Hawk

Default Adding a Powered sub-woofer to Toyota Corolla

I have 2001 Toyota Corolla with factory Radio/cassete player. I was
planning to add a subwoofer in to get more bass, and came across three
options.

1) Add a powered subwoffer tube like Bazooka,
2) Install a single sub along with an amp
3) Replace the factory speakers with good speakers that may add some
bass

I would not like to replace the factory radio, as I also plan to add a
CD/MP3 changer and the factory radio has an option to connect CD
changer to it. But unfortunately the factory radio does not have any
RCA out.

The harness has output for two front speakers and two rear speakers.

As I do not have experience in this area, I'll appreciate if someone
can let me know my options. Some questions that are popping in my head
are... If I use a bazooka sub, where will I get the audio signal
from?, where will I connect the amp, as adding an amp to existing amp
will also ampify the distortion.

Thanks,
Vikas
cnewbie

Step 1, replace the factory speakers. The change there alone will be a
night and day difference. I cannot recommend the Infinity Kappa series more
highly. Go to www.crutchfield.com to figure out what sizes you'll need.
Buy from eBay though, very very cheap even if you use the buyItNow option.
Step 2. Consider replacing the factory radio. Even though you want to add a
CD changer, the OEM compatible CD changers are really very very expensive
relative to aftermarket. You could easily connect the aftermarket stereo
with the factory wiring (and keep the factory stereo to reinstall when you
sell the car) using the harness that crutchfield will provide you for free
(or if you get the headunit elsewhere, you can buy the harness for $15 or
so). Another point here is in this day and age people want to listen to
mp3s in their cars or utilize iPod-like devices. The aftermarket headunit
you buy should have aux input(s) to facilitate this.
Step 3. Get the amp and a sub. That's a more detailed discussion than this
high level one.
Good luck
"Hawk" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hawk

I appreciate your suggestions. I didn't realize that a Japanese
carmaker would put sub-standard speakers in their cars, especially
when Japanese are leaders in the electronics market.
Thanks,
Vikas

"cnewbie" wrote in message ...
[...]
"Hawk" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bruce Chang

"Hawk" wrote in message
om...
I appreciate your suggestions. I didn't realize that a Japanese
carmaker would put sub-standard speakers in their cars, especially
when Japanese are leaders in the electronics market.
Thanks,
Vikas

Perhaps when Sony, JVC or the like starts manufacturing cars, sub-standard
speakers will be a thing of the past.

Rob Beech

"Bruce Chang" wrote in message

"Hawk" wrote in message
om...
I appreciate your suggestions. I didn't realize that a Japanese
carmaker would put sub-standard speakers in their cars, especially
when Japanese are leaders in the electronics market.
Thanks,
Vikas

Perhaps when Sony, JVC or the like starts manufacturing cars, sub-standard
speakers will be a thing of the past.

A fair comment Bruce.

As is often the case with car speakers. It is the amplifier (in the stereo)
that is to blame for poor sound. (even with the factory fitted units).

If you look into standard replacement drivers for the vehicle you will find
them rated between 40 and 100 watts prg each (for the toyota it will be to
the higher end of this range (being a larger car)).

The standard amp in teh stereo and in most stereo's are nothing like this
power (approx 20-30watts per channel)

Installing an amplifier to power these speakers properly will cure alot of
your problems in most cases (and save your valuable boot space).

If you still find you need to add a sub. you are best ot make it yourslef to
fit the particular car (or get someone to do it) This can make them utilise
the sapce available leaving enough for...what a boot is for.
You would need an amp for this. so its a wise move to try the amp on teh
regular car speakers first