Scott Dorsey

Blackburst wrote:
I need to videotape for cable an oft-moved candidates debate. I was just
informed that it will be live in the studio of a local FM station, TONIGHT.
That limits me to one camera. That camera is a Panasonic PV-GS15 MiniDV
camcorder, with only a single "mic" input. (I do not have ready access to
additional mics or mixers).

I presume I can get a feed from the radio station. I presume it will be line
level, either -10 or +4. What would be the best way to interface to the
camcorder's 1/8" mic input? Of course, it has undefeatable AGC, so I need to
get near the correct level to minimize pumping.

I have a direct box with associated cables, and a few hi-lo impedance matching
xformers.

HELP!

Go to Radio Shack and get the pad they specifically sell for plugging an
RCA line level input into a consumer camcorder. Use an isolation transformer
to unbalance the feed you get from the FM guys (a DI box in reverse might be
fine).

You cannot do anything about the AGC pumping so just live with it. Setting
the levels perfectly won't make it any better.
Blackburst

Thanks for the advice! Just FYI, I did it and it worked!

The radio station fed me from their headphone amplifier (aaaarrrgghhh!). I went
1/4" to the input of a direct box, then used an XLR to mini 1/8" cable to the
camcorder mic in.

At first test, the air audio was too hot. I tried the -40 pad, but the sound
disappeared. The -12 pad brought the level into the ballpark. Then I adjusted
the headphone amp to feed approximately the same level as the built-in mic.

During the interstitials, the commercial breaks, I just reached over and
unplugged the line feed, opening up the built-in mic.

The mic-in on the camcorder must be stereo, as the audio was only on the left
channel. The level was perfect with no audible hiss or pumping!!!

Isn't this what audio operations are about so often: interfacing equipment to
get the right levels, the right sound? Maybe this wasn't textbook, but the
result was perfect!