. I have the rear speakers set to full range, but my system is faded
heavily to the front, so the rear speakers are not doing too much.

I am happy with the system except at loud volume. I am hearing a clicking
sound from my front speakers that I think is clipping, it always goes away
when I lower the volume.

How can I fix this problem? I want to play my system louder than I do now
(driving down the highway with the windows down), but I cannot due to the
clipping.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

David.

MZ

I don't think what you're experiencing is amplifier clipping. It's probably
the speakers bottoming out - being driven beyond their limits. The only
solutions to this problem are further raising the HP xover freq or getting
speakers that can do what you're asking of them.

Oh yeah, another possibility is that the head unit is clipping.

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Gary Rodgers

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
| Evening all,
|
| I am having trouble with the stereo in my 2003 extended cab Ford Ranger.

snip snip

| I am happy with the system except at loud volume. I am hearing a clicking
| sound from my front speakers that I think is clipping, it always goes away
| when I lower the volume.

clicking is usually caused by overdriving the tweeters. When you're
"cranking" it, you're either got head-unit clipping or amp clipping - I
couldn't tell you for sure which one, but you've got one.

| How can I fix this problem? I want to play my system louder than I do now
| (driving down the highway with the windows down), but I cannot due to the
| clipping.

Like the old doctor joke - hey doc, it hurts when i do this...well then
don't do that.

You're running 50w RMS x 4 - and using Alpine's cheapest 4-way amp - it's a
good amp, but not a ton of headroom (errrrr...that's why it's cheaper).
Your speakers are rated at 40 watts RMS... You're probably hitting them
with alot more than that when you're overdriving 'em.

| Suggestions anyone?

Upgrade your amp to a (much) higher powered one, and change out your
speakers with ones that have an rms rating very close to the amplifier's
rating. Remember that doubling the wattage only give a 3dB gain in volume.
"Good" sounds comes relatively cheap. "Loud" sound comes relatively cheap.
If you want "Good Loud" sound you have to pay for it.

| Thanks,

You're welcome.

Gary
pick mynose to reply

MZ

Upgrade your amp to a (much) higher powered one, and change out your
speakers with ones that have an rms rating very close to the amplifier's
rating.

That amp may be more than powerful enough for his needs. But I can't
imagine the amp would be driven into clipping before little 5x7's would
start distorting from overexcursion. I really think the possibility that
it's an amp problem is very slim. As for replacing the speakers, I'm afraid
that getting larger speakers may be his only real possibility. 5x7's don't
generally come as full-range speakers. They usually need to be high-passed
relatively high, providing very little midbass.

Remember that doubling the wattage only give a 3dB gain in volume.

This is generally true for subs, but not so for full range speakers.

"Good" sounds comes relatively cheap. "Loud" sound comes relatively

cheap.
If you want "Good Loud" sound you have to pay for it.

You can get by fairly cheap if you do the installation yourself and buy
used!

Kevin McMurtrie

In article
ogers.com,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

Evening all,

I am having trouble with the stereo in my 2003 extended cab Ford Ranger.

Here is my stereo set up,

I am using the stock Ford 6 disk in dash head unit (I have no room for an
aftermarket 6 disk changer). Two pair of Alpine SPR-574A 5" x 7" Type-R
Coaxial 2-Way Speaker to replace the four stock 5x7 speakers,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...PR-574A&p_cate
gory=80&p_subcategory=90&p_main=10

For Amps I am using an Alpine MRP-F240 4x50 amp to power the four 5x7
speakers,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...RP-F240&p_cate
gory=40&p_subcategory=120&p_main=10

And an Alpine MRP-M350 1x350 amp to power my sub,

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/...RP-M350&p_cate
gory=40&p_subcategory=140&p_main=10

[...]

Do you have a high-pass filter on your little speakers? They can't
handle it.

Budgetaudio

Can you adjust the high pass any? Maybe you need the high pass set a little
higher?

Troy
carbudgetaudio.com
thelizman

David F. Eisan wrote:
I am hearing a clicking
sound from my front speakers that I think is clipping, it always goes away
when I lower the volume.

How can I fix this problem? I want to play my system louder than I do now
(driving down the highway with the windows down), but I cannot due to the
clipping.

Either a) engage the amps high-pass crossover if it is not already
engaged, or b) raise the crossover point for your highs to a higher
frequency.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
thelizman

MZ wrote:
I don't think what you're experiencing is amplifier clipping. It's probably
the speakers bottoming out - being driven beyond their limits.

Hence, the speakers are clipping.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
MZ

I don't think what you're experiencing is amplifier clipping. It's
probably
the speakers bottoming out - being driven beyond their limits.

Hence, the speakers are clipping.

I suppose you could call it that, though it's not generally used. The
distinction is important because he seemed to imply in his post that the
amplifier was the culprit. That of course suggests that the amplifier was
clipping, which I don't believe is the case.

thelizman

MZ wrote:
I suppose...could...not generally...seemed to imply...suggests...I don't believe...

The Persecution rests, your honor.