anti-mouse frequency(ies)

Old October 19th 04, 10:48 PM
Jerome

Default anti-mouse frequency(ies)

Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!
Old October 19th 04, 10:56 PM
Nick

"Jerome" > wrote in message
om...
> Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
> devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
> wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
> I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
> are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
> work? Thanks!

Think "studio cat." You can get them real cheap at the local shelter.
They're also real good for calming your nerves after a stressful recording
session.

Not sure what frequency a purr is. Must be around 50 or 60 Hz.

Very soothing though. Mice hate it.

;-)

--Nick

Old October 19th 04, 11:43 PM
Steven Sena

I had a big Rat in my speaker shop when I worked at McCune A/V in San
Francisco...
I got a 500 watt Hafler amp and a high compression driver (tweeter) and fed
it a 22K hertz sine wave. The Rat ran out from behind the shelving looked at
me and ran as fast as he could out the door... YMMV...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

om...

Old October 20th 04, 12:09 AM

In article >,
Jerome > wrote:
>Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
>devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
>wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
>I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
>are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
>work? Thanks!

My wife tried some ultrasonic eliminators, and they produced a repetitive
wideband sound starting around 60 KHz and rising. I don't think you would
be able to do this with a conventional speaker or even the Tannoy Ellipse.
You're going to need a specialized transducer. Also, they didn't do anything
to get rid of the mice.

I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my wife has,
which will let mice run right across him. She wound up using traps, which
were effective.
Old October 20th 04, 01:11 AM
Bob Smith

"Jerome" > wrote in message
om...
> Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
> devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
> wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
> I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
> are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
> work? Thanks!

The devices you can buy at the hardware store emit a chirp - they sweep from
25KHz to something above 60KHz, then repeat. Theoretically rodents don't
like the sound. Either the devices don't put out enough SPL or the rodents
don't care. I put some into a space invaded by rodents. Did NOT work.

Far more effective:

0.375 in OD emergency whistle sold at REI mounted in 0.375 ID tubing snaked
into difficult to reach spaces. Use approximately 20 to 40 PSI from an air
compressor. Wear hearing protection. This will make them exit the immediate
area. They will return so other means are necessary to eradicate them.

Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective, especially
when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system described
above.

Bait stations with glueboards. Mix cornmeal and plaster of paris for bait.
It solidifies in their stomachs. Glueboards keep them from travelling far.
You don't want them dying in the walls or ceiling.

Stray cat - the alley kind, already used to catching their own meal and
quite good at it.

..38 revolver - if you are a good marksman this is also very effective - if
not expect increased ventilation from the new holes in the walls, ceiling or
roof. If you have neighbors they may get excited when this method is
employed so check local ordinances first.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Old October 20th 04, 01:37 AM
Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my wife has,
> which will let mice run right across him. She wound up using traps, which
> were effective.

Ours is reasonably effective. Weighs a tad over 19 pounds and (during the Summer anyway) maintains that weight while eating less than a cup of dry food per day. The rest of his caloric intake is prey. During the Winter the dry food consumption more than doubles and his weight goes up a pound or so. Very good natured, too.

Old October 20th 04, 01:49 AM
Patrick Thompson

Get a stack of Hiwatts, an SG, set everything on 10, and windmill an E
chord.

om...

Old October 20th 04, 02:43 AM
Blind Joni

>Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective, especially
>when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system described
>above.

I have found that with traps one technique is really effective. Rented a
country home 6 or 7 years ago..had one mouse and this thing would NEVER get
into a trap no matter what the bait. Had mouse terds on the counters every
morning. I had a flash .. the mouse was ****ting all over the place and could
be marking a trail..marker bouys if you will. Set the trap that night but
spooned up some droppings and made a trail right up to the trap. I was asleep
about 10 minutes and SNAP!!!

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Old October 20th 04, 05:55 AM
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my
> wife has, which will let mice run right across him.

He's Ghandi, you dummy.

--
ha

FS: BLUE Mouse mic Cheapseller Pro Audio 0 August 16th 04 07:09 PM
usb mouse can cause problems to audio? loopus in fabula Pro Audio 3 February 28th 04 03:57 PM
mazda anti theft Garry Miller Car Audio 2 October 28th 03 05:12 PM
USB 2.0 Mouse Matt Pro Audio 0 October 22nd 03 11:51 AM
Why DBTs in audio do not deliver (was: Finally ... The Furutech CD-do-something) Bob Marcus High End Audio 313 September 9th 03 01:17 AM