AKT

Default Quad's dynamic speakers

To avoid any misunderstanding, this post is not about ESL's but Quad's
dynamic speakers (21/22L?). A claim was made in another post that these
are "much better" than Spendor, Proac, Dynaudio. I was wondering if
people strongly agree or disagree with that.

I happen to own Spendor BC-1's and occasionally toy with the idea of
either a current Spendor or a Proac/Dynaudio model as possible upgrade.
However, if 21/22L's are better that will surely simplify my fantasy
life. All in all, are the Quads an improvement on BC-1's or more of
a horizontal move?

Thanks and I do know I have to make any purchase decisions myself. I am
merely curious about the opinion of those who happen to know these
speakers.
MINe 109

In article , AKT
wrote:

To avoid any misunderstanding, this post is not about ESL's but Quad's
dynamic speakers (21/22L?). A claim was made in another post that these
are "much better" than Spendor, Proac, Dynaudio. I was wondering if
people strongly agree or disagree with that.

I happen to own Spendor BC-1's and occasionally toy with the idea of
either a current Spendor or a Proac/Dynaudio model as possible upgrade.
However, if 21/22L's are better that will surely simplify my fantasy
life. All in all, are the Quads an improvement on BC-1's or more of
a horizontal move?

Thanks and I do know I have to make any purchase decisions myself. I am
merely curious about the opinion of those who happen to know these
speakers.

I believe the claim was that ESLs are much better. However, I'm also
curious about these speakers.

Stephen
Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:14:06 GMT, AKT wrote:

To avoid any misunderstanding, this post is not about ESL's but Quad's
dynamic speakers (21/22L?). A claim was made in another post that these
are "much better" than Spendor, Proac, Dynaudio. I was wondering if
people strongly agree or disagree with that.

Disagree, but there's no need for strength! :-)

I happen to own Spendor BC-1's and occasionally toy with the idea of
either a current Spendor or a Proac/Dynaudio model as possible upgrade.
However, if 21/22L's are better that will surely simplify my fantasy
life. All in all, are the Quads an improvement on BC-1's or more of
a horizontal move?

They are an improvement, but only because they're thirty years newer!
Try new Spendors, or particularly the Dynaudio Audience 52SE.

Marc Phillips

AKT said:

To avoid any misunderstanding, this post is not about ESL's but Quad's
dynamic speakers (21/22L?). A claim was made in another post that these
are "much better" than Spendor, Proac, Dynaudio. I was wondering if
people strongly agree or disagree with that.

I happen to own Spendor BC-1's and occasionally toy with the idea of
either a current Spendor or a Proac/Dynaudio model as possible upgrade.
However, if 21/22L's are better that will surely simplify my fantasy
life. All in all, are the Quads an improvement on BC-1's or more of
a horizontal move?

Thanks and I do know I have to make any purchase decisions myself. I am
merely curious about the opinion of those who happen to know these
speakers.

The current Quad dynamic speakers are actually very good for the money. But
I'm not sure they would replace your BC-1s. The current "classic" line
speakers, which includes the SP3/1, the SP2/3, the SP1/2, and the SP100, all
sound magnificent, and most of them would be a much more logical step up from
your BC1s. I'd also suggest Harbeth, especially the Compact 7-es and the
Monitor 30.

Boon
AKT

Marc Phillips wrote:

: The current Quad dynamic speakers are actually very good for the money.
: But I'm not sure they would replace your BC-1s. The current "classic" line
: speakers, which includes the SP3/1, the SP2/3, the SP1/2, and the SP100,
: all sound magnificent, and most of them would be a much more logical step
: up from your BC1s.

Thanks, Marc. I am curious if you had a chance to compare "classic"
ones like SP1/2 with newer ones like S-6e?

: I'd also suggest Harbeth, especially the Compact 7-es and the
: Monitor 30.
:
: Boon

Marc Phillips

AKT said:

Thanks, Marc. I am curious if you had a chance to compare "classic"
ones like SP1/2 with newer ones like S-6e?

I have, and there's a bit of a consensus that the newer line was designed for
American tastes, and for home theatre applications. They sound nice and
dynamic, but their very different from the classic, refined British sound that
Spendor is famous for. I own a pair of SP100s and a pair of S20s, and the S6
and the S8 wouldn't make me happy in the long run.

Boon
Fleetie

Quad Dynamic Speakers: A sign of being tied to the Yankee dollar.

No, I've never heard them,but in my extremely arrogant opinion,
I reckon the rather low-priced Quad dynamic (moving coil) speakers
are unlikely to be anywhere near the best examples of the art.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Marc Phillips

Fleetie said:

Quad Dynamic Speakers: A sign of being tied to the Yankee dollar.

No, I've never heard them,but in my extremely arrogant opinion,
I reckon the rather low-priced Quad dynamic (moving coil) speakers
are unlikely to be anywhere near the best examples of the art.

Great. Having opinions on speakers you've never heard.

Where's Greg Singh's utter and violent disdain when you need it?

Boon
AKT

At times I have come across the phrase "Wharfdale Quad" seemingly
implying as if the two companies had merged. Is that the case? Or are
Quad producs still eparate?