James

Default Vintage Sony Mic Needs Repair C-38B

Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?
ANy suggestions would be appreciated, thanks very much. BTW For those
that are fans of these cool mics, you should know that contrary to
popular opinion, Sony DOES still provide capsules for these mics (at
least they did about two years ago when I got mine from them).

Please email me at or post here.
Many thanks.

Kind Regards,
Black Egg Studios, Boston
Rob Reedijk

James wrote:
Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?
ANy suggestions would be appreciated, thanks very much. BTW For those
that are fans of these cool mics, you should know that contrary to
popular opinion, Sony DOES still provide capsules for these mics (at
least they did about two years ago when I got mine from them).

Please email me at or post here.
Many thanks.

Check with Doug Walker. He is doing a lot of the old Neumann and AKG
mics for people in North America. I don't know if he does Sony mics,
but I don't see why not.

Rob R.
James

If the capsule is OK, what's the problem?

If the electronics need to be looked at, any good tech should be able to fix
the mic, assuming he has access to the schematic.
I don't remember the C38 being all that complicated when I saw the schemo...

Is it OK? I don't know. Indeed that may be the case but I am not
qualified to work on it and there is always the possibility it is the
capsule even though its only a couple years old. It is rather
bizarre symptoms, working perfectly and then it went "dark" sounding
all of a sudden, lost its high end presence and also some output
level. DOes that sound like a capsule or something else? There is
no intermittence.

Thanks for the recommendation on Doug Walker in CA. I had heard he
was the guy on these old Sony mics and couldn't recall his name.

Thanks very much for the help.

Kind Regards,
Black Egg Studios, Boston

Dan Kennedy

Actually that symptom sounds more like a problem with
the switch on the back. It's a really crappy '70's vintage
Japanese hifi sort of thing in there. A little contact
cleaner may take care of your problem.

James wrote:
[...]

Eric K. Weber

Which switch on the back is that? Are you thinking about a different
microphone the C48 possibly....?
The pattern switch is mechanical not electrical on the C38 it closes the
vent ports on the back of the capsule to make it Omni. The internal switch
which goes from battery to phantom might be an issue.... have you tried it
on battery supply instead of phantom?

Rgds:
Eric

James wrote:
[...]

Dan Kennedy

The C38A or B is roughly the same as the C37FET isn't it? It has that
rotary switch knob around the output cable, and it also has in internal
low-pass filter switch, both of which can get iffy...

A bit of difference in the powering circuits, but I think the main audio
paths are very similar.

But I've certainly been wrong before.

James wrote:

[...]

Eric K. Weber

Dan look here for a picture....

http://homepage2.nifty.com/tac_yagi/...photo/c38b.jpg
or
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/business/...11971&KM=C-38B

I did had a copy of the schematic for the C38 but cant seem to locate it
now... no exotic parts...

I have the tube versions C37A and C800

James wrote:

[...]

Eric K. Weber

Dan appears to have been correct about the switches just not their
location.... looks like they are inside the case....

Look here for the schematics.....

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/schematics.html

Regards:
Eric

Dan Kennedy

I should have been more clear I suppose. The switch activator is the
knurled knob around the output cable, it's geared to the switch located
inside, the low pass is mounted on the circuit board.

Another source of problems with these mics is the electrolytic in the dc
to dc converter drying up. It's in the shielded case down at the bottom
of the mic.

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Dan appears to have been correct about the switches just not their
location.... looks like they are inside the case....

Look here for the schematics.....

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/schematics.html

Regards:
Eric

Bob Olhsson

"James" wrote in message
om...
Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
reissued) Sony C-38B repaired?

How about Sony factory service?

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

James

I have been away for a few days and haven't checked newsgroups.

Thanks to all for the very valuable suggestions.

I had checked all the famous and funky sony switches before posting so
i am hoping it is one of the simpler repairs mentioned by a few
others, a cap or something. Just to clarify, indeed the C-38B has the
funky mechanical pattern selector mounted behind the capsule, and the
multi switch located at the base of the mic, plus the two switches
"under the hood".

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the reissues? do they rate?
they certainly are pricey at $2200 although I guess they figure they
are competing against the U87.

BTW for those that are interested I think this is a fairly accurate
history of the mic from a recent review of the reissue by Barry
Rudolph:

"...the genesis for this mic goes back to 1965 with the original
C-38FET, the world's first Field Effect Transistor microphone and the
successor to the famed C-37A tube mic. The C-38 was then updated in
1969 (C-38A) with a windscreen design change, and again in 1971
(C-38B) with phantom powering (9-volt internal battery or external DC
24V to 48V). The mic was 'reintroduced' to the US market at the 2003
AES Show even though there are over 65,000 in use today."

kind regards and thanks again to all the rec.audio.pro gurus for all
the advice.
james

Geoley

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the reissues? do they rate?

Like Barry Rudolph said in his Mix (I think) review, the C-38B never
went out of production in Japan other than the typical Sony thing
(which often starts "out of production" rumors) of turning production
off when they have enough in stock, and turning it back on when they
need more. It apparently didn't sell all that well in the US, so they
stopped selling it and 10 or so years ago introduced the C-800, which
uses the same capsule. That was one of those mics where a few people
raved about it but most were lukewarm about it and it was frightfully
expensive, particularly the Peltier-cooled version.

I guess that with the interest in high grade/priced mics in the US,
they decided to ship some C-38Bs over here and send out a press
release to see if its time has come around yet.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Back in the early 70's I bought a brand new pair of Sony C-37 mics. They had
the screw driver (a little green handle screw driver was included in the
carrying case) hole on the back of the grill to change the pattern.
They were not tube mics but fets and used 48
volt phantom power with no internal battery. When I quit recording in 1980,
I gave these mics to a relative who recently sold them on EBay for $1200.00.
Just my 2 cents

Geoley