Handywired

Default Is DVD-R a viable backup media for ProTools??

I am hoping it is, because other than the cost of the drive, it would provide a
cheap way to back stuff up for my clients with small budgets.

I would not, of course, expect to be able to actually play back the sessions
from it; I'd xfer them to my working hard drives(s) and then work from that.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, all!

-jeff
Danny Taddei

The ones I have used are a little temperamental but I think that is
because I bought them when dvd was bran new and the bugs were not yet
worked through. I had a cutting edge DVD that would do both CD and DVD
(Whahooooo!) and dvd record speed is 2x! Now you can buy a 8x DVD-r/+r/
4x -rw/+rw 42xcdr/cdrw and so on for $109.99 from other world computing.

I would caution you to test the dvd and or make 2 copies before erasing
your drives. I have drives that I keep as backup without telling anyone
figuring that if they don't know there is a back up they will take care
of the tracks on the dvd a little better. IF they think they can kill
the dvd they will.

Handywired wrote:

I am hoping it is, because other than the cost of the drive, it would provide a
cheap way to back stuff up for my clients with small budgets.

I would not, of course, expect to be able to actually play back the sessions
from it; I'd xfer them to my working hard drives(s) and then work from that.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, all!

-jeff

Danny Taddei

I just thought about it, and went out to
http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_MailL...Item=PIODVR107
to buy one and found out that they dropped the price to 107.50. I had it
sent 2nd day DHL so by wednesday night I can tell anyone that wants to
know, if it works well. The notes say it will work with all the apple
software i.e. itunes, iDVD and so on.

Handywired wrote:

I am hoping it is, because other than the cost of the drive, it would
provide a
cheap way to back stuff up for my clients with small budgets.

I would not, of course, expect to be able to actually play back the
sessions
from it; I'd xfer them to my working hard drives(s) and then work from
that.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks, all!

-jeff

John

I've been trying out DVD-R as a backup medium for a few months. I use it to
backup my Sonar sessions. As a matter of fact, I've had poor results with
DVD-R here. I have burned several DVD movies with no problems, but for
whatever reason, archiving is not working as expected.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Handywired

I've been trying out DVD-R as a backup medium for a few months. I use it
backup my Sonar sessions. snip for
whatever reason, archiving is not working as expected.

What isn't working??

-jeff

Monte McGuire

In article 54Kwc.31364$lL1.8843@fed1read03,
Danny Taddei wrote:
I would caution you to test the dvd and or make 2 copies before erasing
your drives. I have drives that I keep as backup without telling anyone
figuring that if they don't know there is a back up they will take care
of the tracks on the dvd a little better. IF they think they can kill
the dvd they will.

A good way to test the DVD is to use a data comparison utility to
compare the finished DVD to the source files. Toast has such a feature
in its utility menu. It can compare either a single file or a complete
directory tree and tell you if any of the files have even a single bit
error. IMHO, this is mandatory after every copy. You would not believe
what can go wrong that the OS will not pick up. Do not trust the
machine to make a clean copy but instead make the machine read the
backup again and compare it to the source.

By doing this, you test two things: whether the copied data read back as
what was written and also, much more subtle and still important, whether
the source that provided the data read the same twice. Yes, it's still
possible that a copy verified in this way is still fraudulent, but the
likelihood of that is the square of the raw error rate for making one
copy. In other words, it's pretty darn unlikely unless your procedure
is failing right and left.

In closing, never trust a computer and always verify your copied data.
You'd be surprised to find out how often copies go awry...

Regards,

Monte McGuire

John

What isn't working??

-jeff

Well, three seperate attempts (all more then 3 Gigs), failed to burn. I
honestly don't remember the error message at this time, but if memory serves,
it was some form of corrupt data message. But the fact that I got this on
three different groups of files, is odd. Also, every one of these projects
loads fine. strange...

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Kurt Albershardt

John wrote:

What isn't working??

Well, three seperate attempts (all more then 3 Gigs), failed to burn. I
honestly don't remember the error message at this time, but if memory serves,
it was some form of corrupt data message. But the fact that I got this on
three different groups of files, is odd. Also, every one of these projects
loads fine. strange...

What filesystem was on the DVD-R?

Ted Spencer

three seperate attempts (all more then 3 Gigs), failed to burn. I
honestly don't remember the error message at this time, but if memory serves,
it was some form of corrupt data message. But the fact that I got this on
three different groups of files, is odd. Also, every one of these projects
loads fine. strange...

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

I had a batch of DVD-Rs that I got from Meritline and every single one of them
would fail if I tried to put over 4 GB of data on them (btw the normal limit is
about 4.4, not 4.7 as advertised). On the other hand, up to 3.99 GB was no
problem, ever.

Apple branded DVD-Rs would go the full 4.4 without a hitch every time.

I've been using DVDs as permanent archives for Pro Tools for about a year and a
half and have had no other problems. I agree with Monte though, data
verification is essential (I do it as part of the normal process in Toast).

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

John

From: (Ted Spencer)

three seperate attempts (all more then 3 Gigs), failed to burn. I
honestly don't remember the error message at this time, but if memory

serves,
it was some form of corrupt data message. But the fact that I got this on
three different groups of files, is odd. Also, every one of these projects
loads fine. strange...

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

I had a batch of DVD-Rs that I got from Meritline and every single one of
them
would fail if I tried to put over 4 GB of data on them (btw the normal limit
is
about 4.4, not 4.7 as advertised). On the other hand, up to 3.99 GB was no
problem, ever.

That's interesting... I'll try it again, without trying to fit quite as much
on the discs. I'm using CompUSA brand (crap) and Sony DVD-Rs.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Danny Taddei

sounds like the outside edge of the disc isn't covered right. That does
make sense

Handywired

As a followup, I have succesfully backed up a couple projects on my DVD drive
via Toast. None over a gig, but so far, so good! It seems like it just might
be the solution I was hoping for (knock on wood!!)

-jeff
david

In article , Handywired
wrote:

As a followup, I have succesfully backed up a couple projects on my DVD drive
via Toast. None over a gig, but so far, so good! It seems like it just might
be the solution I was hoping for (knock on wood!!)

-jeff

Been backing up PT and Sound Designer data onto DVD's with Toast and an
Apple Superdrive for years. Zero problems. (My Quicksilver 867 has been
a gem!)

Be sure and let Toast verify your data after burning. And don't buy
them el cheapo blanks, the name brands are so damn cheap today.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

Recommendations for Backup Software for LP/CD Database Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 23 April 30th 04 09:02 PM
C2 errors and other media questions Kevin McDonough Pro Audio 2 February 28th 04 12:26 AM
XP Backup Phil Audio Opinions 10 October 21st 03 10:16 AM
OT : XP Backup Lionel Audio Opinions 2 October 5th 03 09:59 PM
location recording backup system hollywood_steve Pro Audio 10 August 23rd 03 11:44 PM